Trials Stats. (Destiny)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:30 (3210 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just a thought though... I think there might be something that the current stat breakdown doesn't capture. This came up briefly in conversation a couple week's ago, while looking specifically at Ottermack's stats. Based on the current rankings, his Support rating is quite a bit lower than I would have expected. It appears to be because he is revived more often than he revives his teammates (please correct me if I'm wrong). Cody pointed out a few weeks ago that the numbers here can be misleading, and I agree. As someone who plays with Ottermack on a regular basis, I think he is extremely good at positioning himself such that if he does go down, he is within revive-range of his teammates. In other words, he doesn't run off and die in a spot where we can't get to him and bring him back. That is something that I personally am not always so good at. So because I am more likely to die in impossible-to-reach places, Ottermack can't revive me as often as I revive him, which in turn harms his support rating.

I have no idea if this is possible to capture using statistics... what do you think?

I agree the support rating is a little tricky. We all know reviving is an important part of team play, but how does that equate to success statistically? I'm not really sure. One could argue that someone who has "better revival statistics" is better at supporting his team by keeping his teammates alive. I'd argue that higher revivals per game and a higher RD/G means that person is spending more time reviving his teammates that are dying more often, which also leads him to being out of the fight more often. It may also mean that he is not engaging the enemy enough and is simply out of the fight, leaving his teammates in 1 or 2v3 scenarios.

If we look at who ottermack has played with, say you and TheeChaos, you have the highest Avg Life and Chaos is above average. Otters numbers could simply be a result of playing with teammates that simply don't die, thus giving him less opportunity to revive them. He also is a power player, he may be able to handle more kills in a fight without the immediate need of an extra teammate.

I'm glad you asked though, because my formulas reflect my opinions only :) I chose the 5 following categories for the support index. Assists/G, Orbs/G, Revives/G, RD/G, and Avg Lifespan. I think these are the best a determining how helpful a teammate is but at the same time not including how "good" they are at killing things. Is there anything you would add/replace/remove? I thought about removing R/G and replacing it with Deaths/G or KD spread/G. Let me know, I truly welcome your thoughts and opinions and I'm glad you are enjoying the stats.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread