I hope Bungie completly overhauls player customization in D2 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 16:57 (2910 days ago)

I managed to snag a Jovian Guard Chestpiece yesterday, but was frustrated by how Shaders assign colors to different parts of the armour an such arbitrary fashion.

It highlighted a complaint I've had about Destiny since Day 1: Aesthetic customization takes a back seat to the player-investment-loot-systems that are apparently required to keep people playing this game.

And that sucks. I was able to make my Spartan wear all-red armour within 1 minute of creating my profile in Halo. In Destiny, it took 12 months.

Here's a few things I'd like Dest2ny to rework:

• Shaders: Dump 'em. Let us tweak the colour, luminosity, patterns and material for each piece of gear to our heart's content. RGB sliders would be nice.

• Emblems: I like the way we can acquire unique emblems as proof of achievements in-game, but dislike that we can't customize them AT ALL. Bring back the Halo color and mix-matching background system. Why not?

• Armour: At the very least, give us some sort of transmog system that lets us "infuse" an armour piece's appearance into another with better perks. A second "aesthetic slot" to complement the currently existing "functionality slot" would be better, as it doesn't require any sort of commitment on the player's part... unlike:

• Chroma: Speaking of commitment, who thought this was a good system? It's overly complicated and discourages experimentation. Kill it with fire, and just add Chroma as another trait we can customize with the others I listed earlier.

Anything else people would like to see?

I hope Bungie completly overhauls player customization in D2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 17:07 (2910 days ago) @ CyberKN

On Shaders:

Probably not going to get RGB sliders since the idea of shaders is very investment centric.

On Emblems:

Same thing with shaders, but I can see that being alleviated by having you earn design elements which you can rearrange.

On Armor:

Transmog sounds fine, but I think exotics should be exempt. Since you know, they are exotic.

On Chroma:

True, it is dumb.

Anything else people would like to see?

BEARDS ZOMG.

Stylists...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 17:29 (2910 days ago) @ CyberKN

Other than the ability to change our character's race, gender, and overall appearance...

Tattoos, piercings, accessories (beards, glasses, rebreathers), changeable hairstyles, a helmet-less option for breathable environments/ the option to remove (or hide) armor pieces in general (so that we don't have to wear a cloak as Hunters, for example).

I'd like to see alternate skins for gear, not just "chroma". Patterns and such would add variety to the same armor piece, which would give players more freedom to customize their gear.

Scrap the loot system and collect customizations

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 17:50 (2910 days ago) @ CyberKN

Don't force players to chase after light level. Where armor/weapons are combinations of base appearance (model) and random perks. Exotics would still exist because they have interesting game changing (or breaking) mechanics that sets them apart from the "normal" armor/weapons. Keep the green, blue, purple, exotic system but don't restrict the number of perks on each tier so if I really like a green item (aka scarf for hunters) I can use it even in "endgame" type activities.

For customization, add a bunch of collectible customizers to use to change the appearance of your stuff. Maybe color shaders, material shaders, or other effects. Each of those customizers could be applied independently to each piece of gear. So maybe you apply a brown color shader, a wood material shader, and a grunt birthday party effect to your helmet. You then use a taken effect on your chest piece, etc. That would make it a bit more like the Reach system, where you spent your time doing fun things for the rewards of more customization options.

I hope Bungie completly overhauls player customization in D2

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 04:06 (2910 days ago) @ CyberKN

I would like Bungie to go the Mass Effect route when it comes to armor types and colors. Same with how faces are designed. Destiny's definitely lacking in comparison. Other than that, I like a lot of what you've said.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread