Client-Server != DRM

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 22, 2013, 10:42 (4046 days ago) @ kapowaz

I agree with this. But I completely refute the suggestion that the design decision to go for a client-server architecture with Destiny was one led by the desire to implement any kind of DRM controls.

Here is where the confusion lies. I AM NOT SAYING THEY DID THIS BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO ADOPT DRM. I'm sure they did it because they want the game to play a certain way, but that doesn't change the fact that IT IS DRM.

When they sat down to decide what kind of game they wanted to make, ideas like making it use a persistent world, with seamless drift-in-drift-out cooperative multiplayer would have been on the whiteboard way before anything along the lines of ‘prevent people from playing the game for some reason’.

I AGREE.

What reasons are you even envisaging that they'd have for preventing people from playing? It seems like a recurrent theme with you and DRM that it's about piracy, but I really don't think they think that's as big a deal as you think they do.

Please read more carefully, I have said no such thing. DRM is about control, not necessarily piracy as I have said many times before.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread