Facepalm (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:35 (3290 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why can't I put a weapon in a blank armor space? Just give us 84 GENERAL slots, and we gain so much more functionality without an increase in memory requirements.

There's a technical reason for this, I'm just not 100% sure what it is. It's related to how and when the game loads armor vs weaponry.

Have you ever taken an engram to the Cryptarch and been given a piece of armor for a different character class? Next time that happens, try to inspect the armor. You can't do it. The stats load, but the polygonal image won't appear.

Remember how Bungie couldn't add new armor as DLC to the Halo games because all the armor was actually saved as part of each map file? So adding armor would mean modifying every single map file. I think there's something like that going on in Destiny, except the armor files are tied to character class files instead of map files. So if you're playing as a Hunter, the game only loads the hi-res previews of Hunter armor into RAM.

Back to the vault, I think the armor and weapons are partitioned from each other because they're pulled from memory at different times, in different ways. At least that's my theory.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread