I've used 2 GB on Verizon this month (Off-Topic)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 12:03 (3228 days ago) @ red robber

I checked my usage last fall, and destiny was using about 100mb/hr, where games like Halo and Borderlands were using ~ 40mb/hr. use party chat, and it will go up even more.

I live in a rural area, and use Verizon Homefusion. Its a 4gLTE antenna on my house, its got decent speeds (~8-15 mbps up & down), but they have a shit data cap of 30 GB per month. The only reason they offer the service is b/c it was a condition of the FCC contract to provide rural internet when they bought the LTE band. But my only other options here are satellite, or "rural wifi" that is lucky to pull 2mbps during peak hours.

My Verizon phone service is grandfathered into unlimited data, so i'll trade off using my phone or the home internet for gaming. The Homefusion antenna only picks up Band 13 (Verizon's original LTE band), but my phone can pick up Band 4 (XLTE), and will get 15-20 mbps up&down.

Even though my phone is unlimited, i've always been scared about pissing off verizon. My original contract says that i will get throttled if i fall into the top 5% of users. I have no idea what the threshold for that is. I had a friend that was using his AT&T phone as his home internet source, and got throttled after several consecutive months of 30+ GB.

Also, just to be safe, whenever there is a major game update, I'll take my Xbox to my brother in law's in town and update there. If my boss is out of town, i'll take it to work, spoof the MAC of my laptop, and update it on the office network ;).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread