lol... (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:53 (3064 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So far I appear to be taking the "don't invest" approach. Halo was the game that got me into gaming. It was the game that showed me games could be challenging and fun and have stories and have multiplayer. It was magic when late into the night at a all night "Halofest" lan party I fired up the campaign during a lull and watched the opening Pillar of Autumn cutscene for the very first time. I bought an Xbox because of that cutscene and level. I bought every Halo game and book day one up through Halo 4 because of those few minutes deep into the predawn a.m. And I actively defended 343i pre-Halo 4 saying I trusted them to do good based on things like Halo Evolutions and Forward Unto Dawn.

Then Halo 4 happened.

The game was pretty but the Didact was a different character than the complex, conflicted military general I expected. And his motive, destroying Himanity to stop the already defeated Flood, made zero sense. Cortana's death kinda happened off screen... during a cutscene... right after 343i made me nuke the Chief (which for that short instant before I hit RB felt significant and gutsy)... and they decided Halsey should be seen as evil... and they went from Spartans being individuals who always did the right thing and had the best technology and armor that only they could use and could singlehandedly save the world to Spartans being random unruly former ODSTs with a new generation of armor that magically solved all the problems and in true Incredibles fashion made everyone special, thus making no one special.

As a result, I did not buy the last Forerunner book, did not buy any of the other newer books, and still have not bought Halo 5. And it's heartbreaking to not be playing a new Halo game. It feels wrong to be waiting for a price drop. And I don't know if my first and favorite video game franchise will ever appeal to me again. :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread