Cody's mega awesome Destiny patch (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:21 (3331 days ago)

-Improved Auto Rifle damage in PvE
-Slightly improved auto rifle damage in PvP
-Reduced the range and increased the spread of Auto Rifles

-You will no longer get ascendant materials from Legendary Engrams. If you want the materials, just dismantle the item.
-Ascendant materials can now be additional rewards on Nightfall activities, and will not replace your legendary or exotic drop. Frequency of this reward has increased, and amount of materials per reward has decreased.

-Tweaked the way darkness zones in Raids work. No longer will you be unable to revive someone if you aren't in battle.

-Exotic drops are now weighted, prioritizing exotics you do not already have.
-Xur can sell Weapon engrams.
-Xur can sell Playstation Exclusives.
-Before exiting a raid activity to orbit, you may give your drop so another member of the fireteam. The item locks to you on return to orbit or someone leaving or joining the game.

-Faction packages have a much higher chance for a faction item.
-Faction packages will no longer award faction class items.

-First Light and Bastion added back into the control rotation.
-Doubled mark and reputation rewards for crucible.
-Undying Mind and Dust Palace have been rolled into the Nightfall rotation for Playstation owners.
-All enemies now give glimmer on the Undying mind.
-Added about 10 more possible modifiers for Nightfall, including no supers, no health regen, alternate enemy races, and no heavies.

-Necrochasm magazine size has been increased to 70, and damage has been slightly improved. Cursed thrall explosions trigger immediately.
-Hard light rounds can now ricochet off three surfaces before dissipating.
-Cloak on Patience and time activates immediately on scoping, and has unlimited duration.
-Fixed a bug introduced in the last patch where Don't Touch Me's invisibility was not affected by ShadowJack.
-Pocket Infinity has returned to its launch behavior in PvE only.
-Shot package perk removed from shotguns.
-Shotgun range has been reduced on a per shotgun basis in PvP
-Heavy and special ammo are now back to the way they were at launch.
-Revive icons are now back the way they were at launch.
-Bounty sounds are now back the way they were at launch.
-You can place any item into any slot in your vault. Added a sort command.

-After House of Wolves, development and support of last gen versions of Destiny will stop.

Sounds good.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:30 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

There are those who said this day would never come

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:33 (3331 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

What are they to say now?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:36 (3331 days ago) @ ZackDark

But seriously, 99.9% of this list sounds great. Unlimited invis on P&T might be OP for cheesing.

What are they to say now?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:28 (3331 days ago) @ CyberKN

But seriously, 99.9% of this list sounds great. Unlimited invis on P&T might be OP for cheesing.

Well, we could compromise then. Just make it so the cloak activate immediately on scoping, but only last 6 seconds like now. The biggest problem is you never have a chance to be cloaked, since you cloak after being scoped in for about a second.

What *have* they to say now?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 02:47 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

There was actually a pretty memorable thread over at HBO back when the Halo 2 trailer first released, regarding what the mysterious voice actually said...

Ultimate consensus was "What have they to say now?"
Good times. *lone tear*

I thought so too, until I went and checked before posting.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 02:57 (3330 days ago) @ Korny

I thought so too, until I went and checked before posting.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 11:37 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

Sounds more like "are" to me.

Sounds like "what have they to say now" to me...

Another vote for "are" here

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:20 (3330 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Have

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:30 (3330 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Although the first time I thought I heard "are".

"Have" +1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 15:03 (3330 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

LOL - thought that as soon as I saw Raga's reply!

by yakaman, Monday, April 20, 2015, 16:08 (3331 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Don't worry, things go back to normal down below

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, April 20, 2015, 16:11 (3331 days ago) @ yakaman

Dogs and cats stopped living together, and it was all my fault.

Cody's mega awesome Destiny patch

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:14 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Good with almost all of this, except:

-Xur can sell Playstation Exclusives.

Nope. This means that either PS users get 2 options in a given week, for a particular item... or PS users get a DIFFERENT option than Xbox users (meaning they're screwed if they need what the Xboxers got)... or that Xbox users get 0. None of these is reasonable. (The second option is the most reasonable - but really, it's not reasonable enough.)

Not sure I understand how these two work together - they seem to be mutually exclusive?

-Cloak on Patience and time activates immediately on scoping, and has unlimited duration.

Yuck.

-Heavy and special ammo are now back to the way they were at launch.

I don't remember how they were at launch. ;)

-Revive icons are now back the way they were at launch.

Ditto.

-Bounty sounds are now back the way they were at launch.

Ditto.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:25 (3331 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Not sure I understand how these two work together - they seem to be mutually exclusive?

Faction item = a weapon or armor piece. Class item is the class item.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:09 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You mean like hoods, or butt towels?

If you don't get 'em from engrams... where would they come from? (Factions only sell 2. There are dozens.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:18 (3331 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You mean like hoods, or butt towels?

If you don't get 'em from engrams... where would they come from? (Factions only sell 2. There are dozens.)

I'm only talking about the faction class items. Yes, there are two per faction. And yes they are buyable. They are the only way to level up faction rep, so if you do that, you already HAVE said class item, and don't need to have it awarded to you again.

Other class items would remain unchanged. Only talking about the faction ones.

Um...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:22 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Faction Class Items (ex: FWC Cloak, Dead Orbit Mark, etc.) are now replaced by Faction Emblems in the rank-up reward packages from Faction Vendors

https://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Update---12012014/en/News/News?aid=12433

Oh! Scratch that then!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:27 (3331 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Um...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:18 (3331 days ago) @ CyberKN

I still don't like this. I can buy the emblems just as easily as I could buy the class items. I want a chance at weapons, armor, shaders & ships.

Here, have a single Ascendant shard! >_<

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:57 (3331 days ago) @ unoudid

And that's why I don't rep factions.

Insert Destiny Rage Here

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 20, 2015, 16:16 (3331 days ago) @ CyberKN

That's the worst thing ever when you should be excited about a reward they give you for repping a faction.

Cody's really terrible Destiny patch

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 20:01 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-After House of Wolves, development and support of last gen versions of Destiny will stop.

I get it. You don't like that the game has to cater to other people, because you have a next gen console, and want to have all the new toys focusing exclusively on developing for two next gen platforms could provide.

And I know the Destiny franchise is going to move to next gen, inevitably. But.

Well, I don't really like swearing like I'm about to, but this is egregious:

Just wait for Destiny 2, asshole.

b-but muh supirior next gen

by Raflection, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 20:24 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Agreed, no need to stop developing pregen. Think of all that lost revenue

Totally uncalled for.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 20:45 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Listen, I'm not saying I agree with dropping previous-gen support mid title, but maybe you should consider all sides before you launch into personal attacks.

I get it: not everyone is able to jump on board with the new consoles yet. If I were on the 360 or PS3 and Bungie announced that they'd stop supporting my platform after HoW, I'd be pissed.

But consider the opposite side: For those of us who have forked over the hundreds of dollars for a new console, it is becoming more and more clear that Destiny is not the game it could be because of the need to support old consoles (the vault space situation is just the latest reminder of that). The "next gen" experience we paid for is really just a last-gen game with prettier visuals. That ALSO kinda sucks, and isn't exactly fair to us early adopters.

Totally uncalled for.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 20:47 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have to disagree for one simple reason: we knew that when we bought it. No one ever promised us that we would get a better experience aside from graphics, in fact they flat out said that the 360 and PS3 would be the same experience. To cut out support for 360 and PS3 before Destiny 2 came out would not support this idea.

Totally uncalled for.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 20:57 (3331 days ago) @ Xenos

I have to disagree for one simple reason: we knew that when we bought it. No one ever promised us that we would get a better experience aside form graphics, in fact they flat out said that the 360 and PS3 would be the same experience. To cut out support for 360 and PS3 before Destiny 2 came out would not support this idea.

You're right, except the "experience" we were originally lead to expect was something quite different. The Destiny we were given shows a lot of compromises, and it's very clear that the limitations of last gen consoles lead to many of those compromises.

And that's fine. It's totally reasonable and at a certain point, it's expected.

All I'm saying is that for those who are playing on next gen machines, the desire for Bungie to ditch last-gen support ASAP is natural, if a bit over zealous.

Totally uncalled for.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:01 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I called him an asshole because he said he'd cut support for last gen.

If it was just that he'd cut development, if given the choice, I wouldn't have made an attack.

But really, cutting support? That is so needlessly petty, so self-centered, so annoying that he values his entertainment more than mine enough that he would gladly deprive what has to be at least a fourth of the playerbase of bug fixes just so that he could get whatever meager bonuses that adds over just cutting further development... That's annoying.

It's impatient, poor business sense, and unfair, and I thought it was deserving of a light curse for those reasons.

I get that people want more out of Destiny than they got, and that's fair, but the thought that they would actually go and deprive other people of stuff to that end... That just means that they aren't willing to share. And I should not have to call out an adult for not wanting to share.

Totally uncalled for.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:18 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:24

But really, cutting support? That is so needlessly petty, so self-centered, so annoying that he values his entertainment more than mine enough that he would gladly deprive what has to be at least a fourth of the playerbase of bug fixes just so that he could get whatever meager bonuses that adds over just cutting further development... That's annoying.

It is about 13%. More people have done the raid than play on last gen, yet it apparently it is not worth catering to raiders, as evidenced by a lack of raid with HoW.

You would lose nothing: just transfer your character to xbox one. Everybody else would gain much more. The writing is on the wall: you already lost the compare ability in the vault so we could have more space. Upgrade or be left behind.

Totally uncalled for.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:41 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is about 13%. More people have done the raid than play on last gen, yet it apparently it is not worth catering to raiders, as evidenced by a lack of raid with HoW.

[Citation Needed]

You would lose nothing: just transfer your character to xbox one. Everybody else would gain much more. The writing is on the wall: you already lost the compare ability in the vault so we could have more space. Upgrade or be left behind.

Nothing except for money. But hey! No big deal! I'm sure anyone who hasn't yet upgraded will... uh... think of something.

Totally uncalled for.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:52 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You would lose nothing: just transfer your character to xbox one.

So a few hundred bucks is nothing, now?

Or did the Xbox One and its edition of Destiny (w/ Season Pass, unless that transfers based on account?) have a huge price drop to negligible?

Because otherwise, I think you need to reground yourself with reality. Because you're making statements that show either you don't understand how it works, or that not even you agree with, just to advance your rhetorical position instead of admit you're wrong. "And I don't see how that's anything but sad."

I'd lose all the patches yet to come, not to mention the opportunity for any future DLC, or a bunch of money. That isn't nothing. Don't say it's nothing. Please don't tell me you actually believe it's nothing.

You'd gain Bungie having less limits to development, which they could take better advantage of by just implementing them in a whole new game, so that they could have new environments, and mechanics, and all that. Which is, as I understand it, the actual plan.

Bungie could quite possibly lose more profit off of making no new last-gen sales than they would gain off of not having to develop for it, and the possible increase in next-gen sales due to higher quality.

So, can I kindly ask you to either think things through, or stop spouting things even you don't agree with? Because I thought those were both reasonable expectations for most discussion. When you start complying with those conventions, I'll stop lacing my speech with passive-aggressive barbs at you, which is the main social nicety I'm breaking right now.

How's that sound?

Totally uncalled for.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:57 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

When you start complying with those conventions, I'll stop lacing my speech with passive-aggressive barbs at you

I don't really care what you call me on the internet. Not the worst I've heard.

Totally uncalled for.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:03 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And you shouldn't care what I call you. I'm just some random asshole on the internet, for all you should care.

What you should care about is if I have a point.

So, I'd like to ask, do I have a point?

Or do you have some answer to the concerns I raised that doesn't involve admitting that you said something you knew was bullshit, admitting to a worldview significantly divorced from actual reality (which I am confident you don't have), or pretending I didn't have reasonable criticisms of your statements here?

Because if you don't, I think it might be time to examine your rhetoric, or at least admit that you're wrong in some fashion. Sincerely; this isn't a barb. Even if someone who brings up a fault is being an ass about it, it might be worth examining if the criticism is nevertheless valid.

And, for my part? I'm sorry I've been hostile. I'll tone it down, promise.

I think that destiny1 should continue last gen support, but

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, April 20, 2015, 02:08 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think its absolutely necessary for them to make Destiny 2 next gen only, because they cant make the game they want to make on 360 or ps3

We need Cody to clarify

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:19 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

When I read Cody's post, it never end occurred to me that he meant "remove the ability for people to play Destiny on 360 & PS3". That would be a harsh move to say the least.

I interpreted his post as "after HoW, Destiny on 360 & PS3 will remain as it is while the PS4 and Xbox One versions will continue to grow and be updated in ways that take full advantage of the hardware".

We need him to clarify, as those are obviously 2 very different suggestions :)

We need Cody to clarify

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:20 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

When I read Cody's post, it never end occurred to me that he meant "remove the ability for people to play Destiny on 360 & PS3". That would be a harsh move to say the least.

I interpreted his post as "after HoW, Destiny on 360 & PS3 will remain as it is while the PS4 and Xbox One versions will continue to grow and be updated in ways that take full advantage of the hardware".

We need him to clarify, as those are obviously 2 very different suggestions :)

The second option. If you want any content beyond HoW, you would need to upgrade to current gen. You could still play what you already have on last gen.

We need Cody to clarify

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:45 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Then why did you say the other thing? Now sure, I read over that sentence and agreed that it will be better if future Destiny titles are next-gen only, but I can see how what you said could easily be taken as different from what you meant. Words mean something, after all.

On a more technical note... I wonder if it's possible to keep the legacy systems running at one version and the next-gen systems running another given the possibility that all versions of Destiny talk to the exact same server side systems? It might not be trivial to have two separate software versions to support last-gen and next-gen...

We need Cody to clarify

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:55 (3331 days ago) @ Ragashingo

On a more technical note... I wonder if it's possible to keep the legacy systems running at one version and the next-gen systems running another given the possibility that all versions of Destiny talk to the exact same server side systems? It might not be trivial to have two separate software versions to support last-gen and next-gen...

Yeah, keeping things sync'd would be a colossal issue. One way of getting around it would be to make eighth-gen-only areas but have no eighth-gen-only gear, but there's really no approach that wouldn't be somewhat dodgy.

We need Cody to clarify

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, April 20, 2015, 01:43 (3331 days ago) @ uberfoop

Especially considering the fact that some people play on BOTH generations, and switch back and forth. How is that supposed to work?

We need Cody to clarify

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:36 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I didn't think he meant shut down the servers, but if one defines "development" and "support" as different things, support has to include the free patches and bug fixes, no?

Cutting those entirely is what riled me.

It is quite petty regardless

by Durandal, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:00 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

The 360/PS3 systems have different teams working on them then the XB1/PS4. Bungie has tried to provide patches for the same issues at the same time to support those players and ensure they feel included and not as much 2nd class citizens.

To cut those teams in order to divert development to your own platform in the belief it will give you more content or somehow stop holding back on your platform of choice is petty.

Look at how much grief XB1 owners have for not getting gear and strikes. Now compound that for last gen by ceasing updates and new content. It is very petty to suggest that.

As for his other suggestions it is the usual laundry list from Cody. Some good, some bad, all to suit his own tastes. On the update side though, he is helpless. The lifecycle update plan for the expansions and support is already set. You can't simply wave a wand and move all those resources over, nor can you cancel those planned updates and support. Some people are specialized for those legacy platforms. In addition contracts for support, servers, and DLC are for set and can't be cancelled on a whim.

Even if Cody were teleported to Bungie tomorrow and made King he could not make that change. So stop harping on it.

It is quite petty regardless

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:05 (3331 days ago) @ Durandal

So stop harping on it.

Alright.

Only kinda sorta uncalled for.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:18 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But consider the opposite side: For those of us who have forked over the hundreds of dollars for a new console, it is becoming more and more clear that Destiny is not the game it could be because of the need to support old consoles (the vault space situation is just the latest reminder of that). The "next gen" experience we paid for is really just a last-gen game with prettier visuals. That ALSO kinda sucks, and isn't exactly fair to us early adopters.

As a guy who owns and plays on both sides, the early adopters knew this was the case before we bought in. There is no way Bungie would have opted for just two platforms when they could be on four, especially given that two of them (PS3/4) have not played a Bungie game in decades if they have not also owned Xboxes.

All in all, I think Bungie has done an absolutely bang-up job of supporting all those platforms and minimizing the friction between them. This past update, removing the vault item comparison feature, is the first real non-cosmetic limitation we've run into, and I think it's sort of impressive nothing else has cropped up before then.

Destiny 2 will be better and prettier and only on one console generation. If what you're saying is that Destiny on the current generation doesn't offer enough of an improvement over the last generation to justify it, then why were you an early adopter?

The things it is better at (display resolution, texture quality, etc) were pretty much known quantities. It stands to reason that some limitations would exist (size of loadable zones, etc).

You're basically asking Destiny owners who have not yet shelled out for a new console to pay the price of your impatience because Bungie should prioritize you over them because you bought a new console.

When MS owned Bungie, that might have made sense. Bungie got nothing from your next gen console purchase, just the game sale, which cost the same on both platforms (and if you preordered, like I did, you got them both for one price. I've actually got the same copy of Destiny running on three consoles and I can play two of them simultaneously.

$60 was $60, last gen or current gen. Why is Bungie supposed to treat one as being worth more than the other?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:31 (3331 days ago) @ narcogen

You're basically asking Destiny owners who have not yet shelled out for a new console to pay the price of your impatience because Bungie should prioritize you over them because you bought a new console.

Bungie should prioritize making the best game they can. That means ditching old hardware.

Is accessibility not part of quality, now?

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:47 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 13:01 (3331 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Technically, no. Accessibility has nothing to do with quality. Some rich weirdo could invent his own supercomputer, and create a game that runs on only it. The game by nature of running on such powerful hardware, could have the best graphics, sound, physics, etc ever. It could be 100 years ahead of any game coming out today. It would still be the best game ever made even if it cost you 50 million dollars to play it.

The finest wine is still the finest despite being 20,000 dollars a bottle and something most people will never have.

Bungie has to make money yes, and the two current generation consoles are more than capable of giving them a profit.

We're defining quality differently

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, April 20, 2015, 13:07 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You like to act as though quality is wholly objective.

I like to define it mostly in terms of subjectives.

I think we're both a bit in the extreme?

But if the point of a game is as some kind of enjoyment engine, all else being equal, the one that provides enjoyment to more people is better, no?

But that's just how I'm looking at it; I can respect this disagreement.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 20, 2015, 13:13 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie has to make money yes, and the two current generation consoles are more than capable of giving them a profit.

Now, yes. But remember, the decision to support the 360 and PS3 was probably made 4 years ago, perhaps even longer. Bungie would have had no way to know if the next gen consoles would have the necessary install base at that point in time. And since the decision was made to support the 360 and PS3 for this title, I think its only fair to continue supporting those platforms for Destiny 1. Destiny 2 is a whole different matter.

This is true

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:11 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 20, 2015, 16:55 (3330 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wonder if Bungie anticipated an ~70% to 30% sales split of next-gen to last-gen or if they now feel their investment in last gen was ultimately a mistake. So far I'm happy with Festiny on the 360 (you know, performance wise anyway) but if it had been next gen only I would have made getting an Xbone much more of a priority. I'd guess some to most (with most pushing things perhaps) of my fellow 360ers would agree.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 20, 2015, 06:17 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie should prioritize making the best game they can. That means ditching old hardware.

If this really was the only consideration for any product, game or otherwise, they would never be released as we've previously discussed. Also if somehow it did get released it would cost a lot more than $60. When running a business compromises are always necessary, most people and companies aim to make the best product they can, but what they usually end up making (because we live in the real world) is the best product they can make under certain restrictions so that they can make a good profit from said product. It's the reality of not only game design, but of every business in the world.

by DocOctavius, Orlando Florida, Monday, April 20, 2015, 11:36 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And throwing away millions in games sales from a console with much more market penetration. It's math son.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:55 (3331 days ago) @ DocOctavius

And throwing away millions in games sales from a console with much more market penetration. It's math son.

Again look at the sales: last gen makes up a very small chunk of Bungie's total for Destiny.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 20, 2015, 13:32 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:10

Again look at the sales: last gen makes up a very small chunk of Bungie's total for Destiny.

It's time to play Cody Miller's favorite game: Where The Heck Are You Getting Your Numbers?!

I've found just two main sources of Destiny sales figures that split it by console. The first is from GfK Chart-Track from around Destiny's launch. It shows a split of 46% PS4, 34% XBone, 14% 360, 4% PS3. Very notably these are first week figures for the UK only that do not include digital downloads. The second figures come from VGChartz and show a sales split of 4.67M PS4, 2.56M XBone, 1.59M 360, 1.35 PS3. Persumably, these figures are up to date and include all sales.

So, either way you cut it, last-gen Destiny has anywhere from 18% to 28% market share. Obviously, the trend was to buy Destiny on next-gen, but ~20% to 30% of sales isn't exactly "a very small chunk" either...

But perhaps you have data that shows all that to be wrong?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:15 (3331 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've found just two main sources of Destiny sales figures that split it by console. The first is from GfK Chart-Track from around Destiny's launch. It shows a split of 46% PS4, 34% XBone, 14% 360, 4% PS3. Very notably these are first week figures for the UK only that do not include digital downloads. The second figures come from VGChartz and show a sales split of 4.67M PS4, 2.56M XBone, 1.59M 360, 1.35 PS3. Persumably, these figures are up to date and include all sales.

No, those were similar to my figures. Let's say 18%. Not a huge number, but not entirely inconsequential. I wonder how many would have gone out and gotten a new system to play Destiny had it been Next Gen only?

Cruel Legacy is also right: Destiny was being developed since at least 2009, well before the current generation of consoles was announced. That is probably the biggest reason right there that Destiny is cross generation.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:13 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Only for a limited definition of "best".

You trot this kind of absolutist nonsense out way too damn often to be taken seriously.

The "best game they could make" would run only on the best possible console, which no one could afford to own. Going down this road eventually leads to questions like whether or not God can microwave a burrito so hot even he cannot eat it.

Bungie can, should, and to some measurable extent has, make the best game that is practically possible to be consumed by an optimal population, preferably one that generates enough revenue to justify continued support and development.

If it made sense to drop such support, they would do it. When it makes sense to drop such support, they will drop it. It should be obvious why such support was not dropped at the start of development, and having made that call then, it should be obvious why it is not so easily dropped now, especially considering that the next gen versions will not magically overcome the limitations of the game's design merely because Bungie stops developing or supporting the last gen versions.

What your screed completely fails to justify is why a theoretical threat to ragequit from the next gen owners like you and me is any more worthwhile or credible than the theoretical ragequit threat from last gen owners.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:57 (3331 days ago) @ narcogen

The "best game they could make" would run only on the best possible console, which no one could afford to own. Going down this road eventually leads to questions like whether or not God can microwave a burrito so hot even he cannot eat it.

I don't follow. The best console currently available is the PS4 and the Xbox One. That would mean making your game for those consoles. Tons of people can afford these consoles.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 20, 2015, 23:01 (3330 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't follow. The best console currently available is the PS4 and the Xbox One. That would mean making your game for those consoles. Tons of people can afford these consoles.

Don't do anything halfway, man. In order to make the best possible game, they'd obviously have to make their own console. No compromises, dammit!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 00:00 (3330 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by ZackDark, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 00:10

Not only that, but the best possible console at that. 4-way SLI Titans and 50MB of L3 cache multi-core processors and hundreds of GB of RAM and shit. At least.

You see where this gets pretty damn financially unreasonable, don't you, Cody? As much as making the world's best game might sound, having a definite goal and limits is what makes it possible for developer companies to even exist.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:49 (3331 days ago) @ narcogen

THIS:

. . .
Bungie can, should, and to some measurable extent has, make the best game that is practically possible to be consumed by an optimal population, preferably one that generates enough revenue to justify continued support and development.

If it made sense to drop such support, they would do it. When it makes sense to drop such support, they will drop it. It should be obvious why such support was not dropped at the start of development, and having made that call then, it should be obvious why it is not so easily dropped now. . .

Narc does werdz good

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 20, 2015, 17:22 (3330 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 20, 2015, 13:02 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If that were true, Destiny would be a PC exclusive ;)

Bungie needs to focus on making the best game they can sell. Given the install base of the 360 and PS3, it makes perfect sense for Destiny 1 to be cross-gen. But by the time Destiny 2 rolls around, next gen install base should be large enough to make next-gen only a viable business decision (which will also mean good things for the game itself).

by Avateur @, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 03:30 (3330 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They've made a boatload of money and sold a ton of copies currently, sure. The problem is, Destiny largely disappointed, was not very well reviewed, and the population has had quite the drop. This House of Wolves news won't help it. So the question becomes, what happens when Destiny 2 comes out and they try to earn trust back and turn that into sales? I think people are going to be far more cautious in general as well as potentially disinterested in the sequel based on the way Destiny itself has played out.

Dropping support or development of the last gen isn't going to happen. It's on Cody's wish list because, frankly, putting all resources into the current generation of consoles would probably be Bungie's best bet. Could you imagine if Destiny 2 got the fast track somehow, launched next year, and was everything Destiny 1 should have been and more? Talk about a turn around! Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Frankly, I'll be shocked if this Comet thing lives up to any hype or drastically improves Destiny.

Edit: And this is all coming from someone who actually still enjoys and has fun with Destiny, problems and all!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:58 (3331 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that its a natural reaction for new console owners to get a little frustrated over their game being "held back" because of old hardware. As I said in another post, we knew the game would be a cross-gen title, but we also thought the game would be very different than it is. Bungie specifically showed us things/said things that later had to be taken out, at least in part because the old consoles couldn't handle it.

However, Bungie made the decision to ship Destiny across last gen and next gen consoles, so I think the right thing for them to do is continue supporting all platforms (for Destiny 1).

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:04 (3331 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that its a natural reaction for new console owners to get a little frustrated over their game being "held back" because of old hardware. As I said in another post, we knew the game would be a cross-gen title, but we also thought the game would be very different than it is. Bungie specifically showed us things/said things that later had to be taken out, at least in part because the old consoles couldn't handle it.

Such as?

This one's a sore point with me because it feeds directly into the "Bungie lied" nonsense. We know that levels were made the size they were to accommodate the last-gen consoles. That player and AI count per area were kept where they are in order to support last-gen. But what do we know that was removed thanks to last-gen? New content (levels, multiplayer maps, etc) would seem to be a production issue not an engine / next-gen vs last-gen issue since we're getting new maps and levels with each major update. We know there are some levels and perhaps even worlds that didn't make it into the final game (there was once going to be a derelict spaceship we were going to board and fight on according to Jason Jones, and, of course, Saturn, which was mentioned as a destination just once two years before Destiny shipped) but there's no indication those were cut because of technical limitations vs story or production reasons.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:19 (3331 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Such as?

This one's a sore point with me because it feeds directly into the "Bungie lied" nonsense. We know that levels were made the size they were to accommodate the last-gen consoles. That player and AI count per area were kept where they are in order to support last-gen.

First of all, I personally do not fall into the "bungie lied to us" camp. Didn't mean to come across that way. I know full well that stuff changes during development all the time. We want developers to be more open about the stuff they're working on, then we get pissed off when stuff changes. Devs just can't win :)

But I do think that it is fair, in the case of Destiny, to say that the game that shipped is very different from what we were lead to expect. I don't say that with any hostility or negativity. It's just different.

As far as specific examples, you pretty much listed the all things that jump to the top of my brain. We were lead to believe that the open-world play spaces would be much larger and more densely populated than they are. The more recent discussions about Vault size being limited to keep things working on last gen consoles is another example.

The thing is, when players start asking "why did this get changed?" or "why can't we have more X?" and the same answer keeps coming back: "because last-gen machines couldn't handle it", it's easy for our imaginations to run a little rampant. What else had to be watered down or nerfed just to get Destiny to run on the 360 and PS3?. And that's not a fair train of thought to go down, but it's easy to slip in to.

lol

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 20:16 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sometimes... you guys... I don't even know...

On the topic of Next Gen

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:16 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've never really thought about it, but I wonder how long they do plan on supporting the past gen consoles. We've heard that Destiny is a ten year game plan with Activision. They can't realistically support 360/PS3 for that long. Heck, they'll be pushing the limits of the new consoles we have now at that point.

Surely they must have an exit strategy in mind for the old gens. The question is when.

I don't think its assholish to suggest moving away from old consoles. I think we can assume it will eventually happen. I also don't think it means they would just intend to leave those folks behind. On the contrary. Think of all the folks that have been able to experience Destiny now who maybe couldn't have because they couldn't afford a next gen console. By keeping old gen in the loop, it makes the player pool bigger now, and probably for the future as well.

On the topic of Next Gen

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:35 (3331 days ago) @ red robber

I've never really thought about it, but I wonder how long they do plan on supporting the past gen consoles. We've heard that Destiny is a ten year game plan with Activision. They can't realistically support 360/PS3 for that long. Heck, they'll be pushing the limits of the new consoles we have now at that point.

Surely they must have an exit strategy in mind for the old gens. The question is when.

I don't think its assholish to suggest moving away from old consoles. I think we can assume it will eventually happen. I also don't think it means they would just intend to leave those folks behind. On the contrary. Think of all the folks that have been able to experience Destiny now who maybe couldn't have because they couldn't afford a next gen console. By keeping old gen in the loop, it makes the player pool bigger now, and probably for the future as well.

I agree with you to an extent, but I think this is the only title on last gen. One launch title to draw in new players and push prospective buyers to get a next-gen console at maximum price; subsequent titles exclusively at next-gen to encourage hesitant buyers to purchase a next-gen at a slight mark down. These decisions are absolutely based (almost exclusively) on what the market dictates.

On the topic of Next Gen

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:52 (3331 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Right. I don't imagine "Destiny 2: Manifest" will support last-gen. I do imagine that any Guardian you currently have will carry forward, however. That'll be neat. Sorta Mass Effect-ish...

On the topic of Next Gen

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 23:47 (3331 days ago) @ red robber

I've never really thought about it, but I wonder how long they do plan on supporting the past gen consoles.

I think a reasonable guess would be right up until Destiny 2.

you forgot

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, April 20, 2015, 01:33 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- All AI improved. No more snoozing while gatekeepers run off cliffs.

The programmer in me did a double-take re: triple ricochet

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, April 20, 2015, 01:58 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, April 20, 2015, 15:02 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-Before exiting a raid activity to orbit, you may give your drop so another member of the fireteam. The item locks to you on return to orbit or someone leaving or joining the game.

Having the item lock to you upon someone leaving or joining the game sounds kinda crappy. What if a LFGer in our group drops right away when I want to give you my 42nd Hawkmoon drop? It should only be possible to give/exchange drops with those who were present when the drop happened, up until you & the recipient start another activity. (Isn't it the case that nightfall rewards don't show up in your inventory until you actually hit orbit?).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 18:29 (3330 days ago) @ dogcow

Having the item lock to you upon someone leaving or joining the game sounds kinda crappy. What if a LFGer in our group drops right away when I want to give you my 42nd Hawkmoon drop? It should only be possible to give/exchange drops with those who were present when the drop happened, up until you & the recipient start another activity. (Isn't it the case that nightfall rewards don't show up in your inventory until you actually hit orbit?).

Actually that's perfect. Make trading only available on the rewards screen, but actually have it come up quickly after a raid.

Hey, here's a question

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:30 (3330 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you'd improve the Necrochasm's base damage and put its magazine size to 70, would you also raise the base damage of all Sahara-type guns? Because it is of a higher Impact than them already (and obviously of equal Firing Rate), so as I understand it the limited magazine size is the main balance to the gun.

Unless it's less stable or accurate than everything else in class (which I'm pretty sure it isn't), buffing its magazine size to normal levels would be a bit unbalancing, relative the archetype, which would imply that the buff should apply to the whole family?

Although I'm like, the only person who uses that archetype as their go to (though I also am having fun messing around with Bad Juju and The Last Word, now and then, not as much in PvP). I think the archetype was balanced just fine, if a little underpowered, pre-patch; there's some rejiggering needed now, though.

I support this patch, but...

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 16:29 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd like to add:

- No Land Beyond no longer generates a red "scope" indicator when aiming down sights.
- Hand cannon accuracy at longer ranges increased. Hand cannon damage dropoff at medium and long range is much steeper.
- Heavy ammo in PvP despawns after 30 seconds on the ground. It's otherwise the same as it was at launch.
- Keyhole perk allows golden gun to penetrate titan shields.
- Red Death's perk now regenerates only health, not shields.
- Pulse Rifles with increased stability are now capable of three headshots at medium range due to the reduced kick per shot within a single burst.
- PvP maps will not repeat as long as you remain in the same lobby.
- Spawn points in PvP are no longer fixed. Rather, you will always spawn at a fixed distance from the central spawn point, with preference being given to spawning near your teammates.
- On spawn, players in PvP are immune to damage for 4 seconds.
- It is easier to connect with Titan Melee attacks if the enemy is within range.
- The gunsmith will now allow you to change the scope options for your weapons at a cost of motes of light for blue weapons and ascendant energy for legendary weapons.
- Faction vendors can now change the default (no shader) color of all armor to match their faction colors at a cost of ascendant shards.
- Added numerous new mission types to patrol including "survive an invasion," "rescue a guardian," "clear out an enemy position," "Capture an enemy vehicle," "Call in an orbital strike," "Revive fallen ghosts," and many others.
- You may now choose which area to spawn into when entering Patrol mode.
- Most enemies now have weak points on their backs, making flanking a superior tactic in PvE combat.
- All grenades are more lethal in both PvE and PvP. This includes PvE enemy grenades, which are dramatically more lethal. Like, to the point of actually being lethal.
- PvE enemy snipers now generate a red "scope" indicator when aiming at you.
- Iron Banner has been totally reworked. Player level no longer has any affect on Iron Banner. Iron Banner armor now has no light level at all, but has the "Iron Lord" perk. The "Iron Lord" perk grants the player 10 more health in PvP and sets their character level to the current maximum during PvP. The health bonus stacks.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 16:35 (3329 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- Iron Banner has been totally reworked. Player level no longer has any affect on Iron Banner. Iron Banner armor now has no light level at all, but has the "Iron Lord" perk. The "Iron Lord" perk grants the player 10 more health in PvP and sets their character level to the current maximum during PvP. The health bonus stacks.

That sounds... really terrible.

The PvP armor shouldn't be useless in PvE, and it shouldn't be so unbalancing in regular Crucible.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 17:02 (3329 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- All grenades are more lethal in both PvE and PvP. This includes PvE enemy grenades, which are dramatically more lethal. Like, to the point of actually being lethal.

HAHAHAH, sorry I couldn't help the last part of this. I don't know about PvP, but PvE Enemy grenades are useless. I don't even bother with moving when they are thrown at me. Only when it's nightfall and the element is the current grenade is thrown at me do I consider moving.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread