Farming Crimson Doubles Loot... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:13 (2991 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:16

For the Codys who are only in it for the loot, as opposed to the fun challenge of 2v2 elimination, an exploit to Crimson Doubles has already been popularized (I did pose the question last night about folks getting drops on a loss, assuming that the logical, non-exploitable answer would be "no"... Turns out someone at Bungie didn't think that a minimal drop rate on a loss would be ideal).

Farming Crimson Doubles Loot...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:20 (2991 days ago) @ Korny

For the Codys who are only in it for the loot, as opposed to the fun challenge of 2v2 elimination,

Are you sure? I'm not in it at all. Being in for the fun is exactly why I'm not in.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:34 (2991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For the Codys who are only in it for the loot, as opposed to the fun challenge of 2v2 elimination,

Are you sure? I'm not in it at all. Being in for the fun is exactly why I'm not in.

Sure you're not in it because you'd look like a fool yet again for coming back in with your tail between your legs like you did last time? ;)

You're Insufferable.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:35 (2991 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:43 (2991 days ago) @ Korny

Sure you're not in it because you'd look like a fool yet again for coming back in with your tail between your legs like you did last time? ;)

I didn't feel like a fool at all.

But back on topic, this must be prevalent given that there is an article about it. And yeah, it's caused by people valuing loot over the experience. If you only give it out for winners, then bad players don't get the ghost and people complain. If you give it out for anyone, then playing doesn't matter does it?

The solution given the situation is a skill based matching algorithm for the playlist, with rewards only going to the winners.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:48 (2991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But back on topic, this must be prevalent given that there is an article about it. And yeah, it's caused by people valuing loot over the experience. If you only give it out for winners, then bad players don't get the ghost and people complain. If you give it out for anyone, then playing doesn't matter does it?

Trials sort of works like this, as losing only gets you Passage coins (which does provide you with some incentive to lose if you're short on them and want to restock, which is a whole 'nother can of worms). Like I said, a minimal (but existing) chance of loot would have remedied this.

This problem is the whole "suicide in Trials for the Gold package" issue all over again, but on a more lucrative scale.
Surely somebody should have foreseen this, but alas...

I think the fact that it has an article will exacerbate the problem more than it brought it to light, but it's all the same in the end.

The solution given the situation is a skill based matching algorithm for the playlist, with rewards only going to the winners.

Sure might be the quick solution, if it's addressed at all (given that it's a one-week event).

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:55 (2991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or, as I suggested, just give it out as a guaranteed drop to anyone who completes the quest line. Take the random (0.18%) chance out of it. People who play well and win often will complete the quest faster than those who lose, but everyone can still get it in a reasonably manageable time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 21:31 (2991 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Or, as I suggested, just give it out as a guaranteed drop to anyone who completes the quest line. Take the random (0.18%) chance out of it. People who play well and win often will complete the quest faster than those who lose, but everyone can still get it in a reasonably manageable time.

Does the quest line require wins, or games played? If it's games played, how does that do anything to keep people from throwing games?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 21:46 (2991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Does the quest line require wins, or games played? If it's games played, how does that do anything to keep people from throwing games?

It requires "points". 1 win = 3 points, 1 loss = 1 point. So winning lets you complete the quest faster, which is the incentive to actually try. And even if you have some players intentionally losing their way to completion, at least they're done after 25 games as opposed to having people throw dozens of games all week long in the hope of random drops.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:45 (2991 days ago) @ Korny

I enjoy giving Cody a hard time as much as anyone (;p) but I'm pretty sure this is the exact opposite of what Cody has always argued. To me, Cody's argument has always been that designing random loot drops and RPG progressions into the game gets in the way of the pure fun of an activity.

I Need A Partner!!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:50 (2991 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 21:13 (2991 days ago) @ Korny

What does it even drop? Any 310+ loot other than the ghost shells?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread