Who runs destiny on a slow connection? (Destiny)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 20:13 (2908 days ago)

I'll be moving soon and I'm curious how my new connection will be. I'll be running 6-8 down and 1-1.5up. Ping times seem good around 25-35ms. I think the down will be fine but the up seems a little weak.

I do and have. You'll be fine.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 20:36 (2908 days ago) @ red robber

I've played Destiny on a 300kB down, 75kB up connection with a 30 ms ping and it was virtually indistinguishable from a previous 8MB down 1 MB up connection I've had.

What was worse was Borderlands. Destiny is very good for slow connections. It allows me to play on my cell phone for pete's sake.

Who runs destiny on a slow connection?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 23:16 (2908 days ago) @ red robber
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 23:20

I'll be moving soon and I'm curious how my new connection will be. I'll be running 6-8 down and 1-1.5up. Ping times seem good around 25-35ms. I think the down will be fine but the up seems a little weak.

6Mbps is SLOW? Get off my lawn! I had to dial in with a 14.4kbps back in the day. Tricking Marathon into running over a modem connection instead of LAN made it run at like 10fps, but damn was it fun.

Unreal Tournament was surprisingly playable on a 56k.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 01:01 (2908 days ago) @ Cody Miller

6Mbps is SLOW? Get off my lawn! I had to dial in with a 14.4kbps back in the day. Tricking Marathon into running over a modem connection instead of LAN made it run at like 10fps, but damn was it fun.

Unreal Tournament was surprisingly playable on a 56k.

Yup, I remember those days of Aim and Yahoo chatrooms. I've been playing on a connection of 125Mg down and 5.5Mg up for the last few months. When I ran 1.5dsl with a 300k up it was hardly playable at all. But that was early year one and I'm curious how much they have improved the networking. My biggest concern is the up not the down though. I can't remember where I saw it, but I thought bungie mentioneded that they wanted 1Mg plus for a recommended upload.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 00:26 (2908 days ago) @ red robber

I used to, and it was pure hell.

I could almost never join raids, parties were difficult to join, there was always at least one muted voice, and I got a Contacting Destiny Servers message EVERY 30 seconds, and a Weasel or Beetle error every 5 or 6 minutes.

It was horrible.

by Up North 65 @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 03:00 (2908 days ago) @ red robber

Shed-net was regularly .9 to 1.1 down with half that for upload. Ping was really bad at 150 to 300 on bad nights. But for a 120ish foot wifi through the woods it worked ok. Now when it was funk, me and narc Internet shenigans ensued.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread