Vanguard aircraft: Fw-190 (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 20:49 (2864 days ago)

Some of you may be aware of my aerospace leanings...if not, I'll catch you up later...
Now I'm building a Fw-190 slope scale glider, and instead of going crazy painting it with a scale theme (which is incredibly tedious and time consuming), I decided to go fantasy (like I did with my Halo A-10) and use the Vanguard theme as my pallet.

My question to you my friends, especially the more artistically inclined;
1) what do you think of my Photoshopped "attempt 1"?
2) What other pallet/theme suggestions might you have (other than Vanguard)?

I welcome graphical suggestions using my "canvas" pics. ;)

Pallet:
[image]

Canvas:
[image]

[image]

Attempt 1:
[image]

Vanguard aircraft: Fw-190

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 21:02 (2864 days ago) @ Mid7night

My comments are minor:

1) The angle's don't match. The angle of the Vanguard V is more obtuse than the angles you have there. That being said, you did say inspired, and so maybe that's what you were going for.

2) Personally, I like the idea of an asymmetrical paint job, something with the vanguard V on only one of the wings instead of split between them.

3) It's gonna be pretty cool no matter what you do with it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Vanguard aircraft: Fw-190

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 21:09 (2864 days ago) @ BeardFade

Thanks!

Yeah, I like the asymmetric idea as well (it is a bit, already); I had a version with just the Vanguard logo on the right wing, and the color bands for accent, but I wanted to try something that wasn't quite so literal. This grew out of that. That's also why the angles don't "match" - if I went with this concept I definitely would widen the angle of those lines.

FYI the bottom will likely be solid dark blue for up/down contrast.

Take 2

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 01:51 (2864 days ago) @ BeardFade

Widened the center "V", added spinner/cowl colors, added Vanguard logo to tail. Thoughts?

[image]

Better

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 10:14 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

Exaggerating the logo in this way works better for symmetry while not destroying the logo itself.

Maybe experiment with the logo going almost wing tip to wing tip. It might allow the logo's default asymmetry to stand while allowing it to be centred on the aircraft.

Better

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, May 26, 2016, 13:43 (2863 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I'm a fan of asymetry - something like this:
[image]

Better

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 15:17 (2863 days ago) @ Chappy

[image]

Ooh, I like that! I think I might use that as a bottom accent....minus the words...words are hard. :P

Here's what a wider-V might look like:

[image]

Better

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 17:41 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

Yes, that's a stylised version of what I was thinking.

If you have time to experiment more, try a huge version which maintains all of the original angles and size ratios. Sometimes a piece of a symbol is all you need to convey intent.

Better

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 17:54 (2863 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Yes, that's a stylised version of what I was thinking.

If you have time to experiment more, try a huge version which maintains all of the original angles and size ratios. Sometimes a piece of a symbol is all you need to convey intent.

Something like this?

[image]

I like this one the best, so far.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:02 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Absolutely. :)

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 19:39 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Win.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 19:49 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Better

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 16:03 (2863 days ago) @ Chappy

[image]

Ok, with this, I picture the V a bit bigger and extending further so it crosses the cockpit, so your mind fills in the missing piece of the V.

Take 5 (I think)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:04 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

After parsing all input, added cowl/tail/cockpit color...what say y'all?

[image]

Love it

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:15 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Decision time....

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:18 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

Collecting the three main variants, now I have to choose...cuz I need to paint it ASAP! (Hopefully flying Saturday)

[image]

[image]

[image]

Decision time....

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:32 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

I also like the version Chappy posted.

In order of sweetest to least: 3, 1, 2. (IMHO)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:36 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

edit: also liked Chappy's.

3 or chappy's (tied), followed by 1 and then 2.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:46 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

I think 3 is the easy winner.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:54 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Sealed

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 19:02 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

Consensus: 3

I agree. Thanks everyone for your input and feedback, I actually learned a lot in this short exercise. :)

Graphic arts is not primarily my "thing", although I possess skills with the tools enough to be dangerous; I feel like you all guided the design to a better piece of art. I think I'll have to brand it with a "DBO" somewhere to pay credit. :)

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 19:42 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Best thing about #3....

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 19:58 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

[image]

...it's actually the simplest and easiest to mask off for paint! :D

Best thing about #3....

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, May 26, 2016, 23:28 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

Not sure if I'm too late, but I was messing around with the design and did a quick mock up with a slightly larger version of the logo, but in the same genre of #3. The only thing I think this "fixes" is that the V shape is closer to a 90 degree angle than in #3. That being said, I like your tail piece paint job a lot more. Anyhow, I just thought I'd toss the idea into the ring.

[image]

[image]

Best thing about #3....

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 01:05 (2863 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Not sure if I'm too late, but I was messing around with the design and did a quick mock up with a slightly larger version of the logo, but in the same genre of #3. The only thing I think this "fixes" is that the V shape is closer to a 90 degree angle than in #3. That being said, I like your tail piece paint job a lot more. Anyhow, I just thought I'd toss the idea into the ring.

[image]

[image]

That's a neat take too...unfortunately, yeah I'm committed: ;)

[image]

Best thing about #3....

by Robot Chickens, Friday, May 27, 2016, 01:38 (2863 days ago) @ Mid7night

Nice! Can't wait to see the finished product

White & Orange progress!

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 02:48 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

Just pulled the masking off after shooting the white and orange ... I like where this is going! It dries pretty quick, so I should be able to mask and shoot the blue later tonight - Which I kinda need to do, because everything needs to dry before spraying the whole thing with clear enamel tomorrow. It needs to be drying tomorrow night before flying Saturday!

[image]

Oh yeah, and I still need to epoxy in a few pounds of lead in the nose ... no big deal. :P

I can hardly wait for the flight videos. :)

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, May 27, 2016, 10:40 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Speaking of...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 27, 2016, 11:30 (2862 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

This should be your next project.

WOW

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 27, 2016, 14:32 (2862 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Speaking of...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 14:56 (2862 days ago) @ bluerunner

That IS awesome! Unfortunately my hobby budget struggles as it is to keep up with just ONE genre of flying things...maybe I can do a glider based on a Destiny ship. The Agonarch Carve actually has stubs that look almost wing-like! :P

Speaking of...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 27, 2016, 15:22 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

That IS awesome! Unfortunately my hobby budget struggles as it is to keep up with just ONE genre of flying things...maybe I can do a glider based on a Destiny ship. The Agonarch Carve actually has stubs that look almost wing-like! :P

What about this?
[image]

Speaking of...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 18:02 (2862 days ago) @ bluerunner

What about this?
[image]

Definite contender. But ...oh my, those color hurt my eyes... O_o

:P

Speaking of...

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, May 27, 2016, 20:21 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

Looks un-flyable without an engine?

Maybe it would need a clear plastic Cunard for stability?

Speaking of...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 20:28 (2862 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Looks un-flyable without an engine?

Maybe it would need a clear plastic Cunard for stability?

Nah, at its core it's just a big delta-wing. The bigger problem is lack of useful vertical surfaces for lateral stability.

Speaking of...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 27, 2016, 20:37 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

Nah, at its core it's just a big delta-wing. The bigger problem is lack of useful vertical surfaces for lateral stability.

Space Magic.

Hurt your eyes with the sheer beauty of it, you mean, right?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 27, 2016, 21:31 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Final Paint...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 19:58 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

Finished blue this afternoon and just pulled the masking off...I was a little impatient putting it on last night, and evidently the orange and white weren't completely 100% dry, so the tape peeled off a few little spots, but y'know what; I actually like it!

-----Real paint: ----------- Photoshop concept -----
[image] - [image]

[image]

[image]

First coat of clear is drying now. :D

So COOL. Let's see it fly!

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, May 27, 2016, 20:19 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

If there's wind enough tomorrow, there will be a maiden...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 27, 2016, 20:28 (2862 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

Not enough wind yesterday ...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 19:47 (2860 days ago) @ Mid7night

Didn't maiden it, but still had a good day of flying all my other planes. I'll let you know when a storm rolls through and I actually fly the "Vanguard". ;)

Looks great!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 01:07 (2862 days ago) @ Mid7night

Did you ever consider taking the blue all the way out to the wing tips?

Too late now, but it's just a thought I had.

Looks great!

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 01:59 (2862 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Did you ever consider taking the blue all the way out to the wing tips?

Too late now, but it's just a thought I had.

No, but I did add a tiny strip of blue on the leading-edge, to protect it a bit more. I didn't want to extend the blue on the tips because I wanted to keep that contrast for the bottom. It's very important to be able to tell "UP" from "DOWN" quickly at a distance. O_O

Final WEIGHT...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 02:46 (2861 days ago) @ Mid7night

BTW, in case anyone is curious, I just balanced it with some nose weight (ok a lot...ok REALLY A LOT*) - CG placement is important - The final Ready-To-Fly weight is 95oz!!

That may not mean much if you don't fly gliders on this scale, but as a point of reference most "normal" gliders this size (4-ft wingspan) would be considered "a bit heavy" if they weighed 30-40oz.

Should be a screamer! Pray for big wind. :D

*Pre-balanced weight was 71oz, meaning it took a full 24oz to balance the plane. That's 1.5 POUNDS, just for balance weight!

Final WEIGHT...

by Up North 65 @, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 04:48 (2861 days ago) @ Mid7night

Just painted a Cessna and it added 22 pounds. 22 pounds is like 4 gallons of gas, or a case of beer, or like 22 one pound steaks!

Final WEIGHT...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 12:31 (2861 days ago) @ Up North 65

Just painted a Cessna and it added 22 pounds. 22 pounds is like 4 gallons of gas, or a case of beer, or like 22 one pound steaks!

You paint airplanes?
Wait, a full size Cessna? Which one? I trained in a 150, 152 & 172 ... My Grampa was a flight instructor and started taking me up when I was like, 8, and we had to move to progressively larger planes as I grew taller; two 6ft+ guys are a tight fit in a 152. :P

Yeah, paint adds more than people think, and on airplanes every bit of weight is non-trivial. I probably killed 2 or 3 cans of Rustoleum on this glider.

Final WEIGHT...

by Robot Chickens, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 13:46 (2861 days ago) @ Mid7night

You paint airplanes?

He fixes and flies them too.

Final WEIGHT...

by Up North 65 @, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 15:51 (2861 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Painted a 206. I have a 63 150 that I commute and mess around in.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread