Finished Uncharted 4 (tiny spoiler--maybe?) (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:39 (2887 days ago)

It’s a great game. Uncharted gameplay has never been my favorite, but this is its best iteration. Nathan Drake has always struck me as a tad too dude-bro-ish for my taste, but one the things I like about the game is how it expands his character in both directions—seeing the younger Drake (yes, we’ve gotten a glimpse before), and seeing him become more of a grown-up. I really appreciate that this is a game made by grown-ups. More like this please.

Sam is a great character, and it’s a testament to Naughty Dog that they introduced such an important character so late in the series and made it work. Sully doesn’t have as large a role (at least on camera), but unlike some, I wasn’t bothered by this. This story was rightly about tensions between family loyalties, old and new.
In a way Uncharted 4 reminded me of Halo: Reach in that it was a greatest hits package integrated into one game. Also, like Reach, it was a bit more grounded, with more accounting for the human costs of what happens.

Finally, the ending left me in a puddle, in a good way. Play it if you can. (I do recommend playing the other three first.)

Kermit

Finished Uncharted 4 (tiny spoiler--maybe?)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:50 (2887 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:57

Having seen both Captain America Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse, I can completely and honestly say that the video game industry is making better action movies than Hollywood currently. Action films have seriously lost their way over the years (with few and far between exceptions), and Uncharted kind of fills that void. It's very a interesting thing to see, and something I never thought was even remotely possible.

I still think that they could have brought Chloe back as described here.

One other thing came to mind when you mentioned Nathan's Bro-ness though. I guess I never really thought of it before, but when you mention that Nate had to grow up, it really seemed to place Elena in the completely traditional role of the ball and chain. Like, you know, Nate really wants and longs for adventure but she stands in the way. That's why it's so telling they did NOT bring Chloe back, and it was a 100% dude adventure crew. Why else would he lie to her instead of just telling the truth? Maybe she'd even understand.

Finished Uncharted 4 SPOILER

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:32 (2887 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Having seen both Captain America Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse, I can completely and honestly say that the video game industry is making better action movies than Hollywood currently. Action films have seriously lost their way over the years (with few and far between exceptions), and Uncharted kind of fills that void. It's very a interesting thing to see, and something I never thought was even remotely possible.

I still think that they could have brought Chloe back as described here.

One other thing came to mind when you mentioned Nathan's Bro-ness though. I guess I never really thought of it before, but when you mention that Nate had to grow up, it really seemed to place Elena in the completely traditional role of the ball and chain. Like, you know, Nate really wants and longs for adventure but she stands in the way. That's why it's so telling they did NOT bring Chloe back, and it was a 100% dude adventure crew. Why else would he lie to her instead of just telling the truth? Maybe she'd even understand.

Nah, I think I might disagree with your interpretation. He's already outgrown Chloe by the time the game starts. He's already made a choice on that score. Your version makes him into the dude bro I always suspected he might be (and I didn't like). That he would even consider leaving Elena lessens his likeability by about 80% for me. (And if I were Elena, I'd be out--gone, screw you, loser.) As is, it's a classic and realistic dilemma. He's happy but not happy. There's not enough challenge in his life. Elena is his rock, his savior, and also his partner. His betrayal was denying the last part, and not making his problem her problem to solve, too. Your rewrite would take away one of the best scenes in the game, where Nate admits he didn't lie to protect Elena--he lied to protect himself. That's the kind of truth that adults have to discover and lay bare to each other before they can move forward. Your rewrite places Nate in the predictable role of the manchild who can't decide between the whore or the virgin, so to speak. I find that much less interesting. What left me in a puddle at the end was happiness for Nate and Elena--that they found their happy ending, but they got there in the only way real people get there, through compromise, flexibility, and work. Another meta-aspect of it for me was just being proud and happy for gaming, that games with such depth are being made.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 19:30 (2887 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Your "ideal" story sounds pretty terrible and amateurish (love triangle! Forced to choose between the life he loves versus the life of normality!).

While I would have loved to see Chloe and Cutter again, I like that they presented a more grown-up story. Drake does love the life of adventure, but he willingly set it aside for a quiet non-illegal-activity life with Elena years ago, and it's not what motivates him anymore (the look Elena gives him as he talks about the Founders speaks volumes about how she understands him, and probably feels like she took that from him).

Chloe willingly stood aside for Elena six years prior to this game. It wouldn't make any sense for her character to suddenly want to seduce Drake, especially considering that we see her still working with him years after he got married. It would butcher two characters, and kill most of Drake's likeability and maturity.

It was bad enough that he hid the truth from Elena, who we know would have likely understood him, or at least supported him (for better or worse), and ALL of the characters chewed him out for it, and told him to drop out, but he refused, up until the truth about Sam came to light, then he flat-out wanted to stop the search. He had grown up. Sam then showed what path Nate would have been down if he hadn't grown up, which Nathan acknowledged.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 20:00 (2887 days ago) @ Korny

Chloe willingly stood aside for Elena six years prior to this game. It wouldn't make any sense for her character to suddenly want to seduce Drake, especially considering that we see her still working with him years after he got married. It would butcher two characters, and kill most of Drake's likeability and maturity.

Nope. Didn't you read her letter at the beginning of the game in the attic? She'd very much have liked a shot with Nate again romantically. Also, they weren't together in Uncharted 3 despite being legally married.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 20:07 (2887 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nope. Didn't you read her letter at the beginning of the game in the attic? She'd very much have liked a shot with Nate again romantically. Also, they weren't together in Uncharted 3 despite being legally married.

I saw the letter, yes. It read like a friend saying she's always around if he needs her. The letter is as follows:

“Nate –

How’s things? I’ve been up to my usual shenanigans. Nothing major, but enough to keep the heat on and the wine stocked.

Caught wind of something that sounded right up your alley – should you ever change your mind, give me a yell, I’m always on hand for a quick getaway.

Love, Chloe <3″

-

Only someone who reads too much into things would say "Get it? Quick Getaway? Hork hork!"
They made multiple references in the games about her being "the best (getaway) driver in the biz", and the note was a subtle callback to that.

Sometimes men and women can have platonic (and professional) relationships, believe it or not. Even after having been in a relationship at one point.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 23:43 (2887 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Having seen both Captain America Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse, I can completely and honestly say that the video game industry is making better action movies than Hollywood currently. Action films have seriously lost their way over the years (with few and far between exceptions)

I'm genuinely curious about which movies from the last few years you'd recommend. I can enjoy action movies as a genre with inherent quirks that annoy me, but I like a finely crafted film and your instincts tend to be good.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 13:02 (2886 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Having seen both Captain America Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse, I can completely and honestly say that the video game industry is making better action movies than Hollywood currently. Action films have seriously lost their way over the years (with few and far between exceptions)

I'm genuinely curious about which movies from the last few years you'd recommend. I can enjoy action movies as a genre with inherent quirks that annoy me, but I like a finely crafted film and your instincts tend to be good.

His instincts are good--especially when he agrees with me. ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 16:38 (2886 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I'm genuinely curious about which movies from the last few years you'd recommend.

Action films, or just films of any sort?

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 16:59 (2886 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You singled out action films, so lets go with that. I'm happy to hear others though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 30, 2016, 16:14 (2881 days ago) @ Robot Chickens
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, May 30, 2016, 16:17

You singled out action films, so lets go with that. I'm happy to hear others though.

Mad Max Fury Road, Dredd, John Wick, Mission Impossible 4, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingsman, Fast Five, The Raid 2. Not all of those are perfect, but they top anything else in recent memory by a lot.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread