So uh, Crimson Doubles (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, February 09, 2016, 17:38 (2971 days ago)

Between the weird delay in registering anything and the snipe fest I just experienced, I'm just done with Destiny PvP for the near future.

I popped over to Halo 5 and it felt super silky smooth and like a superbly balanced competitive experience.

On a brighter note: Wins counts towards doubles grimoire.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, February 09, 2016, 18:23 (2970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

What About Elimination Points?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 04:37 (2970 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

I like it! No lag problems so far...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 02:12 (2970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Between the weird delay in registering anything and the snipe fest I just experienced, I'm just done with Destiny PvP for the near future.

I popped over to Halo 5 and it felt super silky smooth and like a superbly balanced competitive experience.

Just played 4 or 5 games with Destroyoboy... didn't experience any of the lag issues that were troubling you. And since players spawn without special ammo, we barely saw any sniper fire. Most rounds were over before the special ammo had even spawned.

Definitely looking forward to playing some more :)

I like it! No lag problems so far...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 02:48 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just played 4 or 5 games with Destroyoboy... didn't experience any of the lag issues that were troubling you. And since players spawn without special ammo, we barely saw any sniper fire. Most rounds were over before the special ammo had even spawned.

Definitely looking forward to playing some more :)

We've had some fine games, lag-wise, and some ridiculous ones. We just played one where one of the two opponents was green-bar the entire game, but I could not do any damage. At all. Didn't matter what I shot/hit/grenaded him with.

About some special ammo

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 05:09 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

...and since players spawn without special ammo, we barely saw any sniper fire. Most rounds were over before the special ammo had even spawned.

Start with Ice Breaker. Getting a bullet every 6-7 seconds is pretty game breaking for this playlist I believe. After the first round, switch to whatever sniper or shotgun you want during the time between rounds and you'll pretty much be full on special the rest of the game. 6 rounds of ice breaker gave me 18 rounds on my 1kys.

That's... like... Crazy broken.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 13:21 (2970 days ago) @ unoudid

...and since players spawn without special ammo, we barely saw any sniper fire. Most rounds were over before the special ammo had even spawned.

Start with Ice Breaker. Getting a bullet every 6-7 seconds is pretty game breaking for this playlist I believe. After the first round, switch to whatever sniper or shotgun you want during the time between rounds and you'll pretty much be full on special the rest of the game. 6 rounds of ice breaker gave me 18 rounds on my 1kys.

So I knew people could use Icebreaker or Invective to generate ammo, then switch weapons. But I thought the ammo conversion was 1-to-1.
Honestly, I'd be fine with that. But 6 Icebreaker rounds = 18 1kys rounds? How does stuff like this ship?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 13:44 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So I knew people could use Icebreaker or Invective to generate ammo, then switch weapons. But I thought the ammo conversion was 1-to-1.
Honestly, I'd be fine with that. But 6 Icebreaker rounds = 18 1kys rounds? How does stuff like this ship?

I'm assuming it's a percentage thing. Six Icebreaker rounds is 100% capacity for that weapon, so when you switch between rounds, you get a full stack of ammo for whatever weapon you switched to.

Icebreaker definitely breaks it a bit, but it makes sense if you're doing something like switching from a sniper to a sidearm. Not sure how they could patch that specifically for Icebreaker, though.

-Disciple

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 14:07 (2970 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'm assuming it's a percentage thing. Six Icebreaker rounds is 100% capacity for that weapon, so when you switch between rounds, you get a full stack of ammo for whatever weapon you switched to.

Icebreaker definitely breaks it a bit, but it makes sense if you're doing something like switching from a sniper to a sidearm. Not sure how they could patch that specifically for Icebreaker, though.

-Disciple

I'm sure this would be controversial, but I feel like you just shouldn't be able to swap special weapons without losing all your special ammo.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 14:12 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Unfortunately I think that would probably apply to PvE also if they added that? I was thinking in the past we had this happen and then they fixed it to the current state.

by Durandal, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 14:22 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Had a few matches last night where people pulled this, but for the most part it was primary heavy for the first round. Second round snipers and shotguns returned. I also saw a few NLBs and URs early on.

It seemed much more laid back then trials, since you don't need to win. I don't know why they don't wipe special ammo every round.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 14:29 (2970 days ago) @ Durandal

It seemed much more laid back then trials, since you don't need to win. I don't know why they don't wipe special ammo every round.

Yeah, it seems like that would balance it out. Once we lost a first round, it was obvious we were in for some hurt. If managed to grab special, things balanced out a bit, but it did turn into a lot of sniping, which is just not that interesting to me.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 14:44 (2970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, it seems like that would balance it out. Once we lost a first round, it was obvious we were in for some hurt. If managed to grab special, things balanced out a bit, but it did turn into a lot of sniping, which is just not that interesting to me.

Maybe it's because I play so aggressively, but in the 2+ hours I spent playing Crimson Doubles last night the majority of rounds were over before the special ammo had dropped. Specials really were a non-issue for most of the matches.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 00:58 (2969 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

-Disciple

I'm sure this would be controversial, but I feel like you just shouldn't be able to swap special weapons without losing all your special ammo.

I thought you lost half of it. Is that not the way it works anymore?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:00 (2969 days ago) @ narcogen

i dont think you lose any while dead/between rounds

^

by Funkmon @, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:42 (2969 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Or run a sidearm

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 15:09 (2970 days ago) @ unoudid

I was enjoying running MIDA with a sidearm for a while with you last night and had a fresh batch of ammo at the start of every round.

About some special ammo

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 17:03 (2970 days ago) @ unoudid

Haven't played yet, are teams pretty well sticking together? If so, you could start with Ice Breaker, snipe someone at range, and have your buddy on mop up duty with thorn/messenger/mida

Underwhelming, to be sure.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 08:29 (2970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So the live team, since SRL, has basically made a fancy skin for the tower that looks like a 9 year old girl's fantasy come true, 2 shaders, and emblem, and... not much else. I guess there are new emotes to pay for. This nonsense about 320 ghosts is also lame. I got a 298 ghost (I don't need a 320, but it was supposed to be the big draw here as far as rewards go). Maybe I misread and it was only a "chance" at a 320 ghost? I'm assuming that was it.

Lastly, the PvP change to special ammo is not good and does not change very much. The very first round features icebreaker, invective, or sidearms, and ever round after that is exactly like it was before the patch.

We did see a healthy mix of weapons and enemies, and faced a couple of very good opponents... and two teams clearly cheating with lag-switching... why on earth isn't the damage referee part of the elimination mode where it matters so much more than control???

And there's also no new quests at rollover, so after tonight's run through literally all of the content in just a few hours, I'm probably going to be playing helldivers or Hand of Fate for the rest of the week. I guess it was an interesting diversion, but this isn't a game mode I'm going to be seeking out in the future.

I would be fine with IB and SRL alternating months

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 12:44 (2970 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Just keep building SRL maps, and release a new one every other time. Throw in some holiday-themed drops into IB and SRL. How about a chocolate sparrow? 320 helmet with bunny ears?

Jan - IB
Feb - SRL
Mar - IB
etc
etc

Anything with SRL would be fine by me.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:21 (2969 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 13:27 (2970 days ago) @ Kahzgul

We did see a healthy mix of weapons and enemies, and faced a couple of very good opponents... and two teams clearly cheating with lag-switching... why on earth isn't the damage referee part of the elimination mode where it matters so much more than control???

I suspect damage referee requires a majority to agree, but when2/4 are lag switching, that makes it impossible.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:24 (2969 days ago) @ dogcow

I suspect damage referee requires a majority to agree, but when2/4 are lag switching, that makes it impossible.

It is possible that they set it up that way, but seems like a poor implementation. I'd have pushed for a design where all non-lagging systems agree and the lagging systems don't get a vote. Or, ideally, the one system with the best connection becomes the damage tzar and dictates to everyone else when and if they hit.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 15:07 (2970 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So the live team, since SRL, has basically made a fancy skin for the tower that looks like a 9 year old girl's fantasy come true, 2 shaders, and emblem, and... not much else. I guess there are new emotes to pay for. This nonsense about 320 ghosts is also lame. I got a 298 ghost (I don't need a 320, but it was supposed to be the big draw here as far as rewards go). Maybe I misread and it was only a "chance" at a 320 ghost? I'm assuming that was it.

In terms of Crimson Doubles as a special "event", I have to agree with you. This really isn't the kind of content I was hoping for from the live team. I've heard whispers floating around that the live team is a lot smaller than most players assume it is (I keep hearing things like "there are 8 people at Bungie currently working on supporting Destiny year 2", not including the engineers running the servers and stuff like that). I would never put too much weight into rumors like that, but the content we've seen out of the live team does lead me to believe it is a very small team. Whatever the case, I feel like the whole "microtransactions will pay for free content" argument is working out to be a far better deal for Bungie than it is for the player base :-/

Lastly, the PvP change to special ammo is not good and does not change very much. The very first round features icebreaker, invective, or sidearms, and ever round after that is exactly like it was before the patch.

So far, specials have not been an issue for me at all. I'd guess it's a mix of luck and my playstyle. I play very aggressively, which means most rounds are over before the special ammo boxes have spawned. I ran into 1 or 2 Ice Breakers and 1 Invective last night, no sidearms. The gametype has been 99% primary-weapon dominated so far, which I quite enjoy.

Overall, our match quality was quite good last night. 1 or 2 laggy games, but solid for the most part. Didn't run into any obvious lag switchers.

And there's also no new quests at rollover, so after tonight's run through literally all of the content in just a few hours, I'm probably going to be playing helldivers or Hand of Fate for the rest of the week. I guess it was an interesting diversion, but this isn't a game mode I'm going to be seeking out in the future.

I really enjoy the gametype, I just think artificially hyping it up by making it a "special event" is misguided. None of the dog-and-pony show around it makes it any more enjoyable or fun. I would have been happy with a doubles elimination playlist being added to the mix. No need for the other stuff along with it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 15:13 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've heard whispers floating around that the live team is a lot smaller than most players assume it is (I keep hearing things like "there are 8 people at Bungie currently working on supporting Destiny year 2", not including the engineers running the servers and stuff like that). I would never put too much weight into rumors like that, but the content we've seen out of the live team does lead me to believe it is a very small team. Whatever the case, I feel like the whole "microtransactions will pay for free content" argument is working out to be a far better deal for Bungie than it is for the player base :-/

Yeah from what I've heard they were a very small team, and they hired a bunch of people, but it's going to take a significant amount of time for those people to get up to speed on everything to make content for an event.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:31 (2969 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In terms of Crimson Doubles as a special "event", I have to agree with you. This really isn't the kind of content I was hoping for from the live team. I've heard whispers floating around that the live team is a lot smaller than most players assume it is (I keep hearing things like "there are 8 people at Bungie currently working on supporting Destiny year 2", not including the engineers running the servers and stuff like that). I would never put too much weight into rumors like that, but the content we've seen out of the live team does lead me to believe it is a very small team. Whatever the case, I feel like the whole "microtransactions will pay for free content" argument is working out to be a far better deal for Bungie than it is for the player base :-/

So far, specials have not been an issue for me at all. I'd guess it's a mix of luck and my playstyle. I play very aggressively, which means most rounds are over before the special ammo boxes have spawned. I ran into 1 or 2 Ice Breakers and 1 Invective last night, no sidearms. The gametype has been 99% primary-weapon dominated so far, which I quite enjoy.

Man, your games were the opposite of ours. At least three of our games had every match run to near the end of time, if not end by point capture. One team we played on Asylum actually turtled in their spawn until they got the special, then ran to the special in the water downstairs, and then to our spawn to get all three specials the first match. It was smart, and we were dumb not to realize what they were doing.

Overall, our match quality was quite good last night. 1 or 2 laggy games, but solid for the most part. Didn't run into any obvious lag switchers.

Other than the two teams of lag switchers we had no noticeable lag or latency. The lag-switchers though... UGH. I emptied my Invective into a guy that would have won us the match only to have him teleport behind me and instantly double-melee me AND my teammate to death. That was the worst, but the others were pretty atrocious too.

I really enjoy the gametype, I just think artificially hyping it up by making it a "special event" is misguided. None of the dog-and-pony show around it makes it any more enjoyable or fun. I would have been happy with a doubles elimination playlist being added to the mix. No need for the other stuff along with it.

I don't mind the dog and pony show at all, but if putting roses all over the tower is preventing Bungie from fixing art bugs (Birth of History ffs) or adding new maps, I'm against it. Frankly, I was really surprised and disappointed at how short and easy the quest was (one step, basically). Even the Red Bull quest is more involved. This would have been the perfect opportunity to have people 2-man a strike or something.

So uh, Crimson Doubles

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 15:00 (2970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I tried it and felt that old familiar stress, and realized that when I last felt that was the time I tried Trials. Some call it adrenaline and like it. Not sure it's for me.

reddit survey on ghost drop rates

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 17:11 (2970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/452mge/crimson_doubles_drop_rate_survey_and_results/

TLDR:

3.8% chance of getting ANY ghost
0.18% chance of getting a 320 ghost

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 17:20 (2970 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/452mge/crimson_doubles_drop_rate_survey_and_results/

TLDR:

3.8% chance of getting ANY ghost
0.18% chance of getting a 320 ghost

Not to be a negative nancy, and to at the risk of stirring the pot around these parts, this is just silly. What does Bungie think they are gaining by making these drops so rare? TTK launched 5 months ago, there is no new PvE content in sight... why not make it rain loot once in a while? "Getting 320 gear isn't important", people say. Well if that's the case then why not dish it out for everyone so they can at least feel a tiny bit of excitement over new gear drops?

I'm all for the "play because you enjoy the activity, not for the drops" argument. It really is the best way to approach things. But Bungie made Destiny as a loot game. Loot drops are part of the experience. Why not make them fun instead of frustrating?

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 17:26 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm all for the "play because you enjoy the activity, not for the drops" argument. It really is the best way to approach things. But Bungie made Destiny as a loot game. Loot drops are part of the experience. Why not make them fun instead of frustrating?

Agreed on all counts. There isn't enough variety in Destiny's loot. It feels like not getting good loot holds you back. If it was easy to hit max level and then loot drops revolved around getting a good roll for something or getting that specific damage type reduction on armor, or whatever it is you're looking for for a particular build, I feel like it would be much better.

Get players to max level quickly, then allow loot variety to motivate the chasing of loot. Seems like every other loot-based game understand this. Why doesn't Bungie?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 17:38 (2970 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And how do you do that? With randomness you're always going to frustrate someone. Hawkmoon.

The only way to do what you are proposing is to give players definite paths to all weapons, but also allow them to randomly acquire them.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 17:51 (2969 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And how do you do that? With randomness you're always going to frustrate someone. Hawkmoon.

The only way to do what you are proposing is to give players definite paths to all weapons, but also allow them to randomly acquire them.

Well in this specific case (Crimson Doubles) how about "Finish the quest, get a 320 Ghost". Takes a few hours. Not unsubstantial. But also not overwhelming and frustrating. Put in a few hours with a friend, get a 320 ghost. Sounds fine to me :-/

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 18:40 (2969 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Avateur @, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 00:31 (2969 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Because that is fine. But that would require Bungie to respect you as a player and your time. Good luck with that one.

That's exactly what I thought the event was going to be.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:32 (2969 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So disappointed, and I didn't even need a 320 ghost.

It's for Valentine's, so why would Bungie show any love?

by Avateur @, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:56 (2969 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Hahaha, that was brutal. Someone call the burn ward.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 07:06 (2969 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

So uh, Crimson Doubles

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 23:19 (2969 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Me and Zero played 7-8 games of this last night. The loss of a third player in the Elimination gametype hurts it when compared to Trials. It's missing the dynamic strategy of splitting into 2 and 1 to create flanking opportunities. If you try to do that in this gametype, it creates a lot more risk since you are both alone. That issue seemed to result in a lot of stalemate pot-shot battles, which gets frustrating when snipers are involved, since you can barely poke out at all without fear of instant death, regardless of whether you get the first shot. The enrage buff didn't seem to play much of a factor in the games I was in. Special ammo seemed plentiful in evenly matched games due to the stalemate dynamic, and with all the countermeasures people have discovered (I myself was running Invective, but that has been my preference for quite a while now).

It's still Destiny PvP, so it was still fun, but I'd certainly rather play Trials or normal Control. We'll see how Trials goes with the special ammo reduction, but I bet it will play out mostly the same in even matches.

So uh, Crimson Doubles

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 15:00 (2969 days ago) @ squidnh3

It's missing the dynamic strategy of splitting into 2 and 1 to create flanking opportunities. If you try to do that in this gametype, it creates a lot more risk since you are both alone.

I don't know. I kind of liked how risky separating was. When BeardFade and I were playing last night we definitely felt the risk when separating would get one of us killed, but when you separate and it works, it feels really good. I did pull one of my favorite moves on Asylum. At the beginning of the match, I used the Titan skate to quickly move up behind the enemy team while BeardFade went through the middle like normal, we wiped them out very quickly as a result. Just don't try it twice in a row.

I kind of think of it as Trials lite since light level doesn't matter. You still have to strategize and working with your partner is key. Plus you get the adrenaline rush of trying to survive when you are the last man standing.

So uh, Crimson Doubles

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 15:47 (2969 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It's missing the dynamic strategy of splitting into 2 and 1 to create flanking opportunities. If you try to do that in this gametype, it creates a lot more risk since you are both alone.

I don't know. I kind of liked how risky separating was. When BeardFade and I were playing last night we definitely felt the risk when separating would get one of us killed, but when you separate and it works, it feels really good. I did pull one of my favorite moves on Asylum. At the beginning of the match, I used the Titan skate to quickly move up behind the enemy team while BeardFade went through the middle like normal, we wiped them out very quickly as a result. Just don't try it twice in a row.

I kind of think of it as Trials lite since light level doesn't matter. You still have to strategize and working with your partner is key. Plus you get the adrenaline rush of trying to survive when you are the last man standing.

Yeah, I wouldn't say doubles is necessarily any less strategic than Trials. A bit less intricate because of fewer moving parts, but still plenty of room for coordination and teamwork. It does put more direct pressure on each individual player than most other modes (less room to be "carried" by teammates). Although in some ways, it is easier for a single player to really dominate the match if they outclass both opponents. Slycrel and I played a game last night where I finished with 11 kills and 2 deaths. So there is more room for a single player to have a really good game and control the flow of the entire match.

Overall, I really like the unique dynamic to the 2v2 elimination game mode.

So uh, Crimson Doubles

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 16:41 (2969 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

One of the things I find easier in doubles is the ability to get 2 on 1 situations when one of the opponents gets out of position. If I recognized a flank, I would call for us to focus on one target and beat them to the spot.

On the flipside, I found flanking much easier in 2v2 than 3v3.

Overall, I'm finding doubles easier than Trials. I think the big difference is 2v1 is a much stronger position than 3v2. It's much easier to prevent your opponent from getting a resurrection in this format.

So uh, Crimson Doubles

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 16:58 (2969 days ago) @ BeardFade

One of the things I find easier in doubles is the ability to get 2 on 1 situations when one of the opponents gets out of position. If I recognized a flank, I would call for us to focus on one target and beat them to the spot.

On the flipside, I found flanking much easier in 2v2 than 3v3.

Overall, I'm finding doubles easier than Trials. I think the big difference is 2v1 is a much stronger position than 3v2. It's much easier to prevent your opponent from getting a resurrection in this format.

That is often true, but on the other hand I've had plenty of 2v1 situations that get suddenly turned around thanks to a smart play by the lone wolf. In Trials, if one team gets a single kill they can often form up around the orb and play the waiting game. In doubles, it isn't quite so easy. All it takes is a good grenade or snipe or a super and the tide completely changes. There's something a bit more volatile and un-predictable about the 2v2 format that I really enjoy. I find Trials a bit more methodical.

What are people's thoughts on Self-Rez Warlocks in CDs?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 17:30 (2969 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've noticed that self-rez warlocks seem to be at an even greater advantage now in the 2v2 elimination gametype. I think it was Beardfade and I playing a few nights ago where we would have won easily had it not been for the ability to self-rez on the other team. We clearly out played them, but because they could self-rez we ended up losing battles that should have been over already.

In Trials it's easy to leave on person on the self-rez warlock and let your other two teammates go after the others. In 2v2, this becomes much harder since the other person gets such a massive buff in recovery making 1v1 battles swing in favor of the person with the buff.

Anyway, how do others feel about this?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 17:53 (2968 days ago) @ unoudid

I hadn't thought about it when it happened to us last night, but you are right. If the self-res warlock is alone they get the enraged buff plus their self res buff. No wonder they could easily take us out...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 18:02 (2968 days ago) @ unoudid

I've noticed that self-rez warlocks seem to be at an even greater advantage now in the 2v2 elimination gametype. I think it was Beardfade and I playing a few nights ago where we would have won easily had it not been for the ability to self-rez on the other team. We clearly out played them, but because they could self-rez we ended up losing battles that should have been over already.

In Trials it's easy to leave on person on the self-rez warlock and let your other two teammates go after the others. In 2v2, this becomes much harder since the other person gets such a massive buff in recovery making 1v1 battles swing in favor of the person with the buff.

Anyway, how do others feel about this?

Not a massive issue. Sure, It takes about four melees to bring one down, but Rezzed sunsingers are still outnumbered (especially if you're watching the orb, which is easy to do since their partner can only come from one direction, and can't take you by surprise. I've only run a self-rez Warlock, and it's failed me just as often as it's given me an advantage, so it's about even.

The more frustrating match was one last night where we ran into two Hammer Titans with Armamentarium and Fusion Grenades. Those douches deserved to lose. >:)

But yeh, every Super's overpowered Nature is extra painful when it's just two of you going up against them (especially Gunslingers).

Handy when a match ends in a draw - BOOM, auto win

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 18:20 (2968 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Handy when a match ends in a draw - BOOM, auto win

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 18:45 (2968 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Had a match with Black Tiger last night that went into overtime. We were on Bannerfall, and it was 1v2 with black tiger down in the inside heavy courtyard. I shadowshot the warlock in the zone just after I revived Tiger, he Rez' I shadowshot #2 which took away his super and then hit him again with #3 just after he finished capping the zone. Man, that was frustrating.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 18:24 (2968 days ago) @ unoudid

Also, firebolt grenades are made for this. There were a few times last night when it was 2v1 against me, and i would firebolt both of them, and they would high tail it out of there, and i would get the revive. I guess the fear of burning with me having the buff, and the possibility of self-rez made them think twice about pushing.

I agree with you

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 18:46 (2968 days ago) @ unoudid

I played on my level 35 (now level 37) warlock last night as was just laying waste to people with minimal effort. Thorn, Praedith's Revenge, and the MG-18A Harm's Way, combined with a max armor/max recovery build and dear god was it a horror show. I got my first hate mail in months and beat a pair of modern-day lighthousers with my buddy. Neither of us are that good. After maining a hunter all the time, playing sunsinger felt like cheating. It's OP as F, especially in elimination modes.

Firebolt Grenades, too.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 20:22 (2968 days ago) @ unoudid

The fact that a armor-maxed hunter burns to death from those things is so annoying. There's nothing I can do if I get hit with one, I just try and find a good spot to die in that can be covered and res'd.

On an unrelated note.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 20:23 (2968 days ago) @ BeardFade

BlackTig3r and I were doing really well last night in CDs, and made me think that the three of use should give Trials a try sometime and see how we do.

I'm game!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 20:45 (2968 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

I'm in

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 20:57 (2968 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread