Note that level does still matter... (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 15:55 (3156 days ago) @ slycrel

So why then am I already seeing level 41 things here and there? Not individual mobs, but I swear I saw a quest or something with a level 41. Maybe I dreamed it, I was, quite literally, up in the night from 4:15-5:30 AM playing.

Also, I have no idea what light level the centurion was -- He hit me with 2 rockets multiple times and nearly killed me, but he didn't quite get there. But that's good to know that's what I should be looking for.

It's probably safe to assume that a level 41 enemy probably has a higher light(darkness?) level than a level 40 enemy -- so it's not like there is a complete disconnect between what the character level is and his light level is... The point is just that the former way of calculating damage if you are under-levelled (where you did 25% less and took 25% more) is gone. Now it's just a calculation of your light level vs the enemy's light level, which according to Luke Smith results in smaller and more fair calculations. He specifically cautioned that we don't need to worry as much about there being level 41 enemies in the raid (as we did about everything in Crota being 33 while we were stuck at 32).

By the same token, it is worth noting that you can be a higher [character] level than an enemy, but still be at a damage-output disadvantage if your actual light level at that moment is lower than his.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread