Overwatch (Gaming)

by Dan de Board @, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 17:46 (2906 days ago)

From yesterday until Monday the open beta for Overwatch is available on PS4, XB1 and PC. I downloaded it last night on PS4 and found it to be pretty fantastic!

If you don't know anything about it, imagine if each destiny subclass was it's own character (except there's 20 of them), was focused entirely on PvP, there are no investment systems and there was a great emphasis put on diversity of tactics and play styles. That's Overwatch.

It's fast-paced and super fun! From what I've found, the initial skill requirements seem pretty low, but the skill ceiling is pretty darn high with all the different heroes and game types.

Is anyone else playing it?

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 18:34 (2906 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Downloading today, I have high hopes for this game. :D

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 14:06 (2901 days ago) @ slycrel

So, I played the engineer with the wrench, pea shooter, & shotgun... er, I mean TORBJÖRN. I found it very similar to TFC and enjoyed it. now to decide if I want to buy it or not...

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 14:11 (2901 days ago) @ dogcow

So, I played the engineer with the wrench, pea shooter, & shotgun... er, I mean TORBJÖRN. I found it very similar to TFC and enjoyed it. now to decide if I want to buy it or not...

I frankly find it more of a party game than anything... I mean it's good and all but it didn't really have much meat to it other than... well a party game. Something I can hop on for a little while and just play. So basically I don't think I would ever buy it unless I got a HUGE deal on it. Not to mention I would only want to play it with friends so I would have to get THEM to buy it too... So yeah. Not likely :-)

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 14:23 (2901 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I really like it with friends but I really dislike it playing solo. With a 7 month old I just don't know if I can justify $60 for the little amount of time I'll probably have to play. Still, if it's on sale sometime I'd probably pick it up.

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 17:44 (2901 days ago) @ breitzen

I really like it with friends but I really dislike it playing solo. With a 7 month old I just don't know if I can justify $60 for the little amount of time I'll probably have to play. Still, if it's on sale sometime I'd probably pick it up.

Yeah, I think if I'm going to pick it up it'll be when it's on sale.

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 17:55 (2901 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah, I think if I'm going to pick it up it'll be when it's on sale.

Honestly, both Overwatch and Battleborn are pretty barebones as it is. I would have held off on buying either of them if Sammy hadn't gone ahead and bought Battleborn. That said, what there is is tons of fun, and playing with friends can lead to some really cool "watercooler" moments (such as when Sammy and I held the entire enemy team back for nearly an entire match by ourselves as a pair of Symmetras in Overwatch).

My favorite moment

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 18:01 (2901 days ago) @ Korny

Mixing up the poison trap button with the grappling hook... Priceless.

TEAM FORTRESS FOREVER!

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 15:53 (2901 days ago) @ dogcow

Biggest complaint -- there is no rumble effect when you are getting shot. I feel blind having to visually look at little red triangles and determine where I'm getting shot from, rather than doing it by feel. This alone may prevent me from purchasing the game.

It's got so many TF2 elements it's not even funny. I suspect that Blizzard are ripping off Valve's "conceptual IP" because Valve decided to make DOTA 2 without consulting blizzard. Fun times. :D

That said, I still think TF2 is better, but I've not played it on a console, so maybe it's apples to oranges.

Overwatch

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 20:17 (2906 days ago) @ Dan de Board

A bunch of us have been playing it as a group, which is tons of fun.

Having played this and Battleborne, though, I'm probably going to play Battleborne a lot more (more teamwork, map control, resourcefulness-oriented).

That said, it's a lot of fun, and I'm going to be playing the beta on both consoles, so if you see me on, shoot me an invite (if I get the game, it'll be on PS4, though).

FYI: The beta was extended 24 hours

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 13:47 (2902 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Go play it tonight!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread