Only kinda sorta uncalled for. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:18 (3325 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But consider the opposite side: For those of us who have forked over the hundreds of dollars for a new console, it is becoming more and more clear that Destiny is not the game it could be because of the need to support old consoles (the vault space situation is just the latest reminder of that). The "next gen" experience we paid for is really just a last-gen game with prettier visuals. That ALSO kinda sucks, and isn't exactly fair to us early adopters.

As a guy who owns and plays on both sides, the early adopters knew this was the case before we bought in. There is no way Bungie would have opted for just two platforms when they could be on four, especially given that two of them (PS3/4) have not played a Bungie game in decades if they have not also owned Xboxes.

All in all, I think Bungie has done an absolutely bang-up job of supporting all those platforms and minimizing the friction between them. This past update, removing the vault item comparison feature, is the first real non-cosmetic limitation we've run into, and I think it's sort of impressive nothing else has cropped up before then.

Destiny 2 will be better and prettier and only on one console generation. If what you're saying is that Destiny on the current generation doesn't offer enough of an improvement over the last generation to justify it, then why were you an early adopter?

The things it is better at (display resolution, texture quality, etc) were pretty much known quantities. It stands to reason that some limitations would exist (size of loadable zones, etc).

You're basically asking Destiny owners who have not yet shelled out for a new console to pay the price of your impatience because Bungie should prioritize you over them because you bought a new console.

When MS owned Bungie, that might have made sense. Bungie got nothing from your next gen console purchase, just the game sale, which cost the same on both platforms (and if you preordered, like I did, you got them both for one price. I've actually got the same copy of Destiny running on three consoles and I can play two of them simultaneously.

$60 was $60, last gen or current gen. Why is Bungie supposed to treat one as being worth more than the other?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread