I'm primarily a story/lore guy.... (Destiny)

by yakaman, Friday, June 26, 2015, 11:15 (3248 days ago) @ petetheduck

Now all you have to do is hope that they don't legitimately go the microtransaction route.

I don't know. Destiny is just a huge time sink to be able to play it the way I want to play it (with sweet stuff, and using that sweet stuff on all the hardest content). More than it should be.

I might be out either way. Dunno yet. I'll see if Trials cheers me up this weekend.

With Destiny, it seems like we just consume. There aren't community projects like there were at HBO. Do we let the game dictate too much about what we get out of it?

Game nights at HBO were a thing. There were write-ups. It felt substantial. Here, we arrange our LFG, get our RNG, and the only related posts that tend to turn up on the forum are apologies for absences afterwards.

Our forum is basically an auxiliary comments section for articles posted on other sites. There's no story discussion happening here.

We have become a dead thing made by a dead power in the shape of the dead.

...and there's just so little in that department. From the 10,000 foot view, most discussion here revolves around loot. Not story or speculation or whatever. Loot. Loot?

My very highest hope is that with much of the meta worked out in D1, Bungie pushes the story aspect in D2. I wonder though, in a game-world-style such as Destiny will story ever take center stage? Or does story live best in the single-player universe?

Sometimes, in my darkest moments, I wonder if Halo's story was good, or if the brilliant HBO community made it so.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread