New GI Article: Destiny's Raid Philosophy/Scope of New Raid (Destiny)

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 17:07 (3136 days ago)
edited by Doooskey, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 17:15

Link to Article

The most interesting tidbit to me is this... "But player gear is still very significant in measuring each player's power. Do you still see raids as the gateway to gaining the best gear as it was in the past?
We believe the highest gear level is a little less important to the game now. We hope that players see their light level as a tool that allows them to climb the mountain they want to climb in the way that's most interesting to them. If they look at a raid and they see it's recommended light level is 280, then we want them to think, 'I want to get my light to 280, so I can climb this mountain in front of me.' In the same way, we want players to look at the PvP activities they want to do and say, 'I want to get there, so I can go into that activity and have a great time.' Post-launch, we've created a bunch of ways for players to chase progression, chase creativity, and look how they want to look. That's all stuff we want to carry forward. But the gear you have is just a tool to reaching those activities and not the end goal.

Very interesting... I wonder how this will impact the game overall. I do raid because it is fun, but I raid a lot more chasing gear - which is still fun, because the raids in and of them selves are well designed, particularly VoG. Does this mean that Raids won't drop the highest light gear? Or maybe that the highest light gear will be attainable via several avenues?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread