Hand Cannon recommendations (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 00:20 (2904 days ago)

I need a recommendation for a HC that is NOT an exotic.

I ALWAYS run with Hawkmoon. I absolutely love it. I'm not totally sure why, to be honest. It just feels smooth, and seems to fit my style of play. I do like the two random bullets and the large magazine.

Unfortunately, this being my primary weapon of use, I rarely get to use my exotics in other slots. In Y1, this wasn't a problem, because I ALWAYS ran with my Fatebringer, RIP.

I would love to find another legendary hand cannon that fits my style of play. I only run a Hunter, and 90% of the time it's as a gunslinger. I value a large magazine, precision bonuses, faster reloads, and increased range. Probably in that order. I think I prefer higher impact over rate of fire. I ADS and aim for the sweet spot nearly 100% of the time. I like to play at a distance, rather than charge in to the fray.

Any suggestions on models and/or perks would be appreciated! What would be my "god roll" in your opinion?

Thanks!

Hand Cannon recommendations

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 00:35 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

The hand canon for you is the Devil you Know vendor version! Hope you bought it in year one and still have one.

Beware; Highly subjective

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 00:37 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

Are you talking for PvE, or PvP? Cuz you could still run FB in all Crucible save Trials and IB.

I like my Eyasluna and Y2 TDYK. But if you really want something for vanilla Crucible that hits like a train, look up the Vortimer-D. It's a Blue, and I can't even remember where it dropped on me, but it's really fun. Rewards slow, deliberate shots, but seriously it's got the highest impact of anything.

Don't go with The Vanity. Pick Eyasluna or Imago Loop.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 00:47 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Funkmon, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 00:53

The Vanity still crashes the game.

You'll probably want an Eyasluna or Imago Loop.

The Imago Loop has the same stats as a Fatebringer, and you can get it with Outlaw and Firefly, but it's rare. Aim for either or.

I have mine with Spray and Play, Litc, and some range perk.

Eyasluna is also very similar to your Hawkmoon. It can roll with Outlaw, and the last set is lamer. You may want hidden hand, reactive reload, or litc. If you do it right, you could get Outlaw, Smallbore, and Litc and have a mini Hawkmoon.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 00:49 (2904 days ago) @ Mid7night

My Eyasluna has rifled barrel, hidden hand, and rescue mag. Tons of range and accuracy. I think rescue mag is an underappreciated perk for hand cannons. In the heat of the battle it's nice to get a full mag without reloading when your health is low.

One that I don't see recommended a lot but I like is Byronic Hero from the crucible. It has perfectly vertical recoil, so it's a good one if you like to spam the trigger. If you can get one with outlaw it's great.

I'm still chasing a Fatebringer roll for Imago Loop. No luck so far.

Except it'd be effectively useless outside of PvP

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 01:00 (2904 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Patrols, man. I spend most of my time in patrols.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 01:03 (2904 days ago) @ someotherguy

Also, isn't it four AM there? Sleep, man.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 01:49 (2904 days ago) @ bluerunner

My Eyasluna has rifled barrel, hidden hand, and rescue mag. Tons of range and accuracy. I think rescue mag is an underappreciated perk for hand cannons. In the heat of the battle it's nice to get a full mag without reloading when your health is low.

One that I don't see recommended a lot but I like is Byronic Hero from the crucible. It has perfectly vertical recoil, so it's a good one if you like to spam the trigger. If you can get one with outlaw it's great.

I'm still chasing a Fatebringer roll for Imago Loop. No luck so far.

Just farm the Echo Chamber strike. It's really short and fun. Faster than doing the Undying Mind. :v

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 03:32 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

One of my absolute favorites is Zaouli's Bane--the one I have has Firefly, so that's my sexy Raid-bringer right there. Extra Taken damage, too. That's for PvE. PvP, I don't play, but the Ku-ma-ka-tok(mouthful) HC 4 is pretty good in terms of impact. (You did say Year Two.) Also, if you didn't get rid of any of the three Down and Doubts you got, those are also surprisingly helpful. Helped me get these. But I usually just do Storytime. ;-)

Oh, Yeah. Lol.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 03:36 (2904 days ago) @ Korny

Anybody remember that night when UM was the Nightfall and we got three or four groups of people to farm for the Imago Loop? And the only person in all the groups that got it was the only person in all the groups that wasn't interested in it?

XD

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 05:33 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

I got a God roll Imago Loop that I love. Pretty sure you'd love it too. No guarantee that you'll get that though. You might actually really like The First Curse were you to have it, but that's an exotic too.

crashes the game.

by Raflection, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 05:33 (2904 days ago) @ Funkmon

What?

by Raflection, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 05:37 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

TDYK
New monarchy HC
queens HC

All similar feel to hawkawesome

I think you'd like any of the above 3.
I don't like hand cannons and I have the queens one and it is really nice to play with. It's not too impact, it's in between TDYK and new monarchy so the queens is slightly lowering impact, slightly higher RoF nice stability and good range.

crashes the game.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 06:46 (2904 days ago) @ Raflection

What?

I said THE VANITY STILL CRASHES THE GAME.

Luck in the chamber/Firefly combo.

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 07:41 (2904 days ago) @ Raflection

Sometimes results in the game crashing.

The vendor Vanity is fine now. Outside of it being an Omolon hand cannon.

Morpheus414 bows

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 11:21 (2904 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

thanks!

by Oholiab @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 13:02 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

I appreciate the input. I'm making my list of potentials and looking forward to giving them a try!

thanks!

by Up North 65 @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 14:55 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

Finlas Peril with outlaw and Luck in the Chamber plus some range roll in the middle is my go to non-exotic hand cannon, Chickens has the same gun and loves it as well.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 16:35 (2904 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have a Y2 version with rangefinder and in practice it feels pretty much the same.

There's also Imago Loop which can drop from Vex strikes.

Both TDYK and Imago Loop are functionally similar to Fatebringer, so those are the two to look for.

Just curious if I should bother infusing this

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 17:03 (2904 days ago) @ Oholiab

[image]

Low range stat = no IMO.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 17:09 (2904 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

thanks!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 17:10 (2904 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Second.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 17:25 (2904 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I heard you better this time

by Raflection, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 18:06 (2904 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Raflection, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 18:07 (2904 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Wow. I never knew this, has it always been this way? Does the game just freeze?

Anyone got a vid??

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 18:56 (2904 days ago) @ Raflection

+1 for finnala's peril, mine is my baseline HC for Y2.

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 20:55 (2903 days ago) @ Up North 65

I'll post more later if you want, when I have time.

by Durandal, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 21:40 (2903 days ago) @ Oholiab

High Impact - (87/90)
Judith-D: Hits like a truck but ultimately fires too slow. I've tried it but you get outshot in PVP. In PVE you really need some reload perks.
Vanity can be ok.
Uffern works well in crucible with the right perks.

Mid Impact - (81)
Most good handcannons fall in this category. Like by gone but not forgotten Chance from Y1. They all have the same base RoF stat of 32, so the big selector is range and perks.
Lord High Fixer, Finnalla's Peril, Imago Loop, and Eyasluna all have the highest range stat. This is the key to why people like these the most, as the range on top of an additional range boosting perk means they handle well and have good target acquisition.

In PVE range isn't as important. I've gone through KF and CoE with Zoauli's Bane, which has a range stat of 15, less then half of the above HCs. You mainly have trouble shooting Acolytes at ranges where Pulses and Scouts still take them out easily. Generally, you can just advance and oneshot the lower mobs with satisfying firefly explosions.

Low Impact (68-71)
All the low impact HCs suffer from low range stats, and the magazine size and reload speed doesn't go up enough to compensate for the lower DPS. For example "Stolen Pride" has 3 fewer rounds, and only 5 extra points of reload speed vs. Eyasluna. While the low impact class is pretty smooth with low recoil and a faster RoF, it just doesn't feel worth it most of the time vs. the big hitters in the medium category. Aside from The Last Word, you just can't spam shots like you used too without having them vanish.

Recommendations;

For PVP:
Eyasluna With Surshot/Truesight - Rangefinder/Hidden Hand - Rifled Barrel Snapshot/Hammerforged/Small Bore
Finnalla's Peril with the same
Imago Loop with the same

I tend to go with max range over reload or lucky bullets, on the presumption that I have to hit with 3 shots anyway and maximizing this is better then relying on a lucky hit. That being said, Judith-D can two shot with a lucky bullet to the head, but you have to make the shots because a miss drops it from the fastest TTK to the lowest given its slow fire rate.

For PVE:
Anything with Firefly, especially one of the 81 impact high base range guns.

For fun:
Uffern with Luck in the chamber and outlaw. Paired with hand cannon loader arms, a headshot kill will grant you very fast reloads.

+1 to all of this :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, June 12, 2016, 23:52 (2903 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Just curious if I should bother infusing this

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 13, 2016, 04:25 (2903 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I pretty much agree, but I feel compelled to point out that with the April changes to the infusion system, there's not much reason not to infuse things anymore. Infuse it up, try it out, see if you like it. If you don't like it, you can just use it to infuse something else up to the same level. You've lost nothing except 3 legendary marks. I mean whoop de freakin' doo.

Unless you're 100% sure you hate the thing from the beginning. Then yeah, dismantle.

+1

by ProbablyLast, Monday, June 13, 2016, 06:52 (2903 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 13, 2016, 10:47 (2903 days ago) @ Korny

Just farm the Echo Chamber strike. It's really short and fun. Faster than doing the Undying Mind. :v

It's a darn shame I'm not driving toward Georgia right now.

FTFY...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:18 (2903 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's a darn shame I'm not on PlayStation.

Not really, personally...but it IS worth mentioning that strike is currently a PS exclusive. I THOUGHT Oholiab was on Xbox...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread