Destiny Detox Program (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:08 (3003 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:16

What's on your upcoming Destiny Detox program? (Game wise)

-Uncharted 4
-Mirror's Edge Catalyst
-Johnny Rocketfingers 3
-Day of the Tentacle Remaster
-Thimbleweed Park
-Whispered World 2
-Tacoma
-The Devil's Men
-Doom
-No Man's Sky
-Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

(Add your own! I can't always keep up with what's coming out.)

More than enough to keep my interest before Bungie finally does something substantive.

Destiny Detox Program

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:22 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Ditto. Incredibly excited for this.

-Tacoma

Ditto.

-No Man's Sky

I'm eager to see more of this one. I'm not really sold, and if it's only as deep as what we've seen so far, I'll pass. There's got to be more to it, for me. I feel like Starbound already does what No Man's Sky does, albeit as a 2D sidescroller rather than 3D FPS.

I never did finish Human Revolution, but enjoyed what I did play, so I'll keep this one on the watch list.

(Add your own! I can't always keep up with what's coming out.)

-Firewatch next week.
-XCOM 2, even though I probably can't play it. If my Surface Pro 4 would run it at all, it'd look like garbage, I'm sure.
-Dark Souls 3
-Unravel

There's more I'm anticipating, but that's it for the first part of the year, at the moment.

Destiny Detox Program

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:29 (3003 days ago) @ cheapLEY

-No Man's Sky

I'm eager to see more of this one. I'm not really sold, and if it's only as deep as what we've seen so far, I'll pass. There's got to be more to it, for me. I feel like Starbound already does what No Man's Sky does, albeit as a 2D sidescroller rather than 3D FPS.

It's going to suck, but I feel like it will suck in an interesting way if that makes any sense.

Destiny Detox Program

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:43 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-No Man's Sky

It's going to suck, but I feel like it will suck in an interesting way if that makes any sense.

I don't disagree that it'll probably suck; I'm undecided if it'll be interesting. I feel like it's ultimately just going to be exactly what we've seen of it so far, just stretched out for as long as you can stand to play it. Which would be about ten minutes for me.

People are going to swear up and down that's it's the best thing to ever happen to video games, either way.

Theory

by electricpirate @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 16:28 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-No Man's Sky

I've always felt that a large part of Destiny's success comes from failing in interesting ways.

Destiny Detox Program

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:29 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Halo 5 has been keeping me happy for a while now.

Ditto, Halo and more Halo

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:50 (3003 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

Destiny Detox Program

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 05, 2016, 18:35 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Most definitely. Pending opportunity, probably a Week One buy.

Very, very likely, but I'll wait for the price to drop.

I'd also add Arkham Knight, which is finally approaching a price I'm willing to play, maybe another playthrough of Talos Principle and Shadow Complex Remastered.

Welp, add Elite: Dangerous to that list

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 07, 2016, 10:53 (3001 days ago) @ ZackDark

SonofMcPhisto and Chewbaccawakka forced me to buy it last night.

Seriously. They told me they would play. How could I resist that?

Confirmed, Elite: Dangerous will wreck my grades

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 08, 2016, 13:03 (3000 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

American Truck Simulator

by Funkmon @, Friday, February 05, 2016, 19:10 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The game's pretty fantastic. I put on this great HD Radio station I found called The Boulevard that just plays southeast Michigan music, genre irrelevant. I just heard The Four Tops, Eminem, Grand Funk Railroad, The Raconteurs, Kid Rock, Stevie Wonder, and Bob Seger, in that order. Other than the fact that it plays Madonna entirely too much, it's great.

http://player.radio.com/listen/station/the-boulevard

Anyway, I put on this radio station and obey traffic laws while pretending to drive a semi truck around California and Nevada. Super fun game. I've been playing it every day since its release.

American Truck Simulator

by naturl selexion, Friday, February 05, 2016, 22:00 (3003 days ago) @ Funkmon

I started trucking over 25 years ago - and quit about 10 years ago. I've driven in 47 states. This game reminds what is was like when I first started. The number of trucks on the road has grown incredibly over the last couple decades. The trucker talk thing would really get on my nerves, never could stand that. Do you have to double clutch, or float gears, or are they automatics?

Does the game have crowded truck stops? Lot lizards? Probably not I would guess, that's more a GTA thing. One thing I always liked (sarcasm) about driving out east was the desperate search for somewhere to pull over and get some sleep. It was bad when I first started, terrible when I quit. I can only imagine how it is now.

There are a few things I miss about trucking, looks like the game captures those types of things. There are of course many more things that I don't miss at all - I'll bet those aren't in the game.

American Truck Simulator

by Funkmon @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:29 (3002 days ago) @ naturl selexion

I started trucking over 25 years ago - and quit about 10 years ago. I've driven in 47 states. This game reminds what is was like when I first started. The number of trucks on the road has grown incredibly over the last couple decades. The trucker talk thing would really get on my nerves, never could stand that. Do you have to double clutch, or float gears, or are they automatics?

Well, it's clear the developers are neither truckers or American. It works as a sequential shifter and you can choose to have a clutch.

Does the game have crowded truck stops?

Nope.

Lot lizards?

Ew. No!

In regards to pulling over to sleep, the game has sleeping spots placed at reasonable distances.

There are a few things I miss about trucking, looks like the game captures those types of things. There are of course many more things that I don't miss at all - I'll bet those aren't in the game.

Well, the worst parts of the game to me is parking. But yeah, it probably only captures the good stuff. It seems like a fun job based on this game written by non truckers in another continent.

What're the states you missed?

American Truck Simulator

by naturl selexion, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 19:17 (3002 days ago) @ Funkmon

What're the states you missed?

Rhode Island. I was real close, almost made a detour just so I could "claim" it. And of course Alaska and Hawaii. I've been to Hawaii, just not as a trucker.

Showed the game to my dad last night, he used to be a trucker too. He thought it was pretty cool.

Destiny Detox Program

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, February 05, 2016, 19:50 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Fire watch should be on the list.

Fallout 4 is sucking my life away. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, February 05, 2016, 20:34 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Civilization V

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 05, 2016, 23:02 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I forgot to mention that one.

I've never played a Civ game before. I heard Civ V was a pretty good entry point into the series with some streamlining and a little more dumbed down for us plebes. I bought it during the Steam winter sale and played it for like maybe thirty minutes. It didn't do anything for me, but it always sounds like such an interesting game, so I do plan on jumping in again soon and trying to learn it.

"Just one more turn" will the end of you

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 05, 2016, 23:14 (3003 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Maybe.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 05, 2016, 23:17 (3003 days ago) @ ZackDark

Like I said, I only played for thirty minutes, but I wasn't in the right mindset. Nothing the game was trying to teach me was really connecting in any way; I had no idea what I was doing or what I was even supposed to be doing, much less how to actually do it.

Maybe.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, February 08, 2016, 12:16 (3000 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Like I said, I only played for thirty minutes, but I wasn't in the right mindset. Nothing the game was trying to teach me was really connecting in any way; I had no idea what I was doing or what I was even supposed to be doing, much less how to actually do it.

It can definitely be confusing in some areas. Although I've been play Civ games since the second one so I'm kinda initiated into the series. I personally think that Civ V is the best so far.

But you are right, you really do have to be in the mindset for it. I usually play it when I just need a laid back time to chill. But mind you the "just one more turn" will destroy your afternoon, or sleep :-)

Destiny Detox Program - Cold Turkey

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 00:42 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sorry, I was forced to go cold turkey already by circumstances. Absolutely nothing. >sigh< Another two, probably three weeks before i can go home to my Xbox...

Destiny Detox Program

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 00:56 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm playing some Rainbow 6 Seige, while dabbling in Rebel Galaxy, The Witness, and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I keep meaning to go back to and finish Rise of the Tomb Raider and AC Syndicate, too.

I don't remember what you can do in SC:BL

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 22:07 (3002 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm playing some Rainbow 6 Siege,

I have this now. We should shoot things.

Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Like, on 360? I still have this. We should throw cans at things?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 22:43 (3002 days ago) @ Vortech

Sticky shockers, sleeping gas, noisemakers, sticky cameras(that can deploy sleeping gas), a drone with a camera that can shoot sticky shockers... and that's before you get to the stuff that isn't non-lethal.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 07, 2016, 00:56 (3002 days ago) @ Vortech

Totally. All I've tried so far is the terrorist hunt mode, but I'm enjoying it!

Splinter Cell Blacklist.

I picked it up on steam to play on my trip a couple weeks ago. But I do still have it on 360... I think. All that stuff is in my closet somewhere. Love that game, though. Spies vs Merc is one of my all-time favorite multiplayer games :)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 07, 2016, 16:43 (3001 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Totally. All I've tried so far is the terrorist hunt mode, but I'm enjoying it!

I tried to get on last night but the update took so long you had stopped playing. Also I can't figure out how to see a list of people to invite but maybe after i do the tutorials.

Splinter Cell Blacklist.

I picked it up on steam to play on my trip a couple weeks ago. But I do still have it on 360... I think. All that stuff is in my closet somewhere. Love that game, though. Spies vs Merc is one of my all-time favorite multiplayer games :)

I played a lot of the multi on earlier splinter cells but not blacklist for some reason.

Destiny Detox Program

by Funkmon @, Sunday, February 07, 2016, 04:57 (3001 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I keep meaning to go back to and finish Rise of the Tomb Raider and AC Syndicate, too.

Those were legitimately the best games from last year.

Undertale and divinity original sin

by electricpirate @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:32 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

also still playing destiny, learning to fusion rifle in the crucible is pretty fun.

Divinity is the best "real" RPG I've played in years.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:39 (3002 days ago) @ electricpirate

By real I mean actually stat based, not just an action game with slight RPG elements like most "RPGs" are anymore.

I think I like those RPGs, but am too dumb to handle them.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:46 (3002 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Is there a good RPG like Divinity, but simple?

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 03:12 (3002 days ago) @ Funkmon

I can't pretend to be an expert, I always feel like I'm missing important things in those games, and that anyone who actually knew anything would think I was playing like an absolute dumbass. That said, in my experience, all of those RPGs are just sort of like that. You just have to be willing to work through it and figure things out and be willing to experiment with builds.

If you can deal with the age, you could go all the way back to Baldur's Gate or maybe Fallout. I'm honestly not sure what a good jumping in point is for that style of game, but I'm not sure Divinity is the best one. It gives you absolutely nothing. It has a short optional tutorial dungeon which does a good job of teaching basic combat mechanics, but it's up to you to figure out what skills you might want or need and how those skills will really affect combat.

I've heard Pillars of Eternity does a pretty good job of easing in new players, but I haven't played it, so I can't vouch for that.

If you're really interested, there are always plenty of build guides for whatever game you might play which can help you understand how all the stats, attributes, skills, etc interact with each other, and then you can experiment from there. That's typically what I do when I pick up a new game in that genre. There will often be folks pointing out what a good beginner build is to get acquainted with the mechanics.

Divinity is the simple option.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 03:19 (3002 days ago) @ Funkmon

Divinity pretty much is the simple option for a "real" RPG. I'd say it's easier to play than Pillars of Eternity, plus it has cross-platform co-op, so others can make up for the things you don't know. You basically get to play one or more characters in another person's party.

Further down the scale towards ARPG you've got Torchlight I & II and Diablo 3.

by electricpirate @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 16:18 (3002 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think Planescape Torment is a reallly interesting option for this. It's systems are still fairly complex, but you really don't *need* them, as the focus is much more around Dialogue choices and investigation. As far as stats and such, really just focus on Wisdom and Intelligence, and the combat is pretty easy for most of the game.

Divinity is the best "real" RPG I've played in years.

by electricpirate @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:47 (3002 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yea I heard great things . I also want to grab pillars of eternity, wasteland 2 and shadow run. The crpg is back!

Helldivers

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:34 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you're man enough.

Destiny Detox Program

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 01:53 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not much, really. Mass Effect: Rommie in the latter part of the year and maybe something else if one of a few games comes out for free on Xbox live or goes on heavy heavy sale. Right now, it's kinda looking like a down year for gaming for me, but then 2015 was unusually strong maybe?

PSA: Pyschonauts is $0.99 on Steam right now.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 21:21 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I asked if it was worth playing a few weeks ago. For a dollar, I'll give it a shot.

A bargain at 50 times the price.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 22:07 (3002 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Crap. I'm actually going to buy a game on steam.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, February 07, 2016, 04:58 (3001 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Airplanes

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 21:42 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Designing, building, flying (mostly building lately; wind has been uncooperative).

I've got 8 flyable in my hanger, and two more on the bench in progress.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm referring to the RC variety. ;)

Destiny Detox Program

by Kahzgul, Sunday, February 07, 2016, 19:37 (3001 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Rise of the Tomb Raider is amazing. Halfway through and astounded at just how much game there is here.

Hand of Fate... Game of the Year candidate IMO. Totally new mechanics I've never seen before, addictive gameplay loop, really polished. Free on Xbone right now.

Black Ops 3 - I love zombies mode. I honestly wish they'd release a stand alone game of just this sort of puzzle FPS game.

And then there's the "games I own and should probably finish" category:

- Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. I'm at 92%. Can't believe I haven't finished this yet.
- The Last of Us. Again, 75% of the way through. I want to finish the story but the combat has taken a turn to the annoyingly challenging in the area I'm in now which has sapped my will to play.
- Broken Age. Slowly going through this with my kid (one of the few games I can play while he watches).
- Hearthstone. Does this count? Fun game, anyway. I feel bad for new players though - the barrier to entry is way too high, even with the new "season" changes.
- Dying Light. How have I not completed this one yet? I keep thinking I'm finishing the final mission only to find there's more. Who knew there was an entire second city???
-Avernum 3. I blazed through 1 and 2, but 3 isn't holding my attention as well. Kind of less directed and urgent feeling, I think. Then there's 4, 5, and 6 to finish. Dang.

Well before I finish all of those, these games will come out:
- The Division. I know this forum has been down on it, but my RL friends thought it was really fun.
- No Man's Sky. I don't know how this game could possibly live up to the hype, but I'll probably play it anyway.

XCOM 2

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, February 08, 2016, 12:20 (3000 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This just came out and I've been playing it for the last 2 days. Oh My Gosh I love it. I played the other XCom's on my iPad, so now that I'm playing it on the computer it's so much prettier.

Basically, if you love tactical squad based games you will love XCOM. It's pretty, has an okay story and is very challenging. It's much more immersive than the last XCOM and they have taken what was good in the last one and just added a shit more content. So it's more of the same, but it's a TON more of the same. So far I've played like 6 hours of it and I've only seen 2 of the same enemies and they are only half the same.

TL;DR
If you loved the last XCOM or you just love tactical squad based games, I would pick it up because it's amaze balls.

The one game that I've been anticipating for months...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 08, 2016, 15:16 (3000 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What's on your upcoming Destiny Detox program? (Game wise)

Sammy and I are eagerly awaiting Crimson Days, since we play really well as a team (though you couldn't tell if you were in the same party with us).

We've also been playing Helldivers with a bunch of folks, and Star Wars Battlefront, which we love (and currently have a 100% win rate in Multiplayer).

But the one game that we've been waiting and waiting for is Dying Light: The Following:

Really hoping some of our friends will pick that up at some point.

no ship that size has a cloak

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, February 08, 2016, 15:27 (3000 days ago) @ Korny

Are you playing battlefront on Xbox, or am I just not seeing you when you are on?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread