Sword Art Online (Off-Topic)

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:15 (3295 days ago)

*MINOR SPOILERS BELOW*

So, despite my personal insistence that I don't really care for Anime that much, I find myself watching yet another Japanese cartoon. This one is titled Sword Art Online and I found it on Netflix. The premise is the launch of a fully immersive fantasy-style MMORPG. Players don a neurally-connected headset that takes all mental input and translates them to in-game commands.

At time of launch it is revealed that the designer of the game had an ulterior motive in that he wanted to be a god of his own little universe. He secretly installed a kill-switch into the headsets and disabled the "Log Out" function in the menus. This trapped all the day-one players in the game with the stipulation that if someone could "beat" the game then they would be released.

To up the stakes, the kill-switch engages should the player fall below 0 HP. In other words, it's a MMORPG that effectively takes the place of your real life, and kills you if you are defeated by the world.

Now, my questions for you are:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread