Returning to Iron Banner after a Month Off... And I'm salty. (Destiny)

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, April 30, 2015, 15:10 (3273 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

...sigh. Salty post incoming...

Before you say my connection must stink, I get 50 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up (and I checked many times last night because of the reasons I'm about to enumerate).

Not discounting your frustrations here (I feel your pain) but just because you have a good connection, that doesn't mean the other players in the match have good connections. The problems you described sound exactly like the symptoms of playing against opponents who are suffering from packet loss, slow upload connections, or both.

Basically, if a player has a poor connection, it can make it difficult for him/her to update the host with accurate information about where exactly they are, and what exactly they're doing. So a player might rush at you and hit you with a shotgun, but their poor internet causes a gap where you don't actually see it happen because the host literally doesn't know these actions have happened yet. Then the connection kicks in again, and the host gets an update and realizes "oh, they've actually moved 3 feet and pulled the trigger twice" and adjusts.

This rarely happens in COD. I feel like Bungie is trying to be the smartest about something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread