OM NOM NOM (Off-Topic)

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Friday, April 03, 2015, 18:42 (3316 days ago) @ unoudid

This sort of stuff is my bread and butter. You better believe that I'm devouring it.

The Halo series has always gotten superb stuff in the tiny things for its ARGs and ads. It's the little things that I see the most, and that peek out the hardest. The Believe campaign and ilovebees are two standards that I point people towards when they should know good acting and directing.

If you're going for "this universe exists" then you should have people talking over each other, and you should have people stuttering over their words a bit. (Listen to the latest audio log, and the older gentleman does this wonderfully.) People don't speak cleanly like in TV and movies. If you can find the right balance, then it highlights everything and makes it pop.

When I was a kid, my friends and I used to make cassette tapes of interviews and stuff. We were inspired by War of the Worlds, you know? But no matter how good people told me they were, something always felt horribly off about them. One day, I was watching a biography and somebody both stammered and struggled for a word. It made just a one-minute clip really stand out for me, and that's when I understood exactly how much that meant towards giving something gravity.

Think about how many films have something that might be considered a flaw in other movies, but in that one it somehow makes the movie better. That's what these bring to the forefront -- the carefully scripted flaws that make it stand out and truly seem amazing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread