On Authenticity (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 23:32 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Every single Bungie game up to Destiny felt like everybody working on it was truly just trying to make something awesome. Some were better than others, but all felt completely honest.

What concerns me is you seem to be overlooking issue in past Bungie games then questioning the "authenticity " of Destiny.

Sure, Destiny didn't deliver some features we'd become accustomed to in Halo (theater mode, forge, custom games, etc), but Oni promised things it flat out did not deliver. Things like PvP multiplayer, levels with the giant Iron Deamon, maybe some other stuff... I'd have to look the past up. It feels like you are rating Destiny worse for not including things it never promised than Oni which did promise things then failed to deliver. Of the two options, which is less authentic?

On promotions, and grind, and RNG, and poor story, various Halos had some of even all of those, yet they were authentic and Destiny isn't? What about Mountain Dew double XP, or whatever pre-order condition you needed to meet to get Sgt Johnson in ODST Firefight, or the near infinite grind required to unlock the highest ranks and equipment pieces in Halo 3 and Reach. Halo 2 angered many with a cliffhanger ending. Reach even had the RNG bonus XP lotto, stopped awarding XP for general single player play after a while, and it's story, I'm sure you'll remember this, "was not canon." Looking back at how the Halos actually were, were they all authentic? Even Reach, which you spoke out against quite a bit?

Destiny has its faults for sure, perhaps more than some pervious Bungie games, but I think your trying to set it apart from every other Bungie game, especially in view of some of your past criticisms, is very disingenuous.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread