*OT* Rain, Rain, and More Rain (Off-Topic)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 15:10 (3262 days ago)

I live out in the country in central Texas, surrounded by flat farmland. Directly 1 mile behind my house is the Brazos River. This river has a massive watershed that runs from New Mexico, diagonally across Texas, to the Gulf of Mexico. Due to all the dams that are on it, the flow is generally pretty low. But we have gotten so much rain, that the reservoirs are at capacity, and are having to dump water. Anyways, thought i would share some pics and videos with y'all.

Here is the NOAA river gauge just up the road from my place, you can see that their prediction was a little off

[image]

[image]
There is a barbed wire fence here, and about 20 foot of johnsongrass and tangled vines. Since i couldn't see the ground, i stayed on the pasture side of the fence and held the camera over my head.

[image]

Using the Canon EOS Remote app, I was able to view through and trigger the camera with my other hand.

[image]

I walked downstream a bit where i could see the water better and strung out a tape measure.

[image]
Keep an eye on that big cottonwood on the other side in this video, we'll come back to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMTDxjfT1o

Further downstream is a ledge with a trail that you can drive down (when its dry), which leads to a pretty steep trail down to the river. I only walked halfway down the truck trail, b/c water was starting to trickle in about ankle deep.

This pic/video were taken at the water's level.

[image]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7XSZb2GD3o

Here is the spot that would have been at the end of the trail, had it not been under water. I took this pic back in February. I drew a red line along the approximate water height that I observed yesterday. You can see that tallest cottonwood from the first video on the right hand bank.

[image]

And Finally, here is a panoramic from the very first spot, taken while holding my tripod in the air. It's stitched together from ten vertical frames.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread