Time to Kill in PvP and new Weapons in Expansions (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:27 (3275 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Here's a sort of fundamental problem with PvP in Destiny: The way to make new weapons in the expansions desirable for PvP is to make them better. That means faster Time to Kill, longer range, and more stability with quicker target acquisition. Which is a problem, since guns already have crazy fast TTKs. Less than 2 seconds in most cases, instantaneous in the case of shotguns, sniper rifle headshots, fusion rifles, and rocket launchers.

I'm concerned. RIght now the game is nearly tantamount to a round of who saw who first, and I haven't had an exciting duel with someone in ages (unless you count multiple spawn-spanning sniper duels).

Heh - I had two counter-examples happen last night - both on Shores of Time (different matches).

The first, I was behind B's heavy, sniping into the tunnel, and a guy with Thorn caught me off-guard as he came out of the rotunda. I thought i was dead, but he decided that he could burn me to death - so rather than jump up onto my platform and fight it out directly, he did the rabbit thing, popping up, taking a shot, dropping back down. I managed to kill him after 3 pops before I died myself. ;)

The second was in the same area (just outside the rotunda) - I heard a golden gun pop from the sniping area above C, while I was on the other side of the giant pillar. I managed to keep the pillar between him and me (while avoiding shots from a third guy who wasn't very good) until the gun ran out. :)

Now, granted, in both cases a better player would have destroyed me - but I guess my point is, there are plenty of not-better players. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread