Things warframe could learn from Destiny (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 06:52 (3275 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. Don't look like ass
2. Have great character animation
3. Have great game feel. Make things feel like they have weight
4. Make firing guns satisfying
5. Have great sound design

I feel like all of these are fair assessments of the state of Warframe right now, but they are also all things Warframe's development team is not only aware of, does not only plan on fixing, but is actively and incrementally updating with each patch (they come out monthly-ish). Your comment also completely ignores the *brilliant* game mechanics of the reward system, the melee system, the item upgrade and mod systems, the crafting systems, the in-game clans, factions, space combat, character progression, and all of the things that Warframe got right which Destiny, frankly, whiffed on.

The analogies I like are:

Destiny is like having a stripped-down Ferrari in a giant, totally empty parking lot that you can never escape from. It's beautiful to look at, handles like a dream, but doesn't have air conditioning and you can't drive it anywhere.
Warframe is like being able to drive anywhere on Earth, but you can only drive a Yugo. Any model of Yugo. But yeah, Yugos.

OR

Destiny is like a beautiful candy shell surrounding actual poop with a delicious chewy center. It's the actual poop part that bothers me. The rest is great!
Warframe is like a pack of Belly Flops (these are the rejected Jelly Belly jelly beans that you can only buy at their factory)... It has literally everything, but it's not that pretty to look at. Or hear, I guess. Since these are now talking jelly beans. Though, really, the voice acting in Warframe is a million times better than the voice acting in Peter Dinklebot. Which is sad, since Warframe employees are the ones who do all of the voices - they're none of them actors.

--

Anyway, in another year, Warframe will be greatly evolved from its current state (which is already super fun) and Destiny will probably have another raid maybe that you can run like 100 times to not get the loot you want from. Or maybe not. HoW makes it seem that maybe raids are done for Destiny. So it could just be that in another year Destiny's guns will have bigger numbers on them, but otherwise be the same guns you have today.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread