Why are people grinding anyway? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 12, 2016, 20:10 (3003 days ago)

I understand why people would grind to get to 30 or 32 or 34 since those had measurable and significant impacts. But 320? That was useless before, and now it's even more useless because of the spring event that raises the light cap. Just wait a bit, play that, and hit 320 easy peasy.

The one benefit to this new light system was the ability for me to say enough is enough, 318 is fine, and to just chill until new stuff comes out. It was actually very encouraging that you could do the Heroic Kings fall without being max level.

Stop suiciding for that ghost and just wait 2 months.

Why are people grinding anyway?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, February 12, 2016, 20:13 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The one benefit to this new light system was the ability for me to say enough is enough, 318 is fine, and to just chill until new stuff comes out. It was actually very encouraging that you could do the Heroic Kings fall without being max level.

No, 317 is fine as that's what my Titan is. :) Sometime after passing 315 I stopped striving for higher level gear. Then I started playing w/ my brother-in-law at level 1.

Yeah, I stopped after realizing how meaningless it was.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 12, 2016, 20:15 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The only reason I do challenge modes is so I can get infusion fuel, so I can have a choice of different gear while playing high-level stuff.

+1 infusion fuel.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, February 12, 2016, 20:48 (3003 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

wait. should i play as bungie intended, or how cody intended

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, February 12, 2016, 20:15 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

or however in the eff i want?

yes, the grind sucks. but so does your constant b*tching

Well that escalated quickly.

by rellekh, PNW, Friday, February 12, 2016, 20:45 (3003 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

but so does your constant b*tching

[image]

I get that Cody does complain a lot. But...I read this as an encouragement, not so much a bitch session. *shrug*

Well that escalated quickly.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:09 (3003 days ago) @ rellekh

I get that Cody does complain a lot. But...I read this as an encouragement, not so much a bitch session. *shrug*

^This^

I thought what Cody was saying pretty much translated as "get to whatever level works for you and then don't worry about it anymore." Seems reasonable to me.

Personally, my characters are all somewhere between 297 and 308 depending on the gear, and I'm perfectly fine. I've got no real interest in KF Hard Mode and I can do everything else OK.

I do still put SOME effort into leveling items up, just because I'd like to be able to equip any of my gear and be 300 or above. But that effort consists entirely of using 3oC while running stuff I enjoy anyway, and using the 310 exotics to infuse things (or replace lower-light versions of themselves).

"play" != grind

by petetheduck, Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:13 (3003 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

wait. should i play as bungie intended, or how cody intended

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:16 (3003 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

or however in the eff i want?

yes, the grind sucks. but so does your constant b*tching

a) Didn't sound like bitching to me

b) You say yourself that you agree with his point

c) I don't think Cody is telling anyone how to play... I think he is commenting on the trend many of us have seen, which is that some players spend time doing activities they don't want to do just to chase 320 gear.

C isn't a trend.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:36 (3003 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

People have been running content that they 'don't enjoy' for items that they don't need since the game released.

Sorry, misread. I need a Snickers

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:31 (3003 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

I was THIS CLOSE to asking if you needed a Snickers lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 12, 2016, 23:20 (3003 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

"Korny was right all along." -Cody Miller

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:36 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I understand why people would grind to get to 30 or 32 or 34 since those had measurable and significant impacts. But 320? That was useless before, and now it's even more useless because of the spring event that raises the light cap. Just wait a bit, play that, and hit 320 easy peasy.

Stop suiciding for that ghost and just wait 2 months.

So.... Basically what I've told you since day 1? That grinding to Max Light is not important?
How is that barely registering in your head now, and not the hundred other times that I've told you?

Every time you've said that an event is pointless "because you don't get 320 Light" stuff, I've told you that it doesn't matter, and shouldn't be what drives your decision to partake in events (Nightfall, Iron Banner, etc.).

The funny thing is that you'll complain when the level cap is raised. You'll whine that you're under-leveled, then you'll whine that you completed the content too quickly. Then you'll whine that you can't hit the new level cap on your first try. Then you'll whine...

But yeah, glad that you finally admit that I was right once again.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 12, 2016, 22:25 (3003 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, February 12, 2016, 22:29

So.... Basically what I've told you since day 1? That grinding to Max Light is not important?

That's not correct. It was very important to get max light until Taken King.

Every time you've said that an event is pointless "because you don't get 320 Light" stuff, I've told you that it doesn't matter, and shouldn't be what drives your decision to partake in events (Nightfall, Iron Banner, etc.).

As others have pointed out, it is possible to want to get 320 weapons and armor so that you can ascend shit. Even if you don't care about hitting 320, 320 items are very handy if you want to make your 280 legendary weapon useful in a fight, or ascend armor with your favorite perks / style so you can look cool without being weak. But nobody is using their ghost to ascend anything. Think for two seconds. Wanting 320 items does not necessarily mean you care about hitting 320 light.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 00:01 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not only was it not very important (No event has ever required you to be Max Light), but I continued to tell you long after TTK. Can't twist this one about, since you're still saying that you've been complaining since September, and only now realize that you were wrong all along.

As others have pointed out, it is possible to want to get 320 weapons and armor so that you can ascend shit. Even if you don't care about hitting 320, 320 items are very handy if you want to make your 280 legendary weapon useful in a fight, or ascend armor with your favorite perks / style so you can look cool without being weak. But nobody is using their ghost to ascend anything. Think for two seconds. Wanting 320 items does not necessarily mean you care about hitting 320 light.

So you acknowledge that you were whining, and are essentially still whining despite the fact that you said that the very thing that you are whining about isn't important.

Think for two seconds, you aren't required to get 320 anything to ascend other stuff. Have a 280 weapon? Use a 290 weapon to ascend it. Use a 300 weapon to ascend it. Raid drops are all 300+, but you don't need anything at 320. I use >300 gear all the time in Trials and Raids. Hard Mode raid is doable as a 311 (And I was able to get my Titan to 308 in under a week with current drop rates).

And now we're all getting 320 Ghosts for doing Crimson Doubles. Well, everyone except you, since you're gone until bigger content is out and getting 320 gear doesn't matter to you. ;)

DUDE. INSUFFERABLE.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 00:20 (3003 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 00:26 (3003 days ago) @ Korny

Not only was it not very important (No event has ever required you to be Max Light)

Could you do PoE 35 without anybody on your team being 34? Crota hard with a team of 31s?

And now we're all getting 320 Ghosts for doing Crimson Doubles. Well, everyone except you, since you're gone until bigger content is out and getting 320 gear doesn't matter to you. ;)

That's correct. Enjoy them.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 12, 2016, 21:49 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I were, it'd be because I'm currently useless in HM Oryx...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 12, 2016, 23:13 (3003 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My question is why raise the Light cap?

If there won't be new content that requires that increase, what's the point? There may be content for the new Light level, but they haven't mentioned it yet.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 00:54 (3003 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If there won't be new content that requires that increase, what's the point?

I am going to guess the new "challenge" modes will have enemies higher than 320.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 12:41 (3002 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If there won't be new content that requires that increase, what's the point?

I am going to guess the new "challenge" modes will have enemies higher than 320.

Could be new content that is higher level, or it could be that Bungie wants to make Oryx Heroic Mode more doable for more players. There are still A LOT of players who haven't cracked the 310 mark. Raising the cap to 330 with some new gear would make it that much easier to hit 311-320.

Because they are lonely and it's Valentines Day.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, February 15, 2016, 00:26 (3001 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

re-playing the story missions in TTK recently reminded me how genius it was of them to come up with a way for solo/less invested players to still experience the raid environments.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 15, 2016, 02:52 (3001 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pfft. To get high enough to succeed in Heoric Oryx.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread