One other networking point that needs to be brought up too (Destiny)

by Earendil, Thursday, April 30, 2015, 17:20 (3282 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, Cruel covers it pretty well in layman terms. Basically the systems they usually use will use data sent from your console, even if it's a little late. So if you're playing against someone with high latency, and their console swears that they shot you three times in the face with their hand cannon, but on your screen you shot him with your shotgun while he was standing in place, the game has to make a decision on what to do. This is where a lot of the complaints come from since the game will sometimes decide based on timestamps that he killed you and you didn't kill him. If it were a true system based on pure latency, the person with the lowest latency would always win those fights.

That's not an advantage based on a good connection though, that's not letting people take advantage of people with bad connections. It's weird, sure, but if their system records a kill prior to you recording one, regardless of when the server finds out about it, I really don't mind.

NOW. I have played crucible, so I do know that when lag is bad, shit gets really weird really fast. It can become intolerable to the point where the only sane course of action is to laugh and take another shot of whiskey.

Let me rephrase my original question: Do you believe there is netcode in place that adversely affects gameplay if all players in a game had a good connection? I understand that if you play against someone with a bad connection, that there are mechanisms that prevent a good connection from taking advantage of that, but that to me is not the same as having mechanisms that disadvantage a good connection.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread