*OT* Looking to get a projector... (Off-Topic)

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 12:02 (3229 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Here's a comparison of the few models I'm currently looking at.

Can anyone help me out with some advice on this front? I've probably got 9-12 feet depending on whether I decide to use a standing screen or a mounted one.

First off, if you can shell out around $2k -$2.5k on the projector, you can get an amazing picture (black levels, contrast, etc) and have it also be great for gaming with small input lag. I think the Sony projectors fit this slot pretty well.

However, since it looks like that may not be an option, I can tell you that my brother has the benq w1070 and I'm pretty darn impressed with its picture and it has very minimal input lag. My epson 8700ub has a better picture but worse input lag and also cost about $750 more. It's enough lag to be noticeable while playing. So make sure and double check that for each. And based off what I've read and what I've seen with his benq, the price range you're looking in has some really solid projectors nowadays. Not so much in the recent past.

I'd also say that as long as projectorcentral gives a favorable review, you're probably good to go. Remember: Once you get it home and set it up, you won't be comparing it to other projectors. If you're happy with it at home, that's all that counts. The little niggling comparisons won't matter then.

As for a screen, I built what I consider a midrange screen for about $75. Easy peasy. White vinyl, poplar lumber, and black velveteen. Hung it on the wall similar to what bluerunner said.

- CC If you can't control light in your room, go for lumens.

PS - I have a 100" screen at about 12-13 ft. I think my projector has a zoom ratio of 1.5.

PPS - Horizontal and vertical lens shift make mounting a lot easier. Look for that too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread