Oh My God, He's A Ghost. (Off-Topic)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 20:08 (3181 days ago) @ Morpheus

A few tips:

It can be hard to know for sure if you've improved performance from just picking random channels. Use an app like the one marmot mentioned to see what's near you. Personally, I use Wifi Analyzer for Android. Try moving around the house and checking each room. Usually the scene looks different depending on where you stand. You should be most concerned with how things look near the router itself, though.

In the US, with 2.4GHz networks, there are 11 channels. You'll want 3 channels of separation because there is some overlap between them. So for example, if there's a strong signal on channel 1 near you and you're trying to get away from that, don't use channel 2 or 3. Go at least 4 or higher. The app I linked will try to tell you which channels actually have the least traffic, which is especially useful in crowded urban areas. It's hard for the human brain to identify a clear channel when there's 30 networks visible.

We never used 5GHz at the old job so my knowledge of those channels is lacking. Same principles, though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread