This guy... (Fan Creations)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 18:27 (2914 days ago)

Highlighted in the Creations Page. 3D-Printed Destiny Weapons (including the Playstation-exclusive DL-44 Blaster).

[image]

I've always wanted a few of these

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 18:38 (2914 days ago) @ Korny

Pretty sure my GF would kick me out of the house though.

Anyone know the expenses involved in 3D printing?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 18:41 (2914 days ago) @ Korny

Asking for a friend.

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 19:07 (2914 days ago) @ CyberKN

Lots of places have some kind of 'makerspace' or 3d printer sharing program.

Maybe check out montreal or edmonton?

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 19:30 (2914 days ago) @ CyberKN

We have several 3D printers. For $1,000 you can get a decent one. Once you learn to run it the "expense" is mainly time. Printing a life size scout rifle would take days. If something goes wrong anywhere during the print, you start over. A local makerspace used to charge $0.50/minute for their 3D printer, that would put the cost of a scout rifle upwards of $1,500, probably more.

There are a few online services where you pay someone to print things for you. The "someone" not being a company but individual users. 3Dhubs.com and makexyz.com being a couple of them.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 19:42 (2914 days ago) @ naturl selexion

We have several 3D printers. For $1,000 you can get a decent one. Once you learn to run it the "expense" is mainly time. Printing a life size scout rifle would take days. If something goes wrong anywhere during the print, you start over. A local makerspace used to charge $0.50/minute for their 3D printer, that would put the cost of a scout rifle upwards of $1,500, probably more.

There are a few online services where you pay someone to print things for you. The "someone" not being a company but individual users. 3Dhubs.com and makexyz.com being a couple of them.

Buy a 3D Printer for $1000, or have someone make you something on theirs for $1500+...

Huh...

I think I'll go with unlimited rifles for $1000, Alex...

by HavokBlue, California, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 20:23 (2914 days ago) @ Korny

I've always wanted to shell out for a 3D printer and see if I can make my money back selling replica stuff like this on etsy or something.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 20:41 (2914 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I've always wanted to shell out for a 3D printer and see if I can make my money back selling replica stuff like this on etsy or something.

I've never been a "get rich quick" kind of guy. I'd love to buy one and undercut the competition all around! Cost of materials + $50! Everybody gets a gun!

It'd pay for itself in no time either way...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 21:15 (2914 days ago) @ Korny

It'd pay for itself in no time either way...

It'd take a very long time, since it's a very slow process ;p

I'm mostly worried about environmental factors (humidity, air temp, etc). How does one keep them in check?

environmental factors - 3D printing?

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 23:09 (2914 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm mostly worried about environmental factors (humidity, air temp, etc). How does one keep them in check?

I've done absolutely nothing, and still get great results. I do believe that keeping the filament dry would be a benefit. Some people will put the rolls in large plastic containers with small holes for the filament to exit. Add some desiccant to absorb moisture. As for temperature, I don't think that are any problems with the normal range of room temperatures.

I plan to build a cabinet for my rolls and use calcium chloride (ice melt) to absorb the moisture. It's the same stuff they use in those "DampRid" things - but much cheaper.

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 22:59 (2914 days ago) @ Korny

Buy a 3D Printer for $1000, or have someone make you something on theirs for $1500+...

That was the makerspace rates, I'm sure that "someone" would print one for considerably less.

Trillions. XD

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 21:32 (2914 days ago) @ CyberKN

But no, if I ever bought a 3D printer, I'd probably show up in the obituaries a few months, buried alive under hundreds and hundreds of printed video game props.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 22:03 (2914 days ago) @ CyberKN

My brother has this Printrbot one that costs $600. A kilogram of 3D Printer Filament is about $20-25 on Amazon, and you could print a lot with that.

I have been using his printer to make a full-scale Hawkmoon (broken up into multiple parts due to the size limitations of the printer).

For an initial investment of $600, you could start churning out replica guns at less than $20 a piece on average.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 23:15 (2914 days ago) @ Speedracer513

My brother has this Printrbot one that costs $600. A kilogram of 3D Printer Filament is about $20-25 on Amazon, and you could print a lot with that.

I have been using his printer to make a full-scale Hawkmoon (broken up into multiple parts due to the size limitations of the printer).

For an initial investment of $600, you could start churning out replica guns at less than $20 a piece on average.

Aside from the initial $600 printer purchase, the mostexpensive part of the process would be buying the model paint and brushes. That stuff is not cheap.

There is uh, more to it than that.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 00:43 (2914 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Considerably more.

You don't just download the file, and then print it and suddenly $$$$.

3d printers require a lot of constant calibrations and adjustments before and after each print. It's not like an ink jet printer where you just plug it in and go.

It's a lot of trial and error, scaling and slicing of models and hours of waiting and hoping that the piece you just spent 12 hours printing doesn't mess up at the 95% completed mark.

(samples!)
[image]

[image]

[image]

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm just saying that 3d printers are still not main stream yet for a reason. They are getting better, but they aren't simple yet. Otherwise I'd have printed every halo thing I've ever wanted ever ;)

Those are hilarious.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 05:24 (2914 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

There is uh, more to it than that.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 11:34 (2914 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Can confirm. I don't do any myself, but my best friend has been messing with his for a few years and it is CONSTANT tweaking. I bet he had that thing 6 months or more before it actually started printing useful objects. Of course his is sort of half-homebrew rather than being complete out of the box, but still.

Now I want a yellow Bad Juju too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 19:11 (2914 days ago) @ Korny

(including the Playstation-exclusive DL-44 Blaster).

Heh

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread