Yikes. (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:47 (3157 days ago) @ narcogen

That... makes it like any other strike.

Uh, except for the modifiers.

So there's no XP buff

Yes there is, you just don't have to do the nightfall to get it. That's a good thing. Much as I do enjoy nightfalls right now, what I don't enjoy is feeling like I have to do them in order to progress XP and rep and such at the rate I'm used to. The last couple of months, I've been too busy to play much, and when I do get on briefly I feel like the effort I'm putting into leveling my gear isn't getting me anywhere, because I wasn't able to be on at the right time to run nightfalls with people.

there's no Nightfall in it anymore, since that's what the kick to orbit meant

I will admit, that part seems odd. Although I guess newcomers will just see that's the name of the highest tier strike, and not think much of it.

and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Yes, but... did you think you'd just be able to jump in to an endgame activity as a 34? Also, consider this: getting to 40 now will only require leveling up via XP, as opposed to the previous method of getting to max level, which was playing RNG roulette until special armor dropped (etheric light softened that a bit, but you still had to obtain a specific item: the etheric light itself). I'd wager that getting to 40 in TTK is going to be more straightforward than getting to 34 in HoW, and definitely more so than in vanilla Destiny or TDB.

Also, the Weekly gave me a chance to look at modifiers and the specific strike so I could decide whether or not I wanted to do it this week. Now it's just another playlist (like the other strike playlists I stopped playing months ago) and since I won't know what I'm getting, I'm not sure what the point is. When they added matchmaking I stopped playing Weeklies without a full fireteam. Now I guess I won't be playing them at all, since there's actually no strike to play-- just another list.

I guess. It's hard for me to get too worked up about that because I stopped playing weekly heroic strikes months ago. The time when I needed strange coins or Vanguard marks has long since passed.

I think the curse of having mostly liked the game as it was when it came out means I'm going to be liking it less as they cave to everyone complaining about how obviously bad the game they keep playing is.

The only thing I'm really not liking is the old gear not moving forward. What was the point of that whole etheric light thing in HoW if old gear was eventually going to be left behind anyway?

Most of the changes in this update just seem to be recognizing that some of us don't like feeling like we have to complete certain activities regularly in order to keep up. There was a time when that didn't bother me as much, but lately I'm realizing that Destiny (in its current form) is not a game that I can just jump into for 30 minutes a week.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread