Don't hold your breath. (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 01, 2015, 18:03 (3275 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Funkmon, Friday, May 01, 2015, 18:10

I've been following this for a while, and it may just be another thing like the Pioneer anomaly. There is a potential for new physics here, but the likelihood of this thing actually working, like, for real, is close to zero. I mean really close. So close as to be almost inconsequential.

The concepts of physics this defies are very important, and other pieces of physics we rely on and know work are based upon these principles. The "quantum vacuum" hypothesis, while slightly more plausible than others, really changes how we use the vacuum state, and if the propulsion were coming from virtual particles, we'd have to seriously rework 70 years of solid (good) physics on which many modern technologies are based.

It's also worth noting that "free energy" crackpots often use this exact thing to try to explain their stupid inventions. If anything, I'm just as skeptical hearing about these new developments.

Note: my physics is limited. My degree is in physics education, not a full research physics degree, so take that as you will.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread