High ROF Autorifles (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, February 06, 2015, 16:44 (3369 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by RaichuKFM, Friday, February 06, 2015, 16:56

Get in close? Maybe if you're doing patrol or playing low level stuff, but as the difficulty goes up, so does the optimal range. I'd love to see you do a nightfall with such an autorifle. I'd love to see you do Crota with such an autorifle. I'd even love to see you do a level 30 daily as fast or faster than a handcannon / scout rifle with such an autorifle.

High level stuff has too much HP and is too damaging. It matters more to actually kill enemies more quickly. Hand cannon kills after 1 bullet. You have to empty 20 or 30 from your autorifle. Meanwhile I'm aiming at another enemy, and you have to reload.

I don't reload after twenty or thirty bullets, I'm using the 72-round gun, remember? I've done Crota. It wasn't any harder than the first time I did the Vault. I haven't done a Nightfall, but I've done Weeklies on the highest difficulty, with relatively little trouble. I don't do speed runs. What do I care if your hand cannon is faster? So you're saying you can kill in one bullet. That's, what, 1/13 of Hawkmoon's magazine? That's five-and-a-half bullets from my gun, so no, I can't keep up if you're one-shotting literally every non-yellow enemy. But on the off-chance you're not some godly headshot savant with snap reflexes, I point to the fact that it's easier to spray bullets into something's chest than one shot to the head, so I don't take as much time to aim. You still might be faster, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Again, I don't do speedruns. I can still kill things competently. If you're really that much faster than me, it's because you're better than me, not really my gun of choice, I guarantee it. You'd probably still be faster than me if you were using Doctor Nope; my priority in doing the Daily isn't really ever speed. Doing something really fast to try and beat my previous speed is fun to me in like, Rayman, but it's just not my thing in an FPS.

As for closing, I can punch things from farther away than they can punch me, generally, because I'm a Warlock; even if one's not, it's just a matter of timing. Time it right and I can take out a charging Major Vandal wielding swords, just by smacking him and interrupting his swing, and follow it up. I mean, I can't win the ensuing duke-out, so I (or someone else) have to have shot them up first, and it's a very risky proposition with Lightswitch on, but still possible, and rather satisfying. Snap Discharge (or Rain Blows or Switchblade) helps immensely. If getting in close doesn't work, I don't do it, I'm not stupid. You know people punched their way through Crota's End, though, right? Just because the optimal range is far away doesn't mean it's the only viable range, and sometimes the harder way is more fun because its hard, or the more fun way for someone just happens to be harder. So if playing close is more fun to me, I'll play close; if a certain encounter isn't fun to play close, I adapt. It's really not that hard to do.

What the hell kind of weapon jingoism is this, anyways? I have more fun with Auto Rifles, especially the bullet hoses, than I do with other guns. People were saying the bullet hoses were worse than they were, I disagreed, and it eventually settled down into getting to the crux of the matter, which made sense. But now it's just "But scout rifles (or hand cannons) are just better" which is just stupid? They literally work differently. My whole point is it comes down to playstyle, and personal preference. I'm pretty sure there are just some people who would like an assault rifle over a pistol because they prefer assault rifles, even if its an encounter that blatantly favors a pistol. If that makes sense to you, well, there we have it. Some guns are just more fun for some people, optimal efficacy be damned. If that doesn't make sense to you, then this won't go anywhere.

Point-and-shoot the thing. Would you rather hold down the trigger to continue shooting the thing, or just click once to shoot the thing again? Fairly intractable which one someone prefers, innit?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread