Repercussions

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 14:11 (4047 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Tell me more about this. No, not about the loin cloth and banana peel. How does PvP encounter/fighting work in WoW? Have you played any other games that have a similar mechanic? I've never played anything like this, so I'd like to know more about it if only to help speculate on what Bungie might be thinking.

What is item-binding? Could that be altered to allow things to be "lose-able" but under more...controlled circumstances?

You can flag yourself to participate in PvP in the open world, or not. When you die, items just remain on your corpse until you return and retrieve them...as far as I recall from when I played years ago.

Right. In WoW you never lose items when you die. If you're killed, either by a monster or other player, your spirit appears at a somewhat nearby graveyard. You then run your spirit to your body and "revive". All of your gear is still yours, although everything takes damage that costs in-game currency to repair.

Item binding makes it so that once you have an item (rare weapon or equipment piece), you can't give or sell that item to other players in-game, effectively making you the permanent owner. If you want to get rid of the item, you can either destroy it or sell it to an NPC vendor for gold. Some items are bind-on-pickup, meaning that it's yours as soon as it's in your inventory. Other items are bind-on-equip, meaning that you can hold onto it, carry it around, and sell it to other players, just as long as you don't actually equip the item first.

I think these are fairly consistent mechanics for the MMORPG genre, but I could be wrong.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread