What does it mean to be "Locked out of time" (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 22:11 (3320 days ago) @ Durandal

Personally, I like the idea of a single timeline limited by the Novikov self-consistency conjecture. That is, you can't go back in time and do something that would prevent your future self from going back in time. The series of actions needed to create a paradox are in fact impossible. I think the Gargoyles series used this, to hilarious effect in one episode where they go back to WW2 to rescue somebody from the past.

If that were the case, then the Vault becomes ever so more threatening. It is a machine that seems to allow the Vex to violate the conjecture via Atheon's will, which makes it all the more confusing why they haven't already assimilated the entire solar system.

My space-magicy head-cannon has been leaning towards the possibility that the traveler is actually contending with the Vex on the same level as Atheon's will, continuously generating universes where the Vex have failed to assimilate the present. I also like to pretend the Vex didn't exist on Venus until we freed Rasputin, and that the events that occur throughout the game are actually a rewritten present that didn't exist prior to the array activating.

The exo stranger was originally only watching me because she thought I was hot.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread