The winner in VR is… (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:53 (2907 days ago)

The PS4 VR system.

Just found out the new Gran Turismo has been built from the ground up to support Playstation 4 VR. Killer app. Perfect genre for VR. Tons of sales guaranteed.

This is doing it right.

The winner in VR is…

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 21:45 (2907 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Depends on how good it is.

I watched the stream today. It gets a break for being a VR game, I guess, but it looks like crap. It literally doesn't even look as good as Gran Turismo 6 for the PS3. Which, again, is fine if we're talking VR.

But, right now, they're not advertising it that. They're advertising it as a full blown, next gen Gran Turismo game, and from what I've seen today, it ain't that.

And here I thought it was Dramamine

by Durandal, Friday, May 20, 2016, 10:15 (2907 days ago) @ Cody Miller

and other motion sickness reducing drugs. At least for me, VR has been too disorienting for more then a moment's use.

In other VR news, Oculus seals its fate.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 20, 2016, 17:07 (2906 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Facebook has now officially locked out the Vive, preventing anything but the Rift from playing VR games purchased from Oculus Home, something Palmer Luckey said would never happen.

I'm as excited for VR as anyone, but between this and not even being able to buy a headset if I wanted to, this is a real shitshow.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Sony's Playstation VR really will be the winner of VR.

There doesn't always have to be a winner.

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 20, 2016, 19:54 (2906 days ago) @ cheapLEY

In much the same way there is no winner of console games versus PC games.

Many people only play on console and many only play on PC. Despite PC gaming being much smaller compared to console gaming, you can buy many console games on PC, and there are exclusives for PCs. Despite consoles being technically inferior, they have exclusives as well.

In the retail world, when a segment opens, there's usually quite a few players that come in and try, then it settles down to two big ones, and smaller niche ones. Example: in the nineties, there were tons of home improvement stores. Lowe's, Home Depot, Builder's Square, Home Quarters Warehouse, etc. Now there's two.

Sometimes, there are just a bunch of companies. Currently, Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, and so on do normal systems, IBM does business, Cray does supercomputers, Foxconn does little ones, ibuypower does custom systems, and so on. For every Amiga we lose, we get a company like Razer that starts building systems. There doesn't have to be a winner every time, people.

There doesn't always have to be a winner.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 20, 2016, 21:05 (2906 days ago) @ Funkmon

By "winner" I mean that the population at large might actually buy and use one.

In other VR news, Oculus seals its fate.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 20, 2016, 19:59 (2906 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Facebook has now officially locked out the Vive, preventing anything but the Rift from playing VR games purchased from Oculus Home, something Palmer Luckey said would never happen.

Having recently tried the Vive, it blows Oculus out of the water. It's not even close. Oculus is really far behind the Vive.

The winner in VR is…

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 20, 2016, 19:33 (2906 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The PS4 VR system.

Just found out the new Gran Turismo has been built from the ground up to support Playstation 4 VR. Killer app. Perfect genre for VR. Tons of sales guaranteed.

This is doing it right.

But Gran Turismo is a driving game, and driving games are inherently bad. They're super repetitive, DLC doesn't add anything groundbreaking, updates don't add new mechanics, and they require a ton of grinding to unlock everything. Why would anyone want to play them?

#2 being false fixes #1

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 20, 2016, 22:00 (2906 days ago) @ Korny

The PS4 VR system.

This is doing it right.

But Gran Turismo is a driving game, and driving games are inherently bad. They're super repetitive, DLC doesn't add anything groundbreaking, updates don't add new mechanics, and they require a ton of grinding to unlock everything. Why would anyone want to play them?

That last one does not need to be true…

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread