Totally agree. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 01:02 (3068 days ago) @ slycrel

I think this is actually a complaint about a different problem.

1- It's super hard to get your light level to 311 or greater, and it's a death-fest if you have a few people on that fight lower than that.
2- There is no room for mistakes. Technically you "only" need 4 people for oryx -- 3 on platforms and 1 runner... but that's really not true as without that extra 2 person's worth of DPSing, you'll get overwhelmed and die without really high light levels. (See also point 1)
3- On the oryx fight, if a bunch of badly placed eyes spawn for some reason, you are likely to see someone drop due to being suddenly overwhelmed rather than because they failed at any particular skill-check.

So people are pissed at revives -- because they'd rather revive and keep an attempt going than wipe and start over. Adding revives would fix the problems the raid has with the points above.

But I don't think that's the right fix, just a way for people to easily address the above 3 points. Because hard-mode oryx isn't much different than normal, just a couple extra knights and no revives, along with a gear check. Which is actually a lot of what people are also grumbly about -- it's about the same, but was billed as being more different.

I also think that this was somewhat intentional by bungie. They don't want people 1-2 manning the raids where possible, they want them to be 5-6 person efforts.

Without changing the fight more substantially, I'm not sure what could be done to quickly solve this particular set of issues.

I think you're bang-on. To this day, my favorite encounter in Destiny is the Bridge section of Crota's End. It provides clear roles for 6 players, but a skilled and coordinated team can bend the rules a bit. Each member of the fireteam gets their moment in the spotlight, where the pressure is on them to perform. But if someone drops the ball, there is still room for another player to pull off something awesome and save the day. And while it is possible for a team of fewer than 6 players to clear it, you really need to earn it (aside from the "jump the gap" cheese). Building and crossing the bridge as a team of 3 was an intense and thrilling experience :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread