So don't play a Defender . . . (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 21:33 (3120 days ago) @ Korny

I'm not complaining that I didn't do well. I knew I was going to do terrible. I'm trying to shed Light on how badly the Defender subclass fares and offer useful, reasonable suggestions on how it can be fixed.

It's funny how often people say that Defender is overpowered, because pretty much nothing outside of a Super can counter it, and Defender apologists are like "Good! They should only be weak against other Supers."
And now we have a playlist all about Supers, and they're like "our Defense-based class that is only weak against Supers is weak against Supers! It needs a buff!"

"..."

If I understand you, Defenders should be easily countered:

1. When they are using a Super and you aren't.
2. When you are using a Super while they aren't.
3. When both you and them are using a Super.

That's not true of any other Subclass. Why should Defenders be at such a disadvantage all the time?

The playlist definitely favors offense-based Supers (and ranged ones at that), so playing as the zero-range defense class is going to be a huge disadvantage. You want more buffs to the shield? How would that fare in regular playlists, where only four of the nine Subclasses can successfully beat a bubble Titan as it is now, and only when their Supers are full?

Few to none of my suggestions invovle making Ward of Dawn any more troublesome to normal combat than it already is. Making the bubble fully block a Super isn't going to ever effect someone shooting at it with a gun since they were never going to pop it anyway. Making it cancel active Supers when they pass inside isn't going to affect people who weren't using their Supers. Giving the Defender a grenade as easy to use as the Flamebolt or Arcbolt grenades isn't going to do anyting but bring the Defender up to par grenade effectiveness. Etc.

If all your complaint comes down to is Defenders are tought to beat when they are using their Super while you aren't... then you really have no valid complaint at all!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread