The 80's aren't a decade, my man. They're a state of mind! (Off-Topic)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 15:03 (3331 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As someone who came of age in the 80s (I was 15 when they started, and 25 when they ended), I'm pretty sure I can say that the 90s aren't the 80s. :) (It's actually sort of amazing - that decade was separated by life events that lined up with chronological boundaries, in a way that no other decade has ever been for me. I entered high school three months before 1980 started (my high school was just 10-12; 9th grade was part of our middle school), and I got married, moved to a new state, and started grad school in 1990. So the 80s actually WERE a decade, bookended by actual life events for me. :) )

Music is something that doesn't always line up so chronologically to me I guess. The 80's had a sound, and the 90's had a sound, and while they were pretty distinct, some acts ran past their sell-by date to me, while others started in the 80's but never really belonged to them. Maybe it's time that has melted down those demarcating bookends to me, or maybe just the order I heard things in. Soundgarden started in the 80's but I've always thought of them as a 90's group (probably because most of their hits were in the 90's); Meatloaf is a 70's guy, who released Anything for Love in 93, yet the song seems to wholly belong to the 80's, at least to me. Music is just one of those weird timeless things; but yes, I should certainly have clarified. 80's music in particular didn't belong to 1980-1989. It belongs to their spirit.

Does any of that make sense?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread