Always online does not equal DRM

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 25, 2013, 10:06 (4022 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So explain how that's ANY different than connecting to a Destiny server. There's no CD key to validate, but the server still has to authenticate you and choose to accept the connection. It's the exact same thing. You can only connect because the server allows you to connect. The reasons might be different, but the exact same process is happening.

It does not matter what the intent is. All the matters is the result.

This is why you need to break things down to their core. I hope I showed you why they are the same situation, but feel free to dispute anything I just said, as I value the discussion and it will either strengthen or make me change my stance.

If I had to specifically make a DRM definition, it would be this...

Legal, binding rights, pending payment, license, or explicit agreement, being managed through a digital authentication process.

This is a very different animal than implied, non-binding privileges, given by a sole owner to users. Like my use of this site.

In networking, in my opinion, account authentication is not rights authentication. One implies I own and control my login name/password, and really nothing else, the other implies that I have a contract not only for my own information, but the content I am gaining access to.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread