tl;dr, Cody was wrong yet again. (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, February 16, 2015, 14:01 (3380 days ago) @ yakaman

Bungie's no Bethesda, so experience is really what hurt them trying to make a quest-based non-linear campaign... Overhauls late in development may have had an impact on this as well (see: the Grimoire Cards)... I think they did the best that their experience and time could afford, but they're getting better. Delaying the next DLC was a smart move (343, you paying attention?), since the feedback from TDB was that it was a step in the right direction in some ways, and a mistake in others... I'm feeling positive.

Heck, if nothing else, Destiny 2 definitely won't have these problems. And if we can finally unchain current-gen games from last-gen consoles, then maybe we won't have to see great ambition die...

I tend to agree here. Catering to my 360 (and my sucky internet connection!) limits what is possible. I'm also (perhaps) starting to see the grand arc of Bungie's plan with Destiny. The beachhead is established, and now their world can be improved/updated/revised on the fly.

I used to wonder where all the effort went...all those people, all that money. I think it went into the nitty-gritty. Like gravity, much of Bungie's effort went into dimensions we cannot see.

Consider what Destiny will be by this Christmas...3-4 Raids available, 3-4 expansions worth of content. Perhaps 1 or 2 new modes or whatever.

Now, imagine Destiny 2 in Christmas 2016 (or whenever), next-gen only. It's not the initial offering, it's what it will become over time.

Yeah, I'm hoping all this comes around and comes around well. There's so much potential and things they got right in the foundation of the universe that I can't wait to see them really take advantage of it all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread