*bows* [Also, quick review] (Destiny)

by Earendil, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:50 (3180 days ago) @ Beorn

FWIW, I just finished the 5th book and am starting on the 6th and last, second time reading them all. I'm certainly getting more out of it as a [censored due to extreme age] than I did when I read it at 14. My thoughts are as follows:

Book 1. An awesome story with small awesome ideas, but the big ideas aren't complete yet. Worth reading if you want a good story set in a universe that hasn't been duplicated. Yet is highly realistic.

Books 2 and 3. Should be one book, as it's the same story. Finishes a longer story arc started in book 1. It's a good story arc. Not many new small ideas, but some of the big ideas are now complete. At this point it becomes awesome sci-fi in that make you think philosophical sort of way.

Book 4. zomg what a slog. I get its place in the series, and it needs to be there, but it could have been 50 pages not 400.

Book 5. Back to being a great story in and of its self, without having to delve into philosophy and sociology in order to make it worth it. Yet, you start to realize that Herbert is playing with giant sociology ideas over thousands upon thousands of years. It gets interesting again in a big way, but also makes for a good story read.

Book 6. Just came in the mail today. I remember none of this book from when I was young. I'm not positive I made it through.

Overall, I think the stopping points are the following:

Given a persons commitment to sci-fi, and how much they enjoyed the ideas presented in books 1-3, I'd suggest they keep going. My wife for example I told to read book 1 so that she understood me better, but wouldn't recommend she personally read the rest. My brother on the other hand shall be tar and feathered if he doesn't finish the series with me :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread