Heads up: if you liked Halo 5's gameplay, buy Doom 4. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:14 (2913 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:25

Just throwing it out there. I don't want to spoil anything for the game, but it's really proper classic Doom brought to 2016. Where Doom 3 made an extremely modern game, looking to innovate, as id does, Doom 4 is not that.

I'm going to talk a little bit about the gameplay. Don't read this if you want to go in completely blank.

The game runs at 60 FPS on the Xbox. No idea what the resolution is, but it looks close enough to high def. There is some noticeable texture pop if you move too quickly and get too close to things, but I've only seen it twice.

Doom guy is on permanent run mode. You move stupid fast. It feels like Unreal Tournament fast. There's a clamber mechanic, just like Halo 5, and the punch attack is very satisfying, just like Halo 5. You can even do needlessly violent kills on the bad guys. And there's no gun zoom.

There's character progression, gun upgrades, all the modern stuff, but these upgrades basically just make the game faster paced and more fun. You can find more in the world if you explore.

The levels progress through people talking to you on the radio and at terminals, telling you where to go. You get nav points, and, unbelievably for Doom, a map. In a similar manner to the first game, you have to collect keys to open coloured doors, which is not terrible, and sometimes you have to kill all the demons to get doors to open. This is explained away by a funny message saying that the number of demons spawned is over the safety limit or something.

The soundtrack is totally intense. Some of you know I play games with my volume down so low I can barely hear anything. In the first few minutes, I turned the TV volume up because I heard the music. This stuff pumps you up. It's like dubstep with early nineties metal sensibilities. I seriously love the soundtrack while I'm playing the game.

Just letting you guys know it's good, and don't be freaked out that they didn't distribute review codes. It's why I rented it instead of buying it. That and I'm also poor.

*RENT Doom 4.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:18 (2913 days ago) @ Funkmon

Retro gameplay may not be everyone's cup of tea. I enjoyed Halo 5 well enough, but I couldn't really get into the new DOOM, despite loads of anticipation (my brother, ten times the DOOM fan that I am, got bored of the new game faster than I did).

Heads up: if you liked Halo 5's gameplay, buy Doom 4.

by digital_ronin, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:22 (2913 days ago) @ Funkmon

I did enjoy Halo 5's gameplay, just not on the harder difficulty settings. Everything became a bullet sponge that could one-shot you, so you couldn't use any of the new melees and moving around the battlefield was straight out. (I completed solo legendary on all the Bungie Halo games, but not the 343i games.)

So with that said, what difficult setting are you playing on? How is it on the harder settings?

I play all games on the easiest difficulty setting. :D

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:24 (2913 days ago) @ digital_ronin

So I can only compare easy to easy. They're both easy, but Halo 5 has more annoying enemies.

Am properly excited. Help me get more/less

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 13, 2016, 19:52 (2913 days ago) @ Funkmon

You mentioned a map. Is the world a single thing where you go on unlocking doors and breaking barriers (like Metroid) or are there several each-has-its-own-map missions (like Halo)?

Am properly excited. Help me get more/less

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 13, 2016, 19:56 (2913 days ago) @ ZackDark

Each mission is its own thing, but you get a map like in Marathon, but 3d.

Slightly less excited, but thanks anyway

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 13, 2016, 20:34 (2913 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

A lot more excited by this video now

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, May 14, 2016, 19:57 (2912 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, gratuitous gore isn't my favorite and I'm not very keen on the enemies' color palette, but godDAMN, dat gameplay.

A lot more excited by this video now

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 16, 2016, 03:59 (2911 days ago) @ ZackDark

I can't come up with adequate words for the level of style present in that video, and how everything about the mechanics I'm seeing encourages badassery.

Also, berserk powerup!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 15:11 (2911 days ago) @ Funkmon

Just letting you guys know it's good, and don't be freaked out that they didn't distribute review codes. It's why I rented it instead of buying it. That and I'm also poor.

Any word on how long it is? It looks really great, but I'm not sure it's something I want to spend $60 on. I might Redbox it, though.

I'm watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look right now (and for those that weren't impressed with their Mirror's Edge video, this one is much better than that one), and it's nearly sold me on it, but I suspect I'll be playing through Uncharted 4 at least one more time to play with Photo Mode, and then return to Dark Souls 3. And I still really want to play Until Dawn, and ugh . . . too many games, I can't keep up.

I'm a doom fan, so don't listen to me.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 18:40 (2911 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Funkmon, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 18:49

I loved Doom, I used to play tons of WADs and stuff. When Doom 3 came out, I was really excited and preordered it with my dishwashing money, but was too scared to finish playing it. I only just beat it with the help of Narcogen recently. After that, I just quit paying attention, and lost interest, because I couldn't handle the new game. Playing this game made me like it again, and now I would say I like it too much. For example, I caught myself being offended at anybody's negative comments about the game, thinking "these people just don't get it." Hallmark of fanboyism. So don't listen to me.

It's a 12 hour campaign mode, but you get upgrades and stuff while playing, and you unlock classic maps to play with the modern guns and enemies, so playing through a second time completely levelled up with is fun, since the fun of the game is based almost entirely on shooting bad guys. I did it to get some secrets.

Snapmap is limited right now, but the things people do with it are interesting. Jumping games, a cooperative music maker with drum synth, piano, cowbell, remakes of old Doom maps, cooperative new missions, etc. I imagine snapmap will get updates expanding its capability and we'll see entire new coop campaigns in it.

I don't do multiplayer unless it's with friends and nobody on my friends list bought the game, so I haven't opened it.

EDIT: in regards to too many games, in the past year I've basically only put any significant time into Fallout 4, Destiny, and this one. If you're having trouble keeping up with games, stop buying them. If, in 6 months, you still want Doom, then it'll be worth spending $35 on. But, most of the time in a situation like this, time will pass and you'll never really think about it again. Play the games you like the best, then when you've exhausted that game, play whatever strikes your fancy at the time of completion. There will always be more games and you're always going to miss one. For example, I still haven't played The Old Blood, that Wolfenstein expansion/game. Still haven't finished ROTTR. And you know what? When Mirror's Edge comes out and I rent that, I'm going to forget about Wolfenstein again. And then when something neat comes out in the fall, I'm going to forget about it again. And then, after a couple years, I'll never think about it and there is no void in my life.

For example, I bought Mass Effect a few years ago. I've literally never launched it, and I had to struggle to think of it. Don't worry about it, man. Just don't buy the game.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 19:14 (2911 days ago) @ Funkmon

For example, I bought Mass Effect a few years ago. I've literally never launched it, and I had to struggle to think of it. Don't worry about it, man. Just don't buy the game.

Oh, you're right, of course. Keeping up with new releases is a fool's errand. I watch a lot of Giant Bomb and listen to some gaming podcasts, so it's easy to feel like I'm falling behind or missing out on things. I try not to let it affect me, and honestly it usually doesn't. I've been playing fewer and fewer games lately. I do buy a lot of games, but I don't buy games I don't really want to play. I'll be playing Dark Souls 3 until Mirror's Edge comes out, probably. I buy way more "indie" games than AAA games anymore. They're perfect for me. Cheap, usually pretty short. I just like playing new things, even if only for a few hours. There are plenty of games I've played for three or four hours, then put down and never touched again and feel like I got what I needed or wanted from the experience. I just like trying new/interesting things.

I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap through PS+ or Deals with Gold or something. Or, like you said, not at all. My games schedule is pretty full up for the next few months, and I've got a garage full of Mustang parts that need to be installed now that the weather is nice.

What parts do you have?

by Funkmon @, Monday, May 16, 2016, 03:16 (2911 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I bought a blower kit to put in mine: I figured a V6 would fool people into thinking I was slow, then Then I moved to Phoenix, drove my motorcycle exclusively, never bothered to put it in, and sold it on eBay at almost no loss, weirdly.

What parts do you have?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, May 16, 2016, 11:04 (2910 days ago) @ Funkmon

I bought a blower kit to put in mine: I figured a V6 would fool people into thinking I was slow, then Then I moved to Phoenix, drove my motorcycle exclusively, never bothered to put it in, and sold it on eBay at almost no loss, weirdly.

Heh, I did the exact same thing about five years ago. Bought a supercharger, but didn't install it. The I left for basic training, and by the time I was finished with tech school and at my first base in California, I figured I'd rather have the cash and sold it for exactly what I paid for it.

Right now I have new wheels and tires, new shocks, new lower control arms, and an aftermarket K-member. I'm looking in to getting a Watts 4 link setup for the rear end so I can just hit all the suspension at once, so that's really what I'm waiting on.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 16, 2016, 03:41 (2911 days ago) @ Funkmon

I still haven't played The Old Blood, that Wolfenstein expansion/game.

I'm working my way through it slowly. Eveyr once in a while I pick it up and play through one level, then put it down for a while.

Maybe that sounds like it's not fun, but it is. I loved The New Order and I love this one, too, but with this latest type of Wolfenstein I'm really meticulous about stealthing everything and I just need a break after a while.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 16, 2016, 03:44 (2911 days ago) @ cheapLEY

HOLY CRAP that looks fun. I get what people mean about the fast movement now. I'm remembering the specific mechanics of how I used to play DOOM and... you know that feeling when you go back to visit some place you vaguely remember from your childhood? Things you had almost forgotten suddenly popping back into focus? That's how I felt watching that video just now.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 16, 2016, 03:51 (2911 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'm really happy about what I'm hearing on this game. I read something really positive yesterday, don't remember where, and then just now I watched a few minutes from the middle of the Giant Bomb video cheapLEY posted, and I sort of want this game RIGHT NOW.

Just letting you guys know it's good, and don't be freaked out that they didn't distribute review codes.

The thing I read yesterday guessed there were 2 possible explanations for that:

1. They had some sort of technical issue that didn't get cleared up until the last minute. Possible, but even the person who suggested it didn't think this was likely, on account of everything working perfectly for them on their system.

2. It was intentional, just to build up curiosity and get everyone talking when it turned out to not suck. Seems possible, but they'd have to be REALLY confident to try it. Although after watching 2 minutes of gameplay, I can kind of see how they would be.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, May 16, 2016, 11:52 (2910 days ago) @ stabbim

Just letting you guys know it's good, and don't be freaked out that they didn't distribute review codes.

The thing I read yesterday guessed there were 2 possible explanations for that:

1. They had some sort of technical issue that didn't get cleared up until the last minute. Possible, but even the person who suggested it didn't think this was likely, on account of everything working perfectly for them on their system.

2. It was intentional, just to build up curiosity and get everyone talking when it turned out to not suck. Seems possible, but they'd have to be REALLY confident to try it. Although after watching 2 minutes of gameplay, I can kind of see how they would be.

I wonder if it was just a knee-jerk reaction to the negativity surrounding the multiplayer beta?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 16, 2016, 13:03 (2910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I dunno, that whole thing completely passed me by. Combination of not really following DOOM closely at that point, and my total disinterest in PvP.

I bet that was it.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, May 17, 2016, 05:37 (2910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, May 17, 2016, 11:18 (2909 days ago) @ Funkmon

So I just saw a trailer on TV for Doom 4 and it made me laugh because they showed game play. Okay, that's not what made me laugh, it was the fact that the game play was shown at like a third to a half the speed of this game play video. They apparently don't want to show off how high speed it is? It was interesting that they would show game play and actually slow it down.

I Redboxed tonight.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 02:00 (2908 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's really neat, and pretty fun. Not something I'd be all that interested in buying, though--glad I rented it.

I'm glad it's had such a good reception, it's neat to see these throwback games come out strong. I still want to check out Wolfenstein The New Order.

I Redboxed tonight.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 02:33 (2908 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I still want to check out Wolfenstein The New Order.

I've been wanting to as well. I can't seem to pull the trigger and get it, even though the game and the DLC were both cheap.
I opted for the Unsharted Collection instead since there was guaranteed high value there for cheap $$$

I Redboxed tonight.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 03:48 (2908 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I still want to check out Wolfenstein The New Order.

I've been wanting to as well. I can't seem to pull the trigger and get it, even though the game and the DLC were both cheap.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is one of those games that you go into with low expectations, and come out completely impressed with by the end. I don't want to oversell it, but I had a really great time with it, and I hope it gets a sequel. One of those games that expertly blends old school and new.

It goes on sale pretty often, so if you can get it for $10, you'll definitely enjoy the experience.

Never played the DLC for it though, so I couldn't comment. It wasn't received as well, critically speaking, since it was more old-fashioned than the main game.

The New Order was pretty good stuff.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 05:34 (2908 days ago) @ Korny

Where Doom is a throwback game, The New Order is what Wolfenstein would be today if it had the same sensibilities.

There's ADS, serious story, some quest elements, upgrade trees, all the stuff we expect in a modern shooter, but with the over-the-top nuttiness from the nineties. We have simulated film grain, war, work camps, innocents dying, a fascist regime, and also massive Nazi robo brains and dual wielding assault rifles. Where many modern shooters go for a kind of realistic type thing, Wolfenstein knows it's a game and doesn't shy away from things you could only do in a game, but it's played straight, not comedically, like Doom.

If you like shooters, you'll like TNO.

If this helps, the developers all used to work at Starbreeze, and also did the Chronicles of Riddick games, which were absolutely fantastic.

The New Order was pretty good stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 14:31 (2907 days ago) @ Funkmon

If this helps, the developers all used to work at Starbreeze, and also did the Chronicles of Riddick games, which were absolutely fantastic.

I loved the first Riddick game, but could not get more than two hours into Assault on Dark Athena without giving up. I'm not sure why, as from everything I could tell, and everything I heard, it's basically just more of almost exactly what Escape from Butcher Bay was. It just didn't click. Maybe too much time had passed and I built up Butcher Bay too much in my head or something, I dunno.

When I bought my PS4, it came with the Nathan Drake Collection, which I'm now done with, and I also got a free copy of Lego Jurassic World that I've never even opened. I think I'll go trade those in and see what I can get with whatever money I get out of those.

Speaking of which, man . . . I desperately want to be all digital, but I looked up Wolfenstein and it's still $60 on the PS4 storefront. It's $20 brand new at any store for a physical copy. It's stupid and frustrating. I would be more than happy to pay $20 for a digital copy that I can't trade in when I'm done. . . instead I'm going to end up spending $17 on a used copy at Gamestop and then trade it back in a month and let someone else do the same thing. They're fucking themselves out of money, and I don't get it.

Digital and PS4

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 19, 2016, 14:40 (2907 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Do you still have to use the disc after installing on the PS4? I dunno if it's with all games or not, but the one physical disc game I have on the One never asked me to insert the disc again.

Digital and PS4

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 14:47 (2907 days ago) @ ZackDark

Do you still have to use the disc after installing on the PS4? I dunno if it's with all games or not, but the one physical disc game I have on the One never asked me to insert the disc again.

Really? I only own a few games physically on both consoles, but they all require the disc to be in the console to play.

Odd. Good thing I kept on buying digital, then :p

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 19, 2016, 14:53 (2907 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 15:35 (2907 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'd like to, but I'm not going to pay $60 for a more than year old game that I can pick up for $17 on a disc.

Not a big deal, really, but I just don't understand Sony's (and Microsoft's) line of thought on this one. I don't personally know anyone that wants digital bad enough to make that decision, and I can't imagine there's that many "casual" gamers with consoles that would fall for that con.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 15:42 (2907 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd like to, but I'm not going to pay $60 for a more than year old game that I can pick up for $17 on a disc.

Not a big deal, really, but I just don't understand Sony's (and Microsoft's) line of thought on this one. I don't personally know anyone that wants digital bad enough to make that decision, and I can't imagine there's that many "casual" gamers with consoles that would fall for that con.

Here's a couple of reasons:

1. As a digital retailer, you don't have to worry about clearing shelf-space/inventory, unlike physical retail.
2. Some bean-counter did the math and determined that X number of people will still buy the game at Y price, So they still make enough profit to justify it.

Is it because you never took it out?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 16:52 (2907 days ago) @ ZackDark

I own almost all games physically, both due to cheapness and cartoonishly slow download speeds. As a lazy person, I regret it every day.

Want to play Elder Scrolls Online? Put in the disc.
Destiny? Put in the disc.
LIS? Put in the disc.
Assassin's Creed? Disc. BAH.

Do you still have to put the disc in after TTK?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 16:55 (2907 days ago) @ Funkmon

Most people I know said the requirement went away when they bought TTK.

Do you still have to put the disc in after TTK?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:37 (2907 days ago) @ Xenos

Most people I know said the requirement went away when they bought TTK.

I wonder if that's just because of the way it's set up in the storefronts. It's basically treated like an entirely new game as far as the system is concerned, rather than as DLC for an already existing game. It's got a separate entry on the store, rather than being in some sort of DLC tab for Destiny.

I do on PS4

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:02 (2907 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Yes. Also on nephew's system.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:19 (2907 days ago) @ Xenos

I'd wager that the people who don't have to put it in bought the ultra deluxe full game included edition, where I only bought the expansion.

Is it because you never took it out?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:09 (2907 days ago) @ Funkmon

You have to wait longer, but I buy most of my digital content after severe markdowns.

Nope, but might be because of how it is set up

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:19 (2907 days ago) @ Funkmon

I have the Rare Bundle (or whatever it's called). Once installed, I ejected the disc and never gave it another thought.

Btw, Banjo-Kazooie is still quite a game.

Oh right, that one doesn't require a disc. Great games.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:21 (2907 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread