Sunset Overdrive free now on Xbox (Destiny)

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:08 (2913 days ago)
edited by naturl selexion, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:19

The "Games with Gold" generally has nothing of interest but this month (two weeks?) you can get Sunset Overdrive for free. I almost bought it when it came out. It reminds me of Crackdown, which I thought was a great game. I probably will never complete it but it is a nice diversion, and the price is right.

One thing I don't like is the automatic uploading of clips when you complete certain activities. I wonder if that can be turned off?

Its been free since the 15th of last month, no?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:18 (2913 days ago) @ naturl selexion

The "Games with Gold" generally has nothing of interest but this month (two weeks?) you can get Sunset Overdrive for free. I almost bought it when it came out. It reminds me of Crackdown, which I thought was a great game. I probably will never complete it but it is a nice diversion, and the price is right.

I've had it downloaded on the Xbone for a week, I think. Unless I've gone mad...

Either way, I finally played it last night, and it's one of the very few games that I don't sit through for at least five hours because it was so bad.
I actually played a little over an hour and a half of it (I think, it felt much longer), before I grew so annoyed with all of the forced humor, references, and attempts to be hip. The gameplay was pretty mediocre as well, but I'm sure it improves as you unlock abilities and such. I just couldn't handle enduring more of the stupidity. inFAMOUS, it is not, though I think it was trying to be.

I need another shower after remembering how bad it was...

Of course, YMMV, so if the "humor" that wishes that it had an ounce of Borderlands' charm doesn't bother you, I'm sure it might be mindless fun.

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:24 (2913 days ago) @ Korny

I've tried Borderlands a couple of times but could never get into it. I can appreciate Sunset Overdrive's humor in that it mocks itself, and video games in general. One good example is during the mission that requires you to scale a tall building. Near the top I fell but instead of starting over at the bottom you start just slightly behind where you were when falling, The character makes some comment about being glad not having to start from the bottom - which echoed my feelings exactly.

April 16 to May 15

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:33 (2913 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 21:25 (2913 days ago) @ Korny

Of course, YMMV, so if the "humor" that wishes that it had an ounce of Borderlands' charm doesn't bother you, I'm sure it might be mindless fun.

I didn't find the humor in Sunset Overdriver particularly good, but I definitely didn't find it as appalling as you did. It was pretty "meh" but it didn't drive me away, and even made me kinda half-smile once or twice. It's definitely no Borderlands, you're right, but I've also seen plenty of people criticize Borderlands for its childish, meme-ridden humor, too. It's all down to taste, in that respect.

That said, I thought the gameplay was actually quite good, in a sort of throwback way. It's very arcadey, sort of old-school 3D platforming, Ratchet and Clank-ish mindless fun. I only played for about three hours because Dark Souls and Enter the Gungeon rule my gaming time right now, but I'll probably play it some more when I find the time.

It's a good free Game with Gold--it's not something I'd have been particularly happy paying $60 for.

I liked this game

by Durandal, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 23:46 (2913 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Its really just kind of crazy and zany. It makes for a good party game.

Is it cooperative?

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 00:29 (2913 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Yep.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 02:08 (2913 days ago) @ Funkmon

They've got an 8-player raid/firefight combo. It's called Chaos Squad!

This game does not take itself seriously

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 11:56 (2913 days ago) @ naturl selexion

For good or bad. Personally, I didn't care for it, though I appreciated the option to turn off the foul langage. You don't see that very often in games anymore. It just *BEEP*s out any language so you can still tell what they were going to say which is actually a bit more funny if you ask me.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 12:18 (2913 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

For good or bad. Personally, I didn't care for it, though I appreciated the option to turn off the foul langage. You don't see that very often in games anymore. It just *BEEP*s out any language so you can still tell what they were going to say which is actually a bit more funny if you ask me.

Brütal Legend also had this option. With the very self-aware, tongue-in-cheek silliness of both of these games, I was a bit disappointed when enabling the profanity filter didn't result in some monkey fighting snakes level dubbing over all of the swearing.

-Disciple

Now that would have been awesome

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 12:48 (2913 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 12:40 (2913 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

One of the things that did annoy me was that they threw swear words around everywhere just for the sake of being "edgy"; they never felt organic. Honestly, it really would have been funnier to hear them bleeped out. Battleborn did this by default, and it actually did get a chuckle out of me in the midst of combat.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread