Foolproof Crota Boss Guide (Spoilers) (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 19, 2014, 11:54 (3414 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Read on if you just can't kill him. The fight is easier than you think. I completed the raid 5 times at this point, and have done all the jobs in the last fight. This is what worked for me and my teams,

Need I remind you: "I swear to God, I may or may not strangle Cody if he ever attends a LAN."
I'm surprised that the teams you've been in have been successful in spite of your... Well, you. :P

Sword Carrier-

The hunter is the best class for this because 1. You can have tons of agility, and 2. you can go invisible making it much easier to stay in position. Max out your agility if you like. You won't be getting hit, and you can't recover life without the chalice, so armor and recovery do not matter in this fight. If you have MIDA, equip it as well. Turn on Escape Artist (Invisibility on blink strike hit), ShadowJack (increased invisibility duration), and Stalker (crouch to go invisible).

I dunno about all that... I seem to remember bringing the sun down into the Dark Below...
Because of Crota's ridiculously fickle nature, a self-Rez is more reliable than a blink strike, especially since it can be coupled with the Cheese method...
Also, a Warlock can hover out of his reach then work his way back quickly with the sword without ever touching the ground.

Your goal as the sword carrier should be to not die, and to get in as many hits as safely possible. You will either get 3 or 4 R2 strikes in before Crota's vulnerability wears off. The key to getting 4 is attacking him the instant he starts to kneel. If you are at all late behind this, only go for three. You have plenty of time, so don't get greedy.

Gotta watch out for his unpredictable behavior. He doesn't seem to follow a strict timing pattern when it comes to being downed, and his reach is borderline broken.

The best way to ensure you can start damaging him right away is to go invisible. While on the rocks, crouch, then jump up. This way, you can be near and you don't have to rely on precise timing. After your hits, right as he starts to turn orange, drop the sword, land a blink strike to turn invisible, then pick up the sword again while staying close. This way, you should not have much trouble with timing, and you can get in more hits.

I guess that could work, though I've yet to see a Hunter pull any of that off with any measure of success *cough* Cody *cough*...

Practice. This fight is actually easier than Atheon by quite a bit.

You basically just told us all of the tactics we've been refining, testing, and reviewing over the past two weeks... The problem isn't in the strategy. It's in the communication, execution, and timing. After last night, I'm confident in being able to bring Crota down much faster the next time...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread