Role playing in the RPG..

by spooky6, Tampa Fl, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 21:22 (3975 days ago)

When I was a WoW player I would come across true Role Players. For those that don't know, in WoW people will play their persona and they seemed to be having a blast. That said, would anyone enjoy the guilty pleasure of playing pretend from time to time? Could it be a better way to be immersed in the world or do you think you would be shunned by those who simply did not understand your life choice?

Both

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 15, 2013, 21:51 (3975 days ago) @ spooky6

Could it be a better way to be immersed in the world or do you think you would be shunned by those who simply did not understand your life choice?

I remember there used to be someone on HBO that role-played a Sangheili while on the forums. I thought it was awesome, but I can see how people would call him/her names.

Same thing within a game like Destiny. Especially within a game like Destiny, since a huge share of people will play it, meaning there will be all sorts of opinions flying around. I, for one, hope there will be people role-playing. I hope I do.

Healthy fun is something to admire

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 22:07 (3975 days ago) @ spooky6

When I was a WoW player I would come across true Role Players. For those that don't know, in WoW people will play their persona and they seemed to be having a blast. That said, would anyone enjoy the guilty pleasure of playing pretend from time to time? Could it be a better way to be immersed in the world or do you think you would be shunned by those who simply did not understand your life choice?

The best part of video games is the anonymity one can enjoy. You can be whomever you please and nobody can know otherwise. Role playing in a video game is an amazing level of immersion someone can get out of a $60 game. Anyone who forgets or tries to hinder such behavior is forgetting what interactive storytelling and all forms of media is all about: FUN!

Going further into discussion, role playing or any form of personalization in video games is extremely helpful for people on a spiritual level. Many know that they'll never be an Astronaut, a Marine, a heroic leader or even live as the gender they desire to be or openly love who they wish. Video games offer the the ability to do so - to live out their dreams. Alternatively, some just want to have a richer experience out of the universe they hold so dear. The developers offer a canvas to do so, but they leave the painting up to you. I know that my life has certainly changed because of the innocent child-like dreams I had playing games as a kid. I know that I was given the short stick growing up, that I was playing solo Legendary with all skulls on. Having the ability to role play as who I wanted in a video game let me know who I wanted to become.

Anyone harassing a person for having fun is a soulless bully.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 00:11 (3975 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I may be a little soulless, but forgive for being the devil's advocate here for a sec. I truly hope I don't come across as harassing, because I would never want to do that to anyone.

At what point does what you explain above become too much or go too far? This line

some just want to have a richer experience out of the universe they hold so dear

I think was pretty great, and it makes me think of dressing up for cons or being part of a community like our awesome one right here! IMHO, that is healthy fun.

But you also said

Many know that they'll never be an Astronaut, a Marine, a heroic leader or even live as the gender they desire to be or openly love who they wish. Video games offer the the ability to do so - to live out their dreams.

I may have a difficult time explaining why, but this just doesn't feel right to me, and it leaves me feeling a bit sad.

I think one's dreams should be lived out in real life, along with all of real life's stuggles and difficulties, as well as joys and surprises. Video games are just that, games. Can they provide inspiration, encouragement, joy, experiences that are impossible to experience? Abso-freaking-lutely, and I think that insofar as those inspirations, encouragement, joys, and experiences help us in living a better real life and connecting better with real people, games are awesome and healthy.

But, there is such a thing as too much; and I believe "too much" happens when games and the universes and the easy escape they provide are used as a preferred alternative to real life. When you live more in a game world than you do in the real world, whether that be time-wise, emotional investment-wise, social engagement-wise, money-wise, whatever, I think that is too much and unhealthy.

Now, if you didn't intend all this by what you said, Grizzlei, then please disregard my devil's advocacy :)

With regards to spooky6's question, I think it really depends. Insofar as "true role playing" is done purely for fun, kind of like an actor playing a part, that can be really great and enjoyable for not only the person role playing, but the people they come across who understand that they are role playing (playing be the key word.) I'm pretty sure I would enjoy interacting with such a person. As long as they "keep it clean!" ;)

However, when it is done as a way of living, when the role is taken too seriously, when the game is no longer a game to that person, I think that is unhealthy. I would feel sad coming across a person like that, or if I ever reached that point myself (I may have reached it at times in the past, or been close to reaching it, and it is not an enjoyable place to be in.)

Good question, spooky6, and thanks for reading!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 00:37 (3975 days ago) @ Mr Daax

But you also said

Many know that they'll never be an Astronaut, a Marine, a heroic leader or even live as the gender they desire to be or openly love who they wish. Video games offer the the ability to do so - to live out their dreams.

I may have a difficult time explaining why, but this just doesn't feel right to me, and it leaves me feeling a bit sad.

As it does for me, of course. Allow me to explain shortly.

I think one's dreams should be lived out in real life, along with all of real life's stuggles and difficulties, as well as joys and surprises. Video games are just that, games. Can they provide inspiration, encouragement, joy, experiences that are impossible to experience? Abso-freaking-lutely, and I think that insofar as those inspirations, encouragement, joys, and experiences help us in living a better real life and connecting better with real people, games are awesome and healthy.

But, there is such a thing as too much; and I believe "too much" happens when games and the universes and the easy escape they provide are used as a preferred alternative to real life. When you live more in a game world than you do in the real world, whether that be time-wise, emotional investment-wise, social engagement-wise, money-wise, whatever, I think that is too much and unhealthy.

I too believe that such experiences and dreams should occur in real life. They owe themselves the happiness they deserve. But that's not always the case. Not everyone has the same luxury.

Choices that a person has made in their past, whether it concern their education or reputation, have detrimental consequences on their dreams. Concerning gender, sexuality, and other unique traits, many do not enjoy the right circumstances to change anything. This may be because of where they live, their family and friends, or they feel trapped for whatever reason. Ultimately, they give up hope. That's where escapism flourishes as a blessing. When your life outside the comfort of home is detrimental to your mental and physical health, you seek anything to give you a tear or smile.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 00:58 (3975 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Choices that a person has made in their past, whether it concern their education or reputation, have detrimental consequences on their dreams. Concerning gender, sexuality, and other unique traits, many do not enjoy the right circumstances to change anything. This may be because of where they live, their family and friends, or they feel trapped for whatever reason. Ultimately, they give up hope. That's where escapism flourishes as a blessing. When your life outside the comfort of home is detrimental to your mental and physical health, you seek anything to give you a tear or smile.

I'm not sure if I completely agree or disagree with this. I just wanted to add that I truly believe there is comfort and happiness to be found in accepting one's personal circumstances, including, and especially, those things that one cannot change or affect. Kind of reminds me of the Serenity Prayer, but anyways. How this applies to the present discussion, I can't figure out a good way to put it into words yet. Maybe some sleep will help :P Your comment just made me think of that tangent I guess.

Thanks for replying!

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 03:52 (3975 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm not sure if I completely agree or disagree with this. I just wanted to add that I truly believe there is comfort and happiness to be found in accepting one's personal circumstances, including, and especially, those things that one cannot change or affect. Kind of reminds me of the Serenity Prayer, but anyways. How this applies to the present discussion, I can't figure out a good way to put it into words yet. Maybe some sleep will help :P Your comment just made me think of that tangent I guess.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, on the other side of the coin, 'accepting personal circumstances that can't be changed' makes me feel profoundly uncomfortable.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 06:40 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Mmmmmmmmmmm, on the other side of the coin, 'accepting personal circumstances that can't be changed' makes me feel profoundly uncomfortable.

Yeah, I understand it's probably not the most widely accepted idea. Thanks for your input, Jillybean! I think I'm gonna leave this thread be, if only to avoid any unnecessary and/or uncomfortable discussion for anyone, including myself.

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 08:37 (3974 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Heh - yeah, could be problematic. Best left for a LAN :)

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 03:57 (3975 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The best part of video games is the anonymity one can enjoy. You can be whomever you please and nobody can know otherwise. Role playing in a video game is an amazing level of immersion someone can get out of a $60 game. Anyone who forgets or tries to hinder such behavior is forgetting what interactive storytelling and all forms of media is all about: FUN!

I have so many problems whenever I try to play 'renegade' or whatever. Whenever I'm playing a character who has choices, and I'm in any way attached to the character, they end up acting along my moral compass. I don't really get any joy out of playing the 'dick' characters.

I still love the roleplaying aspect, but most of my RP characters aren't too dissimilar.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 06:42 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

I have so many problems whenever I try to play 'renegade' or whatever. Whenever I'm playing a character who has choices, and I'm in any way attached to the character, they end up acting along my moral compass. I don't really get any joy out of playing the 'dick' characters.

Dang, I am the exact same way. I just get no fun out of playing the bad guy :)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 07:08 (3974 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Dang, I am the exact same way. I just get no fun out of playing the bad guy :)

Hey, sometimes the good guy can be mean, and sometimes that's fun. :)

How about 'goodbye?'

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:38 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

I still love the roleplaying aspect, but most of my RP characters aren't too dissimilar.

The character you're bringing to life is a unique extension of yourself. Role-playing in a role-playing setting doesn't mean that one needs to conduct themselves in a wholly foreign manner. When you find yourself having a crisis of conscious that one doesn't typically find themselves having in the real world, you've traversed the line between fantasy and reality.

Also, thank you for being a "paragon." :)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:45 (3974 days ago) @ Grizzlei

You could probably gauge my attitude towards the world at different times based on my Paragon/Renegade scores in ME2 and ME3. My current Vanguard is on his fourth time through ME3, and the Renegade meter has filled enough for the scars to come back just a tad (all that yelling at the quarians, I suppose).

But then I finally saw the paragon scene with Brooks at the end of Citadel, and it blew my mind. Kind of funny, because my attitude on a few topics is swinging back in a more... less harsh way?

Curious.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:54 (3974 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You could probably gauge my attitude towards the world at different times based on my Paragon/Renegade scores in ME2 and ME3. My current Vanguard is on his fourth time through ME3, and the Renegade meter has filled enough for the scars to come back just a tad (all that yelling at the quarians, I suppose).

I can only ever indulge myself in fuckery during renegade interrupts and when Khalisha al-Jilani shows her smug ass in my presence. How can you guys be so mean?!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:58 (3974 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I can only ever indulge myself in fuckery during renegade interrupts and when Khalisha al-Jilani shows her smug ass in my presence. How can you guys be so mean?!

Hahahaha. I've never punched al-Jilani. Yelling down the quarians though? It's what I've been wanting to say since ME2. It's also got that delcious snark at the end by turning the quarian's benediction around on it's head.

It all just kinda depends, I guess. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 13:31 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

I have so many problems whenever I try to play 'renegade' or whatever. Whenever I'm playing a character who has choices, and I'm in any way attached to the character, they end up acting along my moral compass.

Why? I'm very curious, because moral choice in games for me seems like a stupid thing, since moral choices in games aren't really moral choices at all.

A real moral choice is something which you need to decide based on MORALS - a sense of right and wrong that's outside of you. A moral choice in a video game is based on WHAT DO I WANT TO SEE HAPPEN NEXT. In a way it's the anti-moral choice, since it's necessarily a selfish choice. A real moral choice could have you doing something that hurts you, but is the right thing to do. Also, there's the fact that there's really nothing moral about lights on a screen, so being a dick as your character doesn't make you a bad person.

Before I gave up playing Walking Dead because it was horrendous, I was pretty much a dick to all the characters in the game because that was super fun.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:52 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A moral choice in a video game is based on WHAT DO I WANT TO SEE HAPPEN NEXT.

Hahahaha! That's not how everyone plays games. I can't remember all the times I've saved/helped virtual characters when it would have been much easier to let them die/kill them/steal from them. Nothing interesting happened (usually) I just did it because I felt it was the morally correct thing to do.

Also, morals aren't entirely external. They're very much based on our genetics.

Before I gave up playing Walking Dead because it was horrendous, I was pretty much a dick to all the characters in the game because that was super fun.

And here you are, role playing being a dick: because it's fun to pretend to be someone you're not sometimes! You don't regret that you not a huge dick and really do wish there was a Zombie apocalypse, it's just fun to play for a little while.

Adopting accents or responding in-character on voice chat/whatever are just degrees of the same game.

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 15:41 (3974 days ago) @ RC

Citation needed.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:56 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Citation needed.

Bibliography

• "Morals aren't entirely external. They're very much based on our genetics." - RC , UK, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:52

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:59 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Not in MLA format. Fail.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 17:54 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

Citation needed.

Bibliography

• "Morals aren't entirely external. They're very much based on our genetics." - RC , UK, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:52

Proper MLA format:

• C, R. "DBO Forums." Healthy Fun Is Something to Admire -. Http://destiny.bungie.org/, 16 June 2013. Web. 16 June 2013. <http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=10346>.

Ah . . . that's better. :P

Not in MLA format. Fail.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 22:17 (3974 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Dear Sir, why would you waste your life like that and trudge up painful flashbacks for me???

Is it sad that i'm bookmarking this for future reference?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, June 16, 2013, 22:57 (3974 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 15:40 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you remember a while ago on HBO we were talking about Limbo and you felt there was nothing to invest in in the game? I said that investing in a dead child was an automatic thing for me?

I invest in things much more easily than you. If I'm playing a game, I probably care about the characters enough to like them - and if I'm offered a choice, I tend to make them into someone I'd want to know.

I think Nico Bellic is the outlier. He was a dick and was always going to be a dick, and he felt like he fitted in his world.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 22:24 (3975 days ago) @ spooky6

I'll be very surprised if I don't come across people having fun role-playing within the game; I imagine we'll see ample usage of the emote actions (and perhaps a few players that extend the performance to their voice communications). :)

(Welcome to the DBO forum!)

What a stupid question.

by GrimBrother IV, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 06:25 (3974 days ago) @ spooky6

You know im kidding Spooky, its good to finally see you on the forums!

I actually hadn't really thought about it much but its an interesting question.we never really had that opportunity in the halo games, (with a slight exception for spartan ops) but, a closet dungeons and dragon player, I actually kind if love the role play idea. I may find myself dripping into character every once in a while if my fire team isn't too proud to join me.

-IV

Great to have you!

by GrimBrother One, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 09:16 (3974 days ago) @ spooky6

You know, I do a bit of role-playing in quite a few games, even games like Forza (caRPG). I think it's fun, and as long as it doesn't tread into an awkward territory with the people around you, it's great. :-)

Grim

Great to have you!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:27 (3974 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

You know, I do a bit of role-playing in quite a few games, even games like Forza (caRPG). I think it's fun, and as long as it doesn't tread into an awkward territory with the people around you, it's great. :-)

I'm really curious as to what this entails. You wouldn't mind sharing some of your stories, would you?

Great to have you!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:43 (3974 days ago) @ Grizzlei

He's an italian racecar driver, whose nonna lost her husband in the tunnels of Monaco, so he is forever haunted by fear of tight circuits.

Heh

I think I'm roleplaying in Forza 5 just that. I might even cuss you guys in italian.

Great to have you!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:44 (3974 days ago) @ ZackDark

My favorite insult is Italian! And yes, I'll have to email me to read it. Haha.

Sei molto fluente in italiano?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:46 (3974 days ago) @ ZackDark

Or as they say in Google translate - Are you very fluent in Italian?

Lol, in bocca al lupo mi amico.

by GrimBrother One, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:52 (3974 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Do you need a German or French speaking opponent?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 12:00 (3974 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Hmmm

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, June 16, 2013, 12:12 (3974 days ago) @ Grizzlei

While I would like some Prost-like rivalry, German cussing is just so much better for me.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:12 (3974 days ago) @ spooky6

Welcome.

I am Kermit. I am a grizzled space wizard. Don't cross me.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:34 (3974 days ago) @ Kermit

Welcome.

I am Kermit. I am a grizzled space wizard. Don't cross me.

He's not kidding. That cane smarts like a mutha!

Wait, we've hung out... that's not role playing!

by GrimBrother One, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:54 (3974 days ago) @ Kermit

That's just YOU! ;-)

Wait, we've hung out... that's not role playing!

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 15:16 (3974 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

Grim, the wisest of the wise. Stick close to him, for even when outmatched and surrounded by peril, his calm and inimitable personality will surely see you through the darkness.

And when the times are good, he makes them great! How does this apply to RP? Imagine taking the real world Grim and adding some awesome guns, space magic, and a +1 mace. Yeah. That awesome.

Lmao. I love you.

by GrimBrother One, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:58 (3974 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 18:03 (3974 days ago) @ Kermit

I am Kermit. I am a grumpy space wizard. Don't cross me.

Sounds like somebody's overdue for a nap!

That time already?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 21:30 (3974 days ago) @ Bones

- No text -

I will BE my Guardian -southern accent included.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:47 (3974 days ago) @ spooky6

This is how I play practically every game ever - it's just that since it's usually single player, not much of it gets verbally expressed. But I've been informed that I talk to Skyrim NPCs all the time apparently, without me even realizing it.

In Halo campaigns, I was always thinking as Master Chief. When one of my soldiers would die, I'd go over and check them and make sure, look around at my survivors and say "We've got to keep moving." Stuff like that. Multiplayer, except for Fireifight and sometimes Invasion, was just too sport-like to really maintain the role play.

But with Destiny, I can't wait. And I'm totally looking for a wolf pack who's interested in playing the same way. When we get closer to launch, I'll be trying to organize some parties that like to play the same way.

(And who cares if some people judge you wrongly for it - there're probably just too scared to admit that they too wish they could run around pretending to be Batman like they were 8. Hell, we're all sitting in front of a TV playing video games for hours - I wouldn't call role-playing any more childish on top of that.)

I will BE my Guardian - individual accent included.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:50 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

This is how I play practically every game ever - it's just that since it's usually single player, not much of it gets verbally expressed. But I've been informed that I talk to Skyrim NPCs all the time apparently, without me even realizing it.

In Halo campaigns, I was always thinking as Master Chief. When one of my soldiers would die, I'd go over and check them and make sure, look around at my survivors and say "We've got to keep moving." Stuff like that. Multiplayer, except for Fireifight and sometimes Invasion, was just too sport-like to really maintain the role play.

But with Destiny, I can't wait. And I'm totally looking for a wolf pack who's interested in playing the same way. When we get closer to launch, I'll be trying to organize some parties that like to play the same way.

(And who cares if some people judge you wrongly for it - there're probably just too scared to admit that they too wish they could run around pretending to be Batman like they were 8. Hell, we're all sitting in front of a TV playing video games for hours - I wouldn't call role-playing any more childish on top of that.)

I don't do this often - but have been known to do it. Helps with the immersion.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 12:05 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

Dude, I loved this! And apparently Batman makes everything, even analogies, better :)

by spooky6, Tampa Fl, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 12:39 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

And that's what i hope to see a lot of. I wonder if Bungie will support a clan system? So we can have more "team" interaction. Or even clan on clan pvp.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 17:16 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

This is exactly what I imagined for Co-op Nights. There were usually people who wanted to do goofy stuff, and I enjoyed that, too, because a lot of that you couldn't do by yourself, but I was always torn between the two approaches.

When I got a team that was in-character, it was awesome.

Kermit

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 17:34 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

Immersion is my #1 goal when I interact with fiction.

And it has been for as long as I can remember.

Sadly, I have only had two D&D experiences, and I just had to learn the culture and the premise of the game as fast as I could (I've still only just barely dipped my toes in it), but I tell you the truth, because of my time in Drama Club in high school, I took the acting very seriously, and I loved it.

It's like co-authoring a book with someone, but way more fun.

I did the same thing with Reach. My Noble Six ran with Noble Team as part of a unit. I didn't merely play as him--I portrayed him.

With VR upcoming as a viable tech, I am very excited about the D&D-type possibilities.

Levi, I'd be thrilled to be a part of that wolf-pack, if there's space available.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, June 17, 2013, 07:01 (3973 days ago) @ Leviathan

You've gotta let me hear this southern accent. I must authenticate it's, um, authenticity. ;)

- CC

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:41 (3973 days ago) @ CaneCutter

I think what he's really trying to say is that he role plays as you.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 17, 2013, 13:30 (3973 days ago) @ CaneCutter

You've gotta let me hear this southern accent. I must authenticate it's, um, authenticity. ;)

- CC

Get me in a Bungie vehicle and all excited and I'll start slipping into the whooping and holler'n side I inherited from my father.

I think when I've played with you and Bluerunner I've tried actively to NOT slip into the accent so as to seem I wasn't mocking you guys.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 17, 2013, 13:39 (3973 days ago) @ Leviathan

I think when I've played with you and Bluerunner I've tried actively to NOT slip into the accent so as to seem I wasn't mocking you guys.

Nah, it's cool. I got a laugh from what Schooly posted on my facebook wall the other day.
"Bluerunner reviews Shenmue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcJeJIqca4"

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, June 17, 2013, 11:58 (3973 days ago) @ Leviathan

This is where some games make your realize you want to be like that person or interact in that world. The Arkham games reignited my burning love for Batman that went cold when the Animated Series went off the air. They captured something truly beautiful about flying across an alleyway like a ballerina to make sure the 8:15 locomotive fist made into Joker Thug's nutsack station in time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 13:37 (3974 days ago) @ spooky6

Could it be a better way to be immersed in the world or do you think you would be shunned by those who simply did not understand your life choice?

I gotta say, I'm one of those people who doesn't understand that sort of choice. To me, Role Playing is sort of based on regret. It's based on regret, because you want to imagine yourself as another person in another place, and that means you don't want to be where you are right now or who you are right now, or else you'd be yourself and doing whatever you want.

It's one thing to play an RPG or a video game (an activity, acting as yourself), but it's another thing to BECOME the character. I don't see how that's anything but sad.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:18 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm a little cofused here dude. First you said

I'm very curious, because moral choice in games for me seems like a stupid thing, since moral choices in games aren't really moral choices at all.

to Jillybean. Then you said

I gotta say, I'm one of those people who doesn't understand that sort of choice. To me, Role Playing is sort of based on regret. It's based on regret, because you want to imagine yourself as another person in another place, and that means you don't want to be where you are right now or who you are right now, or else you'd be yourself and doing whatever you want.

What if the "moral choices" a person makes in a game are how they play as themselves? I don't normally act like a jerk (at least I try not to), so I don't act that way in a game. I just don't really have any desire to. It's not that I'm making a moral choice when I do that, since I agree with you that they are just pixels on a screen (with regards to all the NPC's and environment at least); I'm just being myself while I play.

Also, I think Levi had an awesome point about good role playing being akin to a child's game of pretend. And, Batman.

What about acting?

by GrimBrother One, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:19 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

What about acting?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:33 (3974 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

If it's anything like acting, then it's the most like practice?

What, you mean this?

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 15:19 (3974 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

C'mon Nixon

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:24 (3974 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

They said that about video gaming in general...

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:38 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's one thing to play an RPG or a video game (an activity, acting as yourself), but it's another thing to BECOME the character. I don't see how that's anything but sad.

Are all actors sad then?

Honestly though, if you don't 'get it' you shouldn't judge it. There is lots of stuff I judged too quickly and passed over when I was younger and have since 'got' and realised I was simply missing out.

It's fun. Or can be, rather. End of story.

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:27 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As they say in my country, fair do's.

But I think it's really sad that you don't seem to have any desire to explore novel situations from a safe (i.e. imaginary) standpoint.

Exploring fictional scenarios (e.g. through novels, video games, movies) allow are a recognised way of improving empathic skills. This is generally seen as a good, conducive, social skill.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:32 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Exploring fictional scenarios (e.g. through novels, video games, movies) allow are a recognised way of improving empathic skills. This is generally seen as a good, conducive, social skill.

That doesn't require you to role play. I've learned plenty from Star Trek, but I've never role played Picard.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:49 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That doesn't require you to role play. I've learned plenty from Star Trek, but I've never role played Picard.

I see really really getting into a great book or show and really feeling what the character feels is a form of role-play.

This role-play brought up is just a verbalization of it, an acting out of it, to create another layer to the story that you yourself is weaving.

by Jillybean, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:52 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Specific examples of roleplaying improving empathic skills usually focus on race relationsor gender biases.

It's theorised that by taking action, instead of passively absorbing the media, the 'lessons' are more quickly/more ardently learned.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 18:23 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Specific examples of roleplaying improving empathic skills usually focus on race relationsor gender biases.

It's theorised that by taking action, instead of passively absorbing the media, the 'lessons' are more quickly/more ardently learned.

I watched Next Gen with my father growing up, and after most episodes he'd sit me down and ask me about the ethical issue or philosophical dilemma in the episode.

"So, do you think Picard / Data / Worf / whoever made the right decision? Why? What would you have done?"

I never had to pretend to be any of those characters, just place myself in his shoes. To me that is very different, and a little more valuable than taking on a new persona and way of thought, whose moral values may be different than your own.

I cannot read those papers because they are behind a paywall, so reading all three would cost 75 bucks. Can you email them to me or just recount the hypothesis, procedure, data, and conclusion? Thanks.

by Jillybean, Monday, June 17, 2013, 00:33 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

just recount the hypothesis, procedure, data, and conclusion? Thanks.

i.e. the abstract? Which you can see as I was doing this on my home computer not logged in.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 10:32 (3973 days ago) @ Jillybean

just recount the hypothesis, procedure, data, and conclusion? Thanks.

i.e. the abstract? Which you can see as I was doing this on my home computer not logged in.

None of those abstracts seem to suggest what you are saying. I read each one, and role playing is not mentioned in the context you did.

The first says that fantasy games lack black people. No mention of Role Playing improving empathy…

The second abstract says that by contemplating someone else's experience, you are better able to empathize. Duh. But that's not Role Playing…

The third says that MMOs normalize sexism. No mention of Role Playing improving empathy.

Popular magazines get this wrong often. They read the title and abstract but not the actual paper, and misrepresent shit all the time.

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 12:15 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. "As a result, reductive racial stereotypes and representations proliferate while productive and politically disruptive racial differences are ejected or neutralized through fantastical proxies."

2. "participants who adopted the perspective of a Black target in an initial context subsequently exhibited more positive automatic interracial evaluations, with changes in automatic evaluations mediating the effect of perspective taking on more deliberate interracial evaluations"

These abstracts are stating that:

• people can and will learn "normality" via electronic interaction. In the example used, this is to a negative result.
  • People can attain social skills and understanding of other non-user groups, in this case "Black" people. In the example used, this is to a positive result.

These strongly relate to the pedagogy of empathy.

Did you even read them?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 12:53 (3973 days ago) @ Oz Mills

Did you even read them?

Yes. Show me where Role Playing is specifically mentioned, because I don;t see it.

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 17:55 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 18:02

Did you even read them?

Yes. Show me where Role Playing is specifically mentioned, because I don;t see it.

The bits that discuss having "adopted the perspectives" of other people, and discussion of "shared values" within a "virtual space"'s fictional setting.

It doesn't use the words "Role-Playing" in all three because it's in Journal-speak, the titles of which generally describe concepts to excess rather than just saying what they are.

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:14 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:44

Jillybean suggests that roleplaying increases empathy. You follow that by displaying a complete lack of empathy for others' learning styles. You focus the conversation on yourself, saying "Well *I* never needed that!"

It sounds like you need the lessons roleplaying can bring, to me! :P

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:27 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hah, wow. You couldn't possibly enjoy your life AND enjoy pretending to experience another one, could you?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:33 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

Hah, wow. You couldn't possibly enjoy your life AND enjoy pretending to experience another one, could you?

Isn't the desire to experience another life such, because your life lacks whatever it is the imagined life has? Regret.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 16:46 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Isn't the desire to experience another life such, because your life lacks whatever it is the imagined life has? Regret.

It doesn't have to be motivated by regret - it can be motivated by wonder and curiosity.

You can live in the past, the present, and the future, or nowhere or nowhen at all, and learn things from it: new experiences, new ideas, new perspectives to change your present life, to influx it with new ideas and emotions, ways of thinking on a problem you've never thought before... It's empathy, it's education, it's shifting the paradigm. And it all can benefit your own life.

Actually, some of the people I've met who are really into various forms of role-playing, like D&D and Renaissance Festivals, tend to enjoy their own life more than the ones who mock them that I've met.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 17:23 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Regret implies we could have made choices that would allow us to actually live the imagined experience. That's often not the case.

I should think that this is obvious.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 20:24 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Alright, I can't wield healing magic and walk around in full plate and bash wights over the head with a mace in real life. And I don't want to. Not one moment have I ever wished to be a character I've created. I'm not driven by regret, I'm driven by fun. To me, it is no different than if I was writing a story. You're looking how regret can drive someone to escapism and making the conclusion that all escapism is the result of regret, and looking at how role playing can be driven by escapism and making the conclusion that all role playing is driven by escapism. Let me tell you, not everyone who role plays is driven by regret; I'd say most aren't. Of course I regret things, like anyone, but I don't try to run away; and my Dungeons & Dragons characters, or Skyrim characters, or whatever, they have nothing to do with my regrets. They really, really don't.

this tells us a lot

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 17, 2013, 01:26 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

about your thought process.

Oh and I agree with Kermit, it doesn't make logical sense to refer to it as regret. I'm not sure what action of mine I'd be regretting if I was having a good time role playing as a quiet bad ass that stands up for justice in the wilds outside AND inside the walls of the city.

Like "oh man I should have paid more attention in that film class, I could have become a ... guardian?????"

It's actually comical to consider role playing as driven by regret.

this tells us a lot

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:49 (3973 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It's not entirely crazy to conceive of it as wish-fulfillment. You WANT to be a hero for a day. But this is also a reason that some (not all) people play OTHER games, such as Halo or Destiny.

Not regret, though.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 06:53 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wait, what?

That's like saying people who want to visit Paris only do so because where they live lacks something that Paris has.

I enjoy the bustle of New York for an afternoon - but I'd HATE living there. I don't regret for a second that my home does not include that bustle.

(Ironic example, given that I'm moving to a pretty big city in a month. :) It ain't NY, though.)

by Jillybean, Monday, June 17, 2013, 07:03 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ooh where you off to? (and didn't you move houses last year?)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 07:35 (3973 days ago) @ Jillybean

Moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

...wait, that's something else.

Moving to Seattle. And you're probably thinking about the house-buying which happened last year - we didn't move yet, but we DID find the place in the fall.

by Jillybean, Monday, June 17, 2013, 07:52 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ahhh! I shall update my stalking book accordingly.

(Going to have a house warming lan? ;) )

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:03 (3973 days ago) @ Jillybean

The house is not ready for people yet - but it's a good bet there'll be a lan in the not-TOO-distant future. ;)

Or a series of them. Or something.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 13:59 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The house is not ready for people yet - but it's a good bet there'll be a lan in the not-TOO-distant future. ;)

Or a series of them. Or something.

*puppy dog eyes*

Sleightrocity is one of my life's highlights.

Sleightrocity

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 17, 2013, 16:50 (3973 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Sleightrocity is one of my life's highlights.

That was before my time, so I looked it up. HOLY SPACEMAGIC Batman! That sounds like a blast, and my excitement just went into overdrive thinking about how I could actually make it to a LAN near my home.

Also, fingerless gaming gloves dude? Really?

Sleightrocity

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 18:00 (3973 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Also, fingerless gaming gloves dude? Really?

Psh, hell yeah dude. I just got some new ones this weekend. Hardcore.

Sleightrocity

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 07:54 (3972 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'd rather go to that than PAX in all honesty.

Sleightrocity

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 09:31 (3972 days ago) @ Kermit

I feel the same way, though I just might be able to make it to PAX to see some other DBOers and to hang out in beautiful Seattle for a bit.

Sleightrocity

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 09:52 (3972 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I feel the same way, though I just might be able to make it to PAX to see some other DBOers and to hang out in beautiful Seattle for a bit.

My inner dissident likes the idea of holding a LAN in Seattle during PAX, specifically for people who couldn't get/afford tickets. :P

Sleightrocity

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:00 (3972 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Especially as tickets seem rarer. Honestly, Halofest was awesome, but I attended the PAX proper for a few hours, tops.

Last year was a bit different, with special stuff planned by MS, and Halo 4 being in the convention hall.

This year I anticipate being wherever Destiny/Bungie is, mostly.

But really, the coolest part was/is always hanging out with you people face to face.

Kermit

Sleightrocity

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:12 (3972 days ago) @ Kermit

Especially as tickets seem rarer. Honestly, Halofest was awesome, but I attended the PAX proper for a few hours, tops.

Last year was a bit different, with special stuff planned by MS, and Halo 4 being in the convention hall.

This year I anticipate being wherever Destiny/Bungie is, mostly.

But really, the coolest part was/is always hanging out with you people face to face.

Kermit

We went to PAX East the first year it was there. It was... underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time. The former because I can't help but feel like I'm being sold to the entire time, and overwhelming at the number of people and the difficulty in interacting with them.

On the bright side, 'Top Ten Video Games Ever' was awesome, and I got to pick some of the panelists' brains re: Mass Effect 2. My spouse also literally ran into Wil Wheaton without realizing who he was. That was also an important weekend for us, personally.

Anyway. I digress. Or do I? I seem to be making the point it's those face to face interactions that you remember. I'm not sure you should have to pay hundreds of dollars for the chance (though here we are discussing trips to Seattle).

Sleightrocity

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:43 (3972 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Anyway. I digress. Or do I? I seem to be making the point it's those face to face interactions that you remember. I'm not sure you should have to pay hundreds of dollars for the chance (though here we are discussing trips to Seattle).

Yeah, well, every LAN I've attended outside of my city has costs me hundreds (except for maybe Malagate's).

Hope we get to meet someday, hombre.

Kerm

Sleightrocity

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:49 (3972 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, well, every LAN I've attended outside of my city has costs me hundreds (except for maybe Malagate's).

Hope we get to meet someday, hombre.

Kerm

Me too. Let us have an accord! SO IT IS WRITTEN.

Anywho, next time something is going on I'll have to run it by K. She'd kick more than a little butt at a Destiny LAN.

Sleightrocity

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:23 (3972 days ago) @ Kermit

I would love a LAN during the week before PAX weekend. If you really want to burn out all my vacation days.

I love see the peeps at PAX, getting to play split screen with them in the free play room is always my favorite moment across my time gaming. It's truly magical.

Sleightrocity

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 19:11 (3972 days ago) @ Kermit

I spent three full days at E3 and only managed to play three games. (Forza 5, Halo: Spartan Assault, and some garbage PS4 FPS port.)

Most of my time was spent hanging out with DBO people (or loitering around the Bungie booth). :)

Sleightrocity

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 19:09 (3972 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

My inner dissident likes the idea of holding a LAN in Seattle during PAX, specifically for people who couldn't get/afford tickets. :P

I imagine most of the DBO meetups that weekend won't require a PAX badge to attend. :)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:10 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Moving to Seattle. And you're probably thinking about the house-buying which happened last year - we didn't move yet, but we DID find the place in the fall.

Seattle?!

• . . . But you are the Head Honcho nabob of a (Bestist Evah) Bungie fan site(s)!
  • . . . And Bungie is in Seattle
  • . . . and possibly some other third thing

Well then. Good luck building your dental floss empire.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:13 (3973 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Seattle?!

• . . . But you are the Head Honcho nabob of a (Bestist Evah) Bungie fan site(s)!
  • . . . And Bungie is in Seattle
  • . . . and possibly some other third thing

Well then. Good luck building your dental floss empire.

Heh.

To keep any rumors from sprouting, I am not taking a job with Bungie when I move. We are moving for family reasons, more than anything.

(I know nothing about dental floss - but I do have a soft spot in my heart for Frank Zappa.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 10:17 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Moving to Seattle.

Hyperarchive Northwest will rise again!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 17, 2013, 16:55 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Very exciting :)

I have moved 4 times in the past 3 years, plus I've helped a couple friends move during that time, so if you need a hand when you get up here, and if I'm free to head out to Seattle for a bit, give me a holler. I'd be happy to lend a hand to a fellow DBOer, (or Doober, or whatever we call ourselves) seeing as that particular blend of kindness has already been extended to me by a certain Wookie. (Thanks again Chewbaccawakka!)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 17, 2013, 17:02 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Everyone and their dog seems to be moving here. Well anyhoo, allow me to be the first online (or on this thread) to welcome you to Seattle. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 10:15 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's like saying people who want to visit Paris only do so because where they live lacks something that Paris has.

Uh yes? If your city had it, you wouldn't need to go to Paris…

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 10:21 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's absurd.

Nobody NEEDS to go to Paris. People WANT to go to Paris. Because it's a place they haven't been, not because it has something they currently lack.

This is a silly argument.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 10:23 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's absurd.

Nobody NEEDS to go to Paris. People WANT to go to Paris. Because it's a place they haven't been, not because it has something they currently lack.

Of course it's a want and not a need. But you want to go there because it's unique! You want to see things and do things that you can only see and do in Paris.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 12:13 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's absurd.

Of course it's a want and not a need. But you want to go there because it's unique! You want to see things and do things that you can only see and do in Paris.

EVERY place is unique. Bethany, CT has things that NO OTHER PLACE ON EARTH has. (My dog, for example.)

That doesn't mean that wanting to go to these places has to be driven by regret. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to point to anything in my life where my actions are driven by regret.

Humans are a bit more multifaceted than you're giving them credit for.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 12:58 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That doesn't mean that wanting to go to these places has to be driven by regret. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to point to anything in my life where my actions are driven by regret.

Regret is a strong word, but I think that's what it really is.

Say you want to go to Paris. That means that you wish to be there, for whatever reason. In that sense, you regret being where you are right that minute, because you'd rather be in Paris. Just because it's not strong regret doesn't mean it's not regret…

So that's not necessarily a negative, because you GO TO PARIS and have a good time. The difference between Role Playing and that, is that you actually go to Paris, but when you Role Play, you aren;t actually doing it.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 17, 2013, 13:07 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In that sense, you regret being where you are right that minute, because you'd rather be in Paris.

...I don't think you quite understand what regret is. Just because I'd rather be elsewhere doesn't mean I regret being here. I'd rather be in a world with no wars than at my grandparent's house, but that doesn't mean I'd regret I was visiting them.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 14:02 (3973 days ago) @ RaichuKFM
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Monday, June 17, 2013, 14:13

In that sense, you regret being where you are right that minute, because you'd rather be in Paris.

...I don't think you quite understand what regret is. Just because I'd rather be elsewhere doesn't mean I regret being here. I'd rather be in a world with no wars than at my grandparent's house, but that doesn't mean I'd regret I was visiting them.

It's probably our ridiculous culture of 'NO REGRETS YOLO' cheaping then word more than anything else. I, for one, like thinking of it on a sliding scale.

EDIT: Maybe there's a better, more descriptive word than regret?

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 17, 2013, 14:21 (3973 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I like the sliding scale view as well.

Also, whenever someone justifies something life-threatening and dumb with "You Only Live Once" I can't help but think they have it backwards. If you only live once, why waste it on something dumb? Also, OOLO (One Only Lives Once) is less confusing when talking to a particular person, as you aren't using "you" as both a second-person and a third-person pronoun, you know?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 15:00 (3973 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Also, whenever someone justifies something life-threatening and dumb with "You Only Live Once" I can't help but think they have it backwards. If you only live once, why waste it on something dumb?

This is why I'm so 'jaded' when it comes to games. If I only live once, and that time is limited, why would I spend it playing anything but the absolute best?

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 17, 2013, 15:16 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also, whenever someone justifies something life-threatening and dumb with "You Only Live Once" I can't help but think they have it backwards. If you only live once, why waste it on something dumb?

This is why I'm so 'jaded' when it comes to games. If I only live once, and that time is limited, why would I spend it playing anything but the absolute best?

Fair enough. No matter what arguments I get into, I never want to tell someone else what they should like, because that is up to them. And never, EVER will I try to say that something is the best [insert medium here], at least not seriously*. Just play what you like the best, I guess.

*But come on, everyone knows Duck Hunt on the NES is the best game ever.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 15:19 (3973 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

*But come on, everyone knows Duck Hunt on the NES is the best game ever.

Conta or PISTOLS AT DAWN.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 17, 2013, 17:28 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think I understand where you're coming from with this, and I really respect your decision to not waste your life just playing video games.

But I don't see how only playing "the absolute best" games, when you do play games, is going to make your life any better. I don't think it is so much what you do that makes your life good, but why and how you do whatever you do. So looking at gaming, I try to play games more during my downtime and as a chance to relax and enjoy a cool story/universe/play experience, or to spend some time with distant friends. Relaxation is kind of a necessity, and experiencing different stories and worlds, whether through books, TV, or games, is, for me, one of the joys of life. Spending time with friends is another huge joy of life for me.

I'm getting a little sidetracked. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't so much judge games by whether they are objectively "the absolute best" or not, but whether you, Cody Miller, genuinely enjoy them or not. It could have some strange or bad mechanics, or a less than stellar plotline, or aggravating characters, but if there is just something about it that you enjoy, why not continue playing it?

Now, if by "the absolute best" you mean a game that you personally enjoy more than any other, then by all means, I say continue with your current mindset.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:20 (3972 days ago) @ Mr Daax

lol, I should've just read your response. Says everything I was trying to say.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 12:01 (3972 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

lol, I should've just read your response. Says everything I was trying to say.

Mediocre minds, and all that :) I'm just happy to share viewpoints with people.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:05 (3972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I feel as though this dilemma can only be made harder in that games are not objectively good or bad, more game or less. They all have qualities that make their experiences more or less enjoyable or intense, but it's all relative.

I know Transformers Fall of Cybertron is nowhere near the best game of all time or even of the year, but my life would be less enjoyable if I had never experienced it. They did right by Transformers fans like me, so I enjoyed it and it has a special place in my heart, but that doesn't make it great or the best. While I agree playing better games will make more enjoyment of gaming, It's not a cookie cutter solution. Fallout 3 is one of the highest hailed games of this generation, but I just couldn't play it for more than 10 hours without quitting. I just didn't enjoy it very much. Maybe I can give it another try and enjoy it, but that won't change that games are not inherently good or bad. It's betting that others will have a comparable experience to yours and relate to your shared enjoyment or lack of enjoyment.

lol

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 18:49 (3972 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Fallout 3 is one of the highest hailed games of this generation, but I just couldn't play it for more than 10 hours without quitting. I just didn't enjoy it very much.

Funny thing is, most "outsiders" from the gaming world would totally scratch their heads in confusion over that one.

Heh. Yep.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 19:40 (3972 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

lol

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 10:30 (3971 days ago) @ ZackDark

10 might be generous, I gave it the old college try.

Now Skyrim I liked, but I fell off with that game because I had a choice. Play Skyrim or play every other game I want to play. There is not enough time for both.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 20:37 (3972 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I feel as though this dilemma can only be made harder in that games are not objectively good or bad, more game or less. They all have qualities that make their experiences more or less enjoyable or intense, but it's all relative.

I know Transformers Fall of Cybertron is nowhere near the best game of all time or even of the year, but my life would be less enjoyable if I had never experienced it. They did right by Transformers fans like me, so I enjoyed it and it has a special place in my heart, but that doesn't make it great or the best. While I agree playing better games will make more enjoyment of gaming, It's not a cookie cutter solution. Fallout 3 is one of the highest hailed games of this generation, but I just couldn't play it for more than 10 hours without quitting. I just didn't enjoy it very much. Maybe I can give it another try and enjoy it, but that won't change that games are not inherently good or bad. It's betting that others will have a comparable experience to yours and relate to your shared enjoyment or lack of enjoyment.

Hell, you can even think something is amazing and probably the best there is and still not enjoy it as much, or for as much time, as something worse. My 'favorite' games or movies don't line up all that well with my 'best'. You can find enjoyment and enlightenment in the most surprising of places.

by scarab @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 18:45 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But aren't we always playing roles? I don't trust the notion that there is a real you. A one and only version of you.

The notion that you should be true to yourself is just buying into a bogus philosophy. It's just another role being imposed on you because you subscribe to a point of view or have bowed down to an argument about how you should behave.

+1 to all of that

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 03:50 (3973 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

I feel a Rush song coming on.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 07:00 (3972 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

An excellent point

by Jillybean, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:05 (3972 days ago) @ scarab

And that point deserves much more credence that Cody will give it.

An excellent point

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:06 (3972 days ago) @ Jillybean
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:10

Because responding leads back to 'the matrix' (the real one, not the movie) and people roll their eyes when they see that.

In a sense he is right, because most young people and baby boomers are narcissists, thus they kind of are role playing their projected identities and playing a part in their little movie which they are the main character of.

Just because it's prevalent doesn't make it right or any less sad.

An excellent point

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:38 (3972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because responding leads back to 'the matrix' (the real one, not the movie) and people roll their eyes when they see that.

In a sense he is right, because most young people and baby boomers are narcissists, thus they kind of are role playing their projected identities and playing a part in their little movie which they are the main character of.

Pretty much everyone I know does this to some degree, not just young people and baby boomers. Have you never been in a heated discussion with someone when the phone rings, and one of you (whoever answers it) goes from angry to neutral (or cheery) in the snap of a finger? That's playing a role. That's not who you are at that moment - and yet doing so is not 'sad', it's polite.

There are a million other examples. You don't talk to your mother the same way you talk to your peers. And so on. All of these are examples of you 'playing a role' - you might say that they're just sides of yourself, but they're not ALL of you, so you're not being 100% 'you' if you show one or another and not all.

There's no matrix involved.

An excellent point

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 12:48 (3972 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Pretty much everyone I know does this to some degree, not just young people and baby boomers. Have you never been in a heated discussion with someone when the phone rings, and one of you (whoever answers it) goes from angry to neutral (or cheery) in the snap of a finger? That's playing a role. That's not who you are at that moment - and yet doing so is not 'sad', it's polite.

There are a million other examples. You don't talk to your mother the same way you talk to your peers. And so on. All of these are examples of you 'playing a role' - you might say that they're just sides of yourself, but they're not ALL of you, so you're not being 100% 'you' if you show one or another and not all.

If we can't do what Claude describes here, how do we even function as a person, much less a group of people?

An excellent point

by Oz Mills, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 13:49 (3972 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I have been informed by my partner that around them I'm a very different person than I am around others.

Around them I'm relaxed, calm, more honest about my attitudes, whereas around others it feels like I'm "trying" too hard.

It's all how you react to situations with different people. It doesn't make you dishonest, or means you're a different person with entirely different viewpoints, it's just different coping mechanisms for the different things about different people.

An excellent point

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:00 (3971 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Notions of politeness and manners, ideas which govern how you should behave, are internalized expressions of the system's power over you. We don't live under a totalitarian dictator, so that power comes not from a single source, but an amalgamation of many things comprising the system.

It's involved I think.

An excellent point

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:32 (3970 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree with that view, but not that it is something to get away from. I'd further extend it, as well: If you're doing anything that doesn't come instinctually, its a result of outside influences. You really can't make a distinction between a "real" you and a you-acting-differently-because-of-the-outside, because to get anything at all you have to change what counts as outside influence, and I just see that as arbitrary. I still vehemently oppose the idea that there is a "real" you, but that is just down to base personal beliefs and I don't like arguing about those.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:46 (3972 days ago) @ scarab
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:55

But aren't we always playing roles? I don't trust the notion that there is a real you. A one and only version of you.

The notion that you should be true to yourself is just buying into a bogus philosophy. It's just another role being imposed on you because you subscribe to a point of view or have bowed down to an argument about how you should behave.

Eh, I believe there is a real me, and he would be pretty wretched if he didn't bow down to an argument about how he should behave.

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 12:18 (3973 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Despite research papers, journals, and external discussions being cited elsewhere, this may be the most true thing said in this entire thread.

by Hoovaloov, Monday, June 17, 2013, 18:59 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would call that envy, jealousy, or covetousness.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 10:14 (3972 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

I would call that envy, jealousy, or covetousness.

What about inspiration?

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:11 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:18

As someone who just came back from a weekend of LARP, I feel incredibly patronised and insulted.

My life is great, but I wanted to spend a weekend with the CHALLENGE of roleplay, the PROGRESSION of a plot, and the SOCIAL ENJOYMENT of a weekend with friends in a shared experience.

It's nothing about regret. It's just a different type of game, one with a lot more social interactivity nuance and reward than a board-game or videogame, and requires a different skillset.

I recommend you read about GNS Theory. It gives 3 good reasons that a person might want to roleplay that aren't "They regret their life" in the same way that one would want to play a videogame, watch a movie, or be interested in other cultures and universes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNS_Theory

Gamist - You're playing a game
Narrativist - You're experiencing a plot
Simulationist - You're immersing yourself in a universe

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 17, 2013, 10:37 (3973 days ago) @ Oz Mills

I'm not sure how you can play a game without immersing yourself in the universe it creates… They go hand in hand. I find those categories stupid. I mean, I realize you want to peg me as a Gamist, but I wouldn't play games if the simulation wasn't immersive…

I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite because the world was fun to be in. But if Bioshock Infinite had looked like this instead? I probably would have hated it.

by Oz Mills, Monday, June 17, 2013, 12:17 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not sure how you can play a game without immersing yourself in the universe it creates… They go hand in hand. I find those categories stupid. I mean, I realize you want to peg me as a Gamist, but I wouldn't play games if the simulation wasn't immersive…

I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite because the world was fun to be in. But if Bioshock Infinite had looked like this instead? I probably would have hated it.

You don't have to be just one. In theory, the person who enjoys all three in a particular gaming system is a perfect fit.

I didn't peg you as anything.

by Jabberwok, Monday, June 17, 2013, 05:08 (3974 days ago) @ spooky6

I don't see how it's a _guilty_ pleasure. That's the way it's supposed to be. Now role-playing outside the game is a bit different, though in-character forums would be cool.

This is why I personally dislike voice chat, because I don't want to have my immersion broken by people talking about gamerscores, call of duty, or what they're eating for dinner. With text-only chat on computers, it's easy to ignore if necessary. That said, bad in-character role-playing will break immersion just as much as anything else.

I've never owned a headset or mic, and that probably won't change. Who knows, I may just mute all the voice chat, so I can pretend I'm meeting real Guardians, and not 12-year-old kids sitting around in their parents' living room.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread