I believe it doesn't

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 21, 2013, 12:30 (4050 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

That's a fairly valid - though incomplete - definition, but it doesn't match up with what we know about Destiny. The game's always-online state is to allow the player access to the persistent world. It's an integral part of the game's functionality, not a restrictive measure.

I want to agree, and I totally see where you are coming from and have the same sentiment, but in practice I don't think this is so, simply because Microsoft or Sony is the one determining who can connect, and thus who can play. With something like say, Unreal Tournament, which is likewise nearly essential to play online, you can play regardless of what anybody from the industry says, either by connecting to your favorite private server, or by creating one yourself.

Sure, Destiny will be unplayable on a banned box, but that doesn't mean Destiny will have DRM, it means XBL has DRM.

And since XBL and PSN are integral parts of Destiny, then Destiny by extension has DRM.

Be it DRM or not, the measure isn't in place to control Destiny specifically.

Always being required to connect to the publisher's / developer's server seems to me to be the epitome of trying to control their game. If the game won't operate without a connection, and they mediate the connection, then they control who has access to the content.

Whether it's about piracy or not is a totally separate question. DRM can be used for much more than just stopping pirates.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread