Perspective (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Friday, January 23, 2015, 21:23 (3383 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Avateur, Friday, January 23, 2015, 21:43

So I saw this thing the other day that made me realize a bunch of things.

Basically, the past two months have given me a ton of perspective on my issues with Destiny. Destiny is frustrating. I fully believe that plenty of Destiny is extremely hostile to the player, and many aspects of it absolutely respect no one's time and are purposely designed to be a bitch. At the same time, I completely enjoy the majority of the game, even if the minority parts that are frustrating can really, really pack on the disappointment and frustration.

The thing is, whether for better or for worse, Bungie had/has a vision and a design in mind, and they're executing it to the ability that they feel is the way it should be. Sure, there are still connection problems and all sorts of random, whacky glitches. Yes, many of the design decisions are what I would call questionable at best and cruel at worst. But the thing is, Bungie released a game that largely works and has worked according to their design from day one.

From day one, I've been able to join friends, chat with friends, and play with friends. Since day one, I've been able to find Crucible matches in no time. The way the game plays is pretty much solid. Bungie is pretty good at releasing patches and fixes to this game, and they only seem to cause a few additional problems when they're released.

The article you posted is a pretty good one. I'd disagree that it was also the worst game of 2014. Like I said, I saw something the other day that put it all into perspective. I've said plenty over the years about companies like EA releasing horribly busted or incomplete games to the public, letting people pay to basically Beta test their busted product so that they can just patch it to completion. That's basically just me trying to put it into perspective. Well, now I see that there's actually a mostly busted game out there that's going to have people Beta test a patch. People literally actually did pay for the game for the pleasure of having the opportunity to Beta it and its fixes. Now I think I've seen it all.

And you know, I'm glad that I had the ability to gain this perspective. Random zoo-related or fruit-related connection errors and grindy things in Destiny can seriously get on my nerves and many other peoples' nerves, but I am truly thankful that Bungie released a game that was as complete and worked as according to design, give or take some hiccups, as Bungie probably could have hoped for. I'm truly thankful to Bungie for the time and effort they put into getting these things right. I seriously, truly enjoy playing this game, and I absolutely love playing it with all of my many friends in real life and from here at DBO. So, thank you Bungie for everything that you do! And thanks Kermit for linking to that article, because I enjoyed reading it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread