Blue is right (Off-Topic)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, August 10, 2015, 23:23 (3202 days ago) @ Funkmon

Crawfish is/are a mix of Shrimp and Lobster, but it's really unique. It's all about the spices though. I boiled 160 lbs for my brother's housewarming party and it turned out perfect. The spice was just right, great flavor but not too hot. They peeled easy too. Two 80 qt pots going at a time took about 4 hours total.

[image]

Dem some good mudbugs der!

[image]

While you can get crawdads in several southern states, I'd agree Louisiana is king. I grew up in southwest Mississippi on the river. But even as far north as I was, it just wasn't/isn't the same. The craws are so much bigger and better down in the deep bayou areas, and the cooks know the best techniques. We never "shocked" crawfish back home. Shocking is the method of immediately cooling the pot after boiling. It keeps them from overcooking, and the sudden decrease in temp seems to draw in additional seasoning. I've also learned to throw in a stick of butter and lemons to help ease the peeling process.

I'd really like to Cajun boil a pot of lobsters! I had fresh lobster seaside in Gloucester, Mass and was kinda disappointed. Maybe we went to a bad place, but it was busy. Who knows. But if we could have cajunized it though, delicous I GAWRonTEE!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread